SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

I bet your spouse/SO isn't as stubborn as mine

Oakley
last year
last modified: last year

I haven't been online because it's been a hectic past few weeks and just when I think I can relax, THIS happened.

Let me preface this that DH has congestive heart failure which never goes a way, but he's been great!

You know I'm long winded, so bow out now if you're already bored.

Last Sunday, Day 1. DH woke up with a 102 temp. He said during the night he had awful chills so his temp was probably higher. Seriously extremely fatigued. Understatement there Sore throat, cough with congestion but not coughing a lot. DS1 gave us a Covid test and DH tested positive. I messed up the 2nd test so I have no idea if I have Covid or not. He wouldn't eat a bite of food but drank water all day.

FTR, DH is fully vaxxed.

Monday, Day 2. Fever again, and weak as a baby. I lectured him about how he has to eat or he won't get strong, so he ate a half of a fruit cup. I also told him a million times do NOT overdo it. While I was reading in the bedroom I went to check on him & he was sitting on his office chair. He said "didn't you hear me calling you, I collapsed and laid there for 20 minutes." As I was helping him go back to his recliner, everyone needs a recliner, he didn't have the strength to stand up. I called DS who is close by and we both had to help him to the car and DS took him to the ER. I didn't go because of Covid, I was exposed. Because of his CHF they did a ton of tests and he was good, but they told him not to overdo it and sent him home. DH told me he wished that they'd admitted him. He got his wish.

Get this. While he was in the ER, I took every hardback chair and made a chain of them from the LR to the DR, which is next to the kitchen and bathroom, just in case he gets tired.

Tuesday, Day 3. Still extremely fatigued, feverish, etc. He finally drank two Boosts a few hours apart. I swear by Boost when we're sick. He got a little energy back & was able to walk. I was less worried, until I heard a bad moaning coming from the patio. I ran out the back door and there he was, on the rock walkway right next to a flowerbed lined with hard wood. He had a nickel size scrape on his forehead which took the skin off. He was fine until he turned around to go back inside and collapsed. I had to bring a patio chair to him and it took five minutes for me to help him sit in it. Then I made a chain of chairs leading to the back door, and a chair for him to sit in as soon as he got inside. It took 15 minutes for him to move ten feet from his fall to the back door. He had a bump on his forehead but it wasn't bad. I cleaned the wound.

I asked if he was okay and he put his hand to his heart and said he's getting sharp pains there. I called 911 immediately. That was 9 pm. The EMT's sent a picture of his heart to the hospital and it looked fine, but they wanted to see him anyway. DH told my son and I to stay home because he doesn't know if they'll admit him or send him to the city, or let him go home.

Around 10:30 he called and said "I really don't understand what they're talking about but I have air outside of my left lung. His lung collapsed is what I told him. This is a small, rural hospital and I'm really proud of them. They did emergency surgery to insert a tube to get the air out of his chest, and immediately took him by ambulance to the city around 2am. He's in ICU.

Today he got out of bed for the first time & took a short walk with the nurse & was able to sit in a chair. It made him so tired he slept all afternoon. His voice was much better. He should be there through the weekend, and they have to take the tube out before he comes home, IF his lung is okay.

So, I dare you to top this story of living with the most stubborn human being on Earth. All day I kept thinking of drawing a Where's Waldo page, with Waldo being DH, and he'll be lying on the ground somewhere, and you have to find him. :)

Comments (45)