SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlcbm

Completely stuck on siding & trim color w/red brick and "autumn" roof

jlcbm
last year

We are really stuck trying to determine new exterior color scheme for our house. The previous owner put on a Presidential roof that I think is "autumn" which reads very red/orange to me. It's a 50-year guarantee so the roof is not going anywhere - we have to work with it. We also have a mottled red brick facade on the main level under the wrap-around porch.

We are having an impossible time deciding on new color scheme that works with the orange roof (which I dislike and want to downplay if possible). Husband wants "stately" appearance. I'd like a house that is welcoming, inviting, and maybe cheerful. Can we marry the two of those together with an orange roof??

Considerations:

• Front of house seems "flat" and dominated by roof. I think we need more contrast i.e. contrasting color around window trim to provide more interest?
  • There is not enough space between windows for shutters.
  • Brick elements similar to the facade/garage are common in our neighborhood. However, we are open to painting or keeping the natural brick (or limewashing although that doesn't seem to be common practice here).
  • Front of house has southern exposure so takes all-day sun year-round. We're in the greater Seattle area, but even here on sunny days in the winter, the all-day sun exposure makes the front-facing upper rooms hot. The rest of the house is fairly shaded due to elevation gains and trees.
  • Porch was just redone with Apex Alaskan Driftwood (it's more gray in person than on their websites)
  • Plan to "wrap" new porch posts to make them more substantial. Open to staining them, but leaning towards painting.
  • Would like the garage door not to stand out so much, planning to paint it the body or trim/accent color.
  • The painter prefers Sherwin Williams.

Houzzers we're hoping you have the color palette solution we need!

On a sunny day:

On an overcast day:

Brick is on front facade under the wrap-around porch, and on the lower third front of garage. The rest of the house has wood siding.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida