SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roxanna_gw

Chicken -- impossible?

roxanna
last year

With autumn upon us, and living in New England, soup making is often my go-to for meals. Especially chicken soup, thickened broth with noodles, carrots and onions and diced chicken. However, over the past many years, I have found that today's chickens simply do not have much flavor. Frustrating!

In the past, I have used capons for my soups, rich and flavorful, but rather expensive -- if they can even be found... A decade ago, a city butcher shop did get me some capons, but I had to buy a full case of 6, which was $$$$$. Make that $$$$$$$...

60+ years ago, my mother was always able to get her hands on fowl (old hens) for her soup, which was the best, but fowl have long been absent from any modern markets. This is a huge mistake, IMHO, but the general public today has no use for fowl (and don't know what they are missing in flavor for soups!).

Any suggestions how I can improve today's chicken offerings?? Broiler? Roaster? Sell my good-looking grandkids and buy capons again??? Help meeeeee...

=)

Comments (15)