SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dani_m08

Need help with updating exterior + selecting new paint colors!

dani_m08
last year
last modified: last year

First- I did not select the current colors on my house (five years ago). My daughter and neighbor did (she does some interior design work - and the outside/inside of her house always looks very nice ). I had just had a major surgery - and with everything going on health wise, it just wasn’t that important to me.

I need help deciding several items:

1. Exterior paint colors for entire house (body/trim/shutters). The date for painting has just been pushed up - my SO agreed to new date!

My house faces east - so, the sun greatly affects how paint looks on my house. Sometimes the paint looks darker and lighter than in these photos I found!

Couldn’t find one on a sunny day in late morning/early afternoon except this one that I sent to architect -

I am adding a few windows on this side elevation on first and second floors + 3 windows will be added during upcoming basement finishing (plus, meter is being moved + patio will be added to this side)

Boxwoods are being trimmed/shaped later this afternoon. Plus, cedar fence is being powerwashed + sealed.

2. I want to buy new shutters and have then mounted correctly + install correct hardware. I havemt decided whicy type to purchase. My understanding is that traditionally colonials had raised panel shutters on the first floor + louvered shutters on the second floor. Obviously, my house is not a historic home - but I also don’t want to mix in elements that are not appropriate to the style of architecture.

3. I am going to change the current pillars/posts on my portico. They are currently 6” - I would like for them to be 8” - 10”. I have a few different styles that I’ve been considering (I will add photos in a later post).

4. I would like to change the garage door to something less boring/plain - but I also do not want to do anything that would cause it to be the focal point of the front exterior. I may also add a third garage stall.

5. I hate the amount of space between the top of the garage doors and the top of the gable. I’ve thought about adding a window. The window would be located at the end of my master bedroom closet. The size of my master bedroom closet was greatly increased due to the changed kitchen design - it is about 20’ long (runs most of the length of the garage except for a few feet that are used for the master bathroom) x 8’ wide. I would love having some natural light in my closet - but I’ve read some comments on Houzz from people who advise not to include a window in a closet.

I will add some additional photos of the back side of house in an additonal post. I am worried that if I have too many in this one, it will not let me post it.

Comments (13)