SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joanna_lamb

Colors for a Vacation Cabin

last year

My husband and I just bought a great little cabin/vacation home in the mountains. It sold furnished, but the furnishings are like a 90s time capsule, all hunter green and cranberry. I like greens and I like red, but I would really like to start redecorating with more modern upholstery. The walls and ceiling are cedar planking, so I was thinking maybe sage and russet colors, borrowed from the autumn woods? I want to avoid anything "rustic" looking (no bears, no country Americana please) but I'm just looking for collective ideas on hook to get me started down the right path. Originally I thought yellows, but I think the cedar is so overwhelming that yellows would just blend in rather than contrast with the walls.

Any and all suggestions welcome. This is just the beginning of this redecorating journey.

I'd also like a suggestion on how to place the furniture so it's more focus on the fireplace. The big pine cabinet in the corner is made to hold an old analog TV, complete with VCR and VHS tapes, so I'd like to replace it with something that still provides storage but isn't so dominating. A small sideboard next tot he window, maybe. We don't need a TV in this room, so that's not a consideration..

(Those camo-looking shades and valances have already been removed and replaced with natural-fiber shades. The green curtains over the French doors unfortunately have to stay a while longer.)

Please, give me all your zaniest suggestions!

Comments (12)