SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

Fudge Batter Pudding - Shaker Hancock Village

CA Kate z9
last year

I said I would post a quick recipe on another post, but didn't find it; but I did find this and thought it might be worth sharing. The name is a misnomer since it is actually a cake with a sauce/pudding either on the top or bottom. (I don't remember since it's been a long time since I've made this, but it once was a family favorite.)

The recipe is a colonial one and was on a table in an old-time kitchen at this touring farm/village along with the finished product for all to see. I took a photo of the recipe.

Fudge Batter Pudding Shaker Hancock Villiage ***

Serves; 6

Ingredients:

Sauce:

1/2 cup white Sugar

5 Tablespoons unsweetened Cocoa Powder

1/4 teaspoon Salt

1&2/3 cups boiling water

Batter:

2 Tablespoons Butter, melted

1/2 cup Sugar

1 teaspoon Vanilla

Scant 1 cup AP Flour

3 Tablespoons unsweetened Cocoa Powder

1 teaspoon Baking Powder

1/2 teaspoon Salt

1/2 cup whole Milk

1/2 cup coasely chopped Walnuts or Pecans

Directions:

Set oven for 350º. Butter 1&1/2 quart baking dish.

1. Combine Sugar, Cocoa Powder, and Salt in a bowl and stir until combined. Pour in the boiling Water and stir until completely dissolved. (this will be very liquidy and not at all sauce-like). Pour this into the baking dish.
  2. Combine the melted Butter, Sugar and Vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl sift together Flour, Cocoa Powder, Baking Powder and Salt. Stir Milk into the butter mixture and add alternately with the Cocoa mixture. Stir in the Nuts.
  4. Drop large spoonfuls of this batter onto the chocolate sauce already in the baking dish.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes.
  6. Cool slightly and serve warm. This can be topped with Vanilla Ice Cream or Whipped Cream if desired.

Comments (4)