SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Buying and selling logistics - when and in what order?

My husband and I own a home and live in the NYC suburbs. We also own a 1 bedroom co-op in NYC that is currently being used as a rental (about $600 monthly income after taxes; this will probably increase to $850 in the next 6 months). We are planning to move out of state in the next couple of years and will likely sell both properties (I'm not keen on being a long distance landlord). The equity from either property will likely be enough to cover 20% down on the new place, though we'll have to pay cap gains on the apartment sale and prices in NYC have not fully recovered from the COVID dip.
As for the new house, I have been keeping an eye on our target market over the past 6 months. Houses seem to sell pretty quickly, and there are limited suitable properties (we want direct waterfront). Given these parameters, how would you set the schedule for listing these properties? Wait until we find the perfect home in new location? Obviously we can sell the apartment anytime and sit on the cash, but since rents are up while sales haven't recovered (and I have a great tenant), I'm disinclined to sell anytime soon. I know it will be easier to buy the new place if we have our down payment in hand, though, rather than waiting on the sale of our current home. We're willing to move into a short-term rental in the new location if necessary but we'd prefer to avoid that unless we decide to build a house instead of buy. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments (8)