SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnkahler

Need help choosing roofing/siding/colors for house with Mansard roof

C Smith
last year

Hello! We purchased our home about 2 years ago. It’s unique in that it has a mansard roof, which is quite unusual in our area. I’ve tried searching online for comparable homes but they’re hard to find (and I realize a lot of people don’t like these roofs, but we’re stuck with it and I honestly don’t mind it!)

I am really struggling on how to update the look of our house. I think it looks a bit like a cottage, so I’d love a subtle sort of fairytale/storybook or European looks. I like earthy colors. I was thinking about doing the roof in dark brown and then doing scalloped style siding (I think it’s called “hardie” siding) in a complementary color around the windows but I worry that would clash with the roof shingles.

Our roofing and shingles were damaged in a recent storm, so this is a silver lining for us in that we’d otherwise not be able to afford to do all this work on our own just yet. That said, I want to put our money to good work and design something we really love. I am open to any and all suggestions but a little hesitant to paint our brick (but am open to it with the right design!) thanks so much in advance to anyone with suggestions!

Comments (7)