SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

What's your dream/favorite vacation?

msrose
11 years ago

I went to Hawaii on my honeymoon in 1986 and Jamaica six months after that. Since then I've been to some cabins in Arkansas three times, but the last time I went was probably ten years ago, so I think I'm overdue for a fantastic vacation. I'd love to hear where you would go if you could go anywhere or where your favorite place is that you've already been. It doesn't have to be another country. It can be to New York to see a broadway play or a cabin in the mountains, etc.

Comments (86)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You're welcome! And I appreciate the opportunity to remember our trips to those wonderful places.

I'll throw in a couple more pics to whet your appetite:
    Columbia River Gorge

Yellowstone:

• porkandham
    11 years ago

I've never really found the French to be that rude. In fact, I find it funny when I'm trying to use my high school and college French, they're trying just as hard to practice their English!

Cumberland Island is great. I love the Greyfield Inn. We have a couple of friends with houses there, but for most, camping and the Inn are the only options.

We went to Greece for our honeymoon. I especially loved Santorini. We were supposed to go to Turkey as well, but 9/11 happened about midway through our trip, and we weren't comfortable traveling to a Muslim country. In hindsight it would've been fine, but on 9/12/01, it was the right decsion for us. I hope I get another chance to visit Turkey!

I've been on safari in Kenya, and that was probably the most amazing trip I've ever been on. Highly recommend!

• Related Discussions

What is your favorite feature about your pond?

Q

Comments (32)
    Nancy, I keep their compartment doors shut until I see them sitting on top of the house each year. They make it very easy for me because they arrive almost the same day of the month every year. Then I open the doors and they set up housekeeping and I don't think any birds we have will bother them then. They are pretty feisty. But you don't want to let some other bird get into their house and set up houskeeping before they do. Then when they say goodbye and leave I clean out their compartments and shut the doors again until the next year. This year hubby and I left for 2 weeks before they left. The day we returned we were out by the pond and they flew down around us twittering, very obviously saying goodbye. The next day they were gone. It was as though they were waiting for our return to leave. I haven't had any problems so far... We are planning to put up more houses for them next year. Glenda
    ...See More

What Are Your Favorites / Mainstays of Your Gardens?

Q

Comments (42)
    Pam - I see you saw my comments on the rudbecka Rustic not-really-dwarf mix on the other thread. For folks who missed that, the 1/8 oz pack at Swallowtail (in their annual seeds section) contains about 3000-4000 seeds so that actually beats the prices on most of what they offer in their bulk section. The Swallowtail bulk section is always worth checking, but sometimes they also have wickedly huge seed packets at low prices in their regular section. Some of my faves there include: California poppies at 4500 seeds for $2.49 - $2.95 depending on type. Strawflowers, 5000 seeds for $2.49 Cosmos, 1300 seeds for $1.95 Foxgloves Excelsior hybrids at 20,000 seeds (yes, no typo) for $2.95 but currently out of stock. (But you could get 2500 seeds from ValueSeed.com for $0.99 if you need a bunch right now.) They've got some other bargains in there too but those are my favorites. Their xeranthemum and paper daisies have bargain packs but I wasn't impressed with the flowers or plants - especially when compared to their tall strawflower mix. That tall strawflower mix is a real winner. I didn't know they were as hardy as they were - my plants were green and flowering into the beginning of December here. In your area you might still have them blooming at Christmas. Another of my favorites is Helenium Autumanale - especially after seeing it as Bluestone's Perennial's cover flower in last year's catalog. I bought a pack from the bulk section at Swallowtail - 1000 seeds for just under $10. I got those in late May last year. The germinated fast (and with a very high germination rate), transplanted well, many bloomed the first year and I got a nice seed farm level of seed out of those. Helenium flowers are gorgeous with a lot of variety. They blow in the breeze in a super pretty way. I don't think it's possible to take a bad photo of them. I ended up hositing a photo group on Flickr just for helenium flowers because they are so beautiful. They are even super easy and fun to seed save from - seeds pop right off without fuss. AND they are long lived and perennial to zone 3. Oh, and they propagate easily by division so that once you have a favorite color you can divide it and make a garden full of clones if you like. I also think that they are likely to be a hot item for gardenweb seed and plant trading. Unless everyone who reads this ends up growing their own. :) Lynda Here is a link that might be useful: Slideshow from Flickr Helenium group
    ...See More

What is your favorite memory with your grandparents?

Q

Comments (15)
    My Grandad was a dairy farmer who farmed the old way with horses and such, and I spent every available moment at the farm. I have so many memories of Grandpa that I hardly know where to start, but I think one of my fondest memories was when I was 5 years old. They were hauling hay and I was riding the wagon, basically just getting underfoot so Grandpa worked out a solution. He had me stand at the front of the wagon and handed me the reins for the horses, he said, "if your gonna be in the field you gotta work, so you drive the team"....and I learned how to drive a team of work horses that day. (now keep in mind that Grandpa still had total voice command over the horses if a problem should arise). Grandpa was also a blacksmith and at 12 years old I was hanging out in the shop watching him work at the forge & anvil, and he says,,,"step over here boy,,its time you learned to make horse shoes too"... You can be sure my first attempt was at best almost a failure,,but i still have that horseshoe as a fond rememberance of Grandpa. For recreation Grandpa played a fiddle and had a job on weekends playing fiddle and calling Square Dances in a band at a local dance hall. I can remember many a night we would finally be done with all our chores about 9pm, go to the house and have a late supper, then Grandpa would take his fiddle down and play for an hour or so before we went to bed. When I turned 16 Grandpa used to take me with him to the dance hall, and that is where I learned to dance waltz's, Polka's, Foxtrots and Square Dances. I also used to love to hang around in the kitchen and Grandma taught me how to catch and clean a chicken, duck or goose, cook, bake bread, pies or home can fruits and veggies, but my fondest memories of Grandma were also late in the evening just before bedtime. Grandma never had a haircut in her life, but she always wore her hair up in a bunn. In the evening she would sit on a dining chair in the kitchen and let her hair down, and it would reach the floor, and I used to sit behind her and comb it out while Grandpa played the fiddle. At bedtime Grandma would open the oven on her old coal stove and take out a big firebrick that she had heated up. She would wrap that brick with a towel and I would head up to the bedroom, brick in hand. The brick was placed under the covers at the foot of the bed to keep our feet warm.
    ...See More

I'm going on a dream vacation!

Q

Comments (27)
    Leaf color in that region starts in mid-September and peaks near Oct. 1. The woods will be full of leaf peepers on weekends. I envy you!! Take a good camera. The weather can be highly variable. Expect dampness to rain every 3rd day. You may have cool nights with warm afternoons. Watch the hurricane tracks for clues. A hurricane sweeping up the coast will bring rain to that region.
    ...See More
  • hhireno
    11 years ago

Some of the fun of an adventure is in the dreaming & planning. I think you need to get your sons involved with the plotting and planning now. Not only will they be more invested in the experience, it will benefit them to know that it takes plotting and planning and careful saving to achieve it.

Where do they want to go?

If they don't have a specific place, you can be armed with the list of wonderful suggestions from this thread.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Totally agree w Hhireno.

In fact they have studied this, and research shows that the planning of vacations and the anticipation, provide more satisfaction then the actual vacation.

I would definitely try to include your sons. To me, that is one of the most valuable -correct that- the most valuable, part of vacationing. Sharing new things together, and focusing on one another as you are pulled away from work, friends, chores, etc!

Find out where they've always wanted to go. San Fran? NY? White water rafting? South Beach?

I'd also chime in and say that, IMHO, there is no need to save up or break the bank. You have been vacation deprived for 10 years! Find something nearby and go ASAP. And then go again! There are so many choices!

• hhireno
    11 years ago

And I agree w/mntrd,
    Go somewhere ASAP and start planning for another trip. Life can be too short. Travel now. And later.

• Jamie
    11 years ago

Hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon: Check

Skating the canal at Winterfest in Ottawa: Check

China before it got McDonalds: Too late

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

Maire-Cate, how did you find the driver in Ireland? Would you mind emailing me his information? Last August, my husband and I went to Ireland. My parents were supposed to go as well - we were to be together for only one part of the trip (the Navy-Notre Dame game in Dublin and visiting my mom's relatives). Dh and I were then going to go our separate way as it was an anniversary trip for us as well. My parents were going to go on a package tour through his alma mater, but it sold out very quickly. They ended up not going after they found out my father, 77 y/o, was too old to be able to rent a car, and my mother would never drive in Ireland. I later found out that many people hire drivers, but by then it was too late for them to go. I know they would still love to go back to Ireland as it's been years for them, so I'd love to give them the name of someone they could hire. If you feel comfortable sharing his information with me via email, I'd really appreciate it.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

"OMG, I've always wanted to go to THAT island too but I didn't recall the name ... is there something like Sullivans Island?"

Still behind & just checking up on responses to my own contributions. (Can't wait to see where else people have gone.)

mtnr, there are other islands. You might be thinking of St Simons Island or Little St Simons. Then there's Jekyll Island - Federal Reserve! We actually spent some time on St Simons, but not long, and what I remember is that it was quite tailored and spiffed up. But like I said, we didn't stay long and thus didn't explore. I'd love to stay on Little St Simons.

that last picture of Yellowstone, which I just saw when scrolling down, is gorgeous, Annie. Now I want to go back there, too!

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I agree, I loved Yellowstone. It was like being on another planet.

I totally agree that the planning is fun. I am the Official Planner (with the help of a travel agent we've used for 10+ years) for our family for almost all of our trips. Occasionally DH gets involved. We are going to Sedona, Grand Canyon, Bryce, and Zion in June and he is in charge of that trip because I find it a little overwhelming and he seems to have specific ideas of what he wants to do/see.

We are going to St. John for the first time this month (YAY) and we just made dinner reservations for each night thru the hotel, and now I am really excited. While the rest of the family is going to St John, my oldest DS (age 20) is traveling alone to visit a friend in Costa Rica. I am a bit nervous about that, but as soon as I know he's there, I'll be able to relax on my beach chair with a pina colada.

I thought I already listed my favorites -- I was trying to be brief -- but I have to add Venice to my list too. What a magical place. I'm dying to go back! A few years ago we did a trip to Venice and Florence and it was just amazing. We also had a driver for one day who took us to some towns in Tuscany, which was such a treat.

I really love Paris, too. We have been once with kids and once without. I would go every year if I could.

• texanjana
    11 years ago

Love this thread! For those who asked, we will spend 5 days in Istanbul, then go on the cruise linked below, then spend a couple of days in Athens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mediterranean Cruise

• Jamie
    11 years ago

Oh, I get so practical and then I forget my REAL dreams...

To go around the world for a couple of years on a cruise ship condo. Originally, there was only the Residensea, but I think there might be a couple more of them by now.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

How could I forget Denmark! Been 3 times when I had a 'love interest' for 5 years, who was Danish. Two of the times were summer, one the hottest on record! The third time, the coldest winter on record, and that is no lie! This wonderful young man paid for all my trips, as well as taking me out to many dinners, and the trip to Venice~did I mention he was quite a bit younger?

Denmark is the most beautiful country you can imagine and I love the food, my favorite being the smoked salmon smorbrod(small sandwiches). Even though I was the same age as his Mother(yes, you read it here!)she accepted me and would introduce me as her daughter in law, which I never did become. Needless to say, the people in DK are the friendliest in very likely all of Europe! Maybe that's why DK has been rated/voted the happiest country in the world.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Sueb20, we just got back from Costa Rica. We found the people to be friendly and helpful. That said, we did do the typical tourist things.
    However, my youngest DD spent a semester there. Her school and host family was in San Jose. Each weekend she traveled every where and with out incident.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Has anyone ever gone on a river cruise? I don't like being on a huge cruise ship where I can't see land, just a little quirk of mine. I have the same fear of heights. But I love flying.

if you have, was it a good experience/worth the money? Advantages/disadvantages? I keep getting brochures from Viking Cruises, but have no experience with the line and don't know anyone who has.

Here is a link that might be useful: viking

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

Sueb, dh and I went to St. John about 10 years ago - beautiful! If you can, rent a car and drive around the island and do some exploring. We took snorkeling gear from the hotel and found some secluded beaches that had some wonderful snorkeling. I've always wanted to go back, but have too many other places on my "must see" list. Where are you staying?

• porkandham
    11 years ago

We go to St. Simon's and Sea Island at least once a year. We were married on SSI and had our reception at the Cloister on Sea Island. I've never been to Little St. Simon's though. I imagine it's very similar to the Greyfield Inn on Cumberland.

Mtn. - There is a Sullivan's Island near Charleston. It's much more developed than Cumberland.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

SueB,

Costa Rica can be dicey in urban areas; which is true just about anywhere. I would not have any particular concerns. I do have a totally extraneous comment for anyone considering Costa Rica --- do not go during what they call "Gold Season". This is a euphemism for "Dead-Brown-Vegetation-as-far-as-the-Eye-Can-See-Except-the-Manicured-Lawns-of-your-Hotel-Season".

Please, pass this along to Mr. SueB, who I understand is in charge of your June trip:
    Last June we did a Southwest Trip. It was a sort of a sampling of the region and so we did not do Bryce and Zion as we were already doing Grand Canyon and Lake Powell (formerly a Canyon). I didn't want to make our trip to over-canyoned, if you will. We met friends in PHX, then went to the GC via Sedona, then onto Lake Powell where we rented a houseboat, then to Santa Fe to see the open air opera, then to CO to a very cool dude/bison ranch and the Sand Dunes, then to Denver and flew home.

Seeing your planned itinerary, there is some overlap and so I wanted to share a few points you might find of interest.

As you probably know everyone recommends El Tovar in the GC. We booked almost 1 yr in advance and still couldn't get the direct canyon view rooms we wanted (altho we did on check in). Same lead time for the mule ride, btw. Tovar is as good as it gets but it is frankly pretty dumpy, and lousy food too. I would stay in Sedona and then do a day trip to GC on your way to someplace else.

After GC, I'd really consider Antelope Point Marina on Lake Powell (on the border of Utah and AZ). We have travelled many many places and I have to say this is one of my favorite spots in the world. Essentially, they damned up a canyon larger than the GC 50 years ago, and we have Lake Powell. The scenery is stunning. And the houseboat is so much fun! It is not luxurious per se, but they are clean, new and large (72 feet. 4 br and 2 ba, full kitchen with full size appls incl d/w). The coolest part is the slide from the top deck (which goes right into the lake), and the hot tub and bar (also on the top deck). Coupled with jetskis, a speedboat, and a raft, it is terrific fun. You can dock in a private cove --- nothing but nature visible for 360 degrees --- and explore the canyons on jetski. Highly recommended!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Sorry, forgot to say thanks for the Greyfield Inn recc. I think I will have to go there when we do our Southeast trip.

• msrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I notice Venice keeps coming up :) Sounds like that might be a good (expensive) one.

• YoursTilNiagaraFalls
    11 years ago

Paris made me want to live a better life. The Parisians I encountered were lovely.

We've traveled a fair amount. One place we especially loved was a little island (part of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines) called Bequia. Tranquil, authentic, stunning. My SIL lived in Barbados at the time, so we bopped over on a little island-hopper. Highly recommend it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bequia

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

India. No question about it.

I'd go pretty much anywhere, though. I love traveling, but have not done enough of it. My original life's plan was to have 2 kids, and go back to work as a teacher once they were in school. During summer break, we'd be spending all of our time traveling.

5 kids later . . .that is not happening.

Thinking of how I can take just my oldest DD to Japan this spring with my mom, though.

This is what I watch when I get the urge to travel . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Globe Trekkers

This post was edited by anele on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 23:48

• abundantblessings
    11 years ago

msrose, Venice is nice, but maybe a tour is in order to get an overview, especially if you don't have folks you're planning to visit or a particular interest in one spot. If that idea appeals, you can get a rail pass or look for a package that includes France, Switzerland, Italy, Luxemburg, Monaco, England for a 1st trip. Or just do a tour of Italy. Then you will have a taste, and it will be just a taste, but can plan to zero in on future ventures.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

4 kids - I sent you an email.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Anele, I am thinking about Vietnam. Do you have a reputable travel company for a guided tour there?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Ellendi,

We just came back from Vietnam.

• fourkids4us
    11 years ago

Maire_Cate, I just looked for your email but didn't have one but I've never used the feature before (I looked at my profile and do have it checked to receive email so not sure what's wrong). I will email you through your profile and hopefully then you can reply back to me.

Thanks!

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

Ellendi, no, I'm sorry, I do not. I have always known people in the countries to which I've traveled, so I get tips from them. Never used a guided tour. :)

How exciting for you to be going to Vietnam!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I guess it depends on why you want to see Vietnam, but assuming you are travelling there from the US I would definitely try to see more of Southeast Asia than just Vietnam if you go. We did Saigon (Park Hyatt Saigon I think clearly the best choice, and much nicer than that brand here in the US). We toured the city and did a day cruise on the Mekong Delta.

The funny thing about Saigon is they show off three things. Lovely buildings built by the French, the euphemistically named "Reunification Palace" built by us and run over by NV tanks when they fell, and their Chinatown (fascinating to go to the street where they sell Chinese medicines like dried geckos - whole!).

There is of course also the Vietnam war "tourism", such as the museum that they used to call "The War Atrocities Museum" but renamed for the Park Hyatt crowd as the "War Remembrance Museum". But there is not much indigenous Vietnam

We liked meeting the people and the Mekong delta trip was exotic. But like a lot of Asia it is pretty dirty and very crowded. We didn't consider much of the North, as it has a lot of Soviet Constructionism and Hafong harbor is supposedly very polluted. (but note we didn't really consider it much)

I would definitely add in Cambodia and probably Thailand. Could also use Singapore as a pivot point and go to Bali or Borneo. Glad to be of help if you have any questions at all, Ellendi.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Thanks anele and mtnrdredux!

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

4 kids - I did receive your email through the GardenWeb and replied - twice actually - just to play it safe.

If for some reason you don't receive it just let me know and I'll post the info about the chauffeur on this thread.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'm hoping to go...maybe this summer for our 35th anniv....take a river boat cruise down the Danube....Prague to Budapest...

But we're having issues that may prevent us from going....so we'll see.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I am much like AB-- I can enjoy myself most anywhere. I've stayed in luxurious hotels and in tents. It's all about the escape and the experience.

I haven't traveled much these last 10 yr. Work pressures-- and then unemployment pressures lol. I have a couple of local mid-atlantic spots where I go for a quick recharge. I enjoy each, can get to them with minimal transportation hassle and can generally get last minute reservations.

But my travel rut may well change very soon. My dream vacation has been a trip to Madagascar-- and suddenly a few things have happened that make it a very real possibility. We've only just started discussing it but we're pretty serious about a trip in 2014. Has anyone here been?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Funky,

No, but we did look into it -- and decided against it. In 2009 we decided to take the family on a safari vacation. I had already done Kenya and Tanzania, so we chose South Africa (that way we could also see Capetown as well as go on safari). My son was studying Madagascar in school and so we considered including it in our itinerary.

At least at that time, we concluded it was fairly unsafe, pretty dirty, lacking a good tourism infrastructure, very very poor, and, if memory serves (?) I think there was a fairly serious pollution problem. We decided it was one of those places that sounds better than it is. The ring-tailed lemur is not really enough to base a vacation on, KWIM?

So, anyway, this is really from memory ... it was 4 years ago. So YMMV. Maybe if you tell us what intrigues you about Madagascar, the board can suggest alternatives?

• User
    11 years ago

Mtn, when you go to Greyfield make sure you do this in the spring or fall as the Inn has no air conditioning. It's beautiful, and the food is wonderful but mid to late summer is HOT with only ceiling fans. People vie for the two swinging beds on the front porch. There are also a few houses you can rent on Cumberland, and work something out for dinners at the inn. We hired the naturalist to take us hunting for fossils all over the island, and walked ourselves to Dungeness several times.

We've been fortunate to be able to travel as adults, and I went to boarding school in Europe and traveled quite a bit, always to a purpose... our English class read Hamlet in Kronborg Castle in Denmark, for example. I think my first solo transatlantic flight was at age 13 or 14---on Icelandic Air (if anybody remembers that one). We developed engine trouble and had a long layover in Iceland in mid-September... I saw very little of Reykjavik and would LOVE to return--in the SUMMER.

One fondly remembered vacation: I spent my 21st birthday with five friends in the Arctic Circle in Sweden, as part of a Scandinavian summer. Reindeer steaks and cloudberry cream dessert was the birthday dinner menu :-)

My goto vacation spot is London. Any time of year, for any reason whatsoever.
    Vacation that surprised me the most: Glasgow.
    Most fun vacation with a kid: Costa Rica.

DH wants to go to Giverny and spend a week in the spring, drinking up all the beautiful colors and flowers of the impressionist paintings he loves so. His favorite museum is the Musee d'Orsay, and for his bday a few years ago we went to Paris for a long weekend and I hired a working artist to take us through the d'Orsay with wonderful commentary. We're hoping to go next spring to Giverny--- every year we think about it but have too many meetings in March and April to get away.

I have to say, though, that I never know which destinations are going to appeal. I've been surprised more than once.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Mtnrd, I appreciate your warnings. I am only just starting my research in earnest-- but my long-time desire to go to Madagascar wasn't driven by the charm of the lemurs, the movie (though I do love that silly movie!) and definitely not with an expectation of a luxury vacation. Though my career is technical, my educational roots (and heart) are in the biological sciences. The range of diversity of flora and fauna in Madagascar are extraordinary-- we all know lemurs and coelacanth but there's so much more to be discovered on this island. Additionally, much like South Africa, the island has an incredibly diverse landscape-- barrier reefs, lush hills, rain forests and desert that support a wide range of activities including hiking, kayaking, snorkeling and diving. Just as diverse as the landscape are the cultures of various tribes and the influences of the Indians, Africans and French (also like parts of South Africa-- particularly the eastern coast). And of course, the food and spices (particularly vanilla) are intoxicating to me as a lover of food & cooking. Honestly, the thought of going tickles all of my senses.

I am not going in blindly-- I've read articles and books revealing both the good and the bad. I am very much aware of the poverty and the dangers of traveling to a country that doesn't have a developed tourism infrastructure. Surely I have more research to do (and thankfully plenty of time to do it)-- but I have a huge leg up on the research and planning as we'll be going to spend time with friends of my bf who are living/teaching there.

I have been to South Africa and would love to plan a stop there as well-- though realistically, time is going to be an issue. While, of course, I spent time in Kruger and Johannesburg and other well-known tourist stops, much of my time was spent visiting much lesser known destinations--doing things the locals do. I spent time in schools, spent a weekend on a chicken farm, hiked and camped in the mountains. Unfortunately, I dropped the Capetown trip because I had the opportunity to meet and spend the day with Alan Paton (now deceased author of "Cry, the Beloved Country"). I do hope to make it to Capetown the next time around. This was a volatile time -- I stayed in a small town outside Durban and there were bombings in both my town and nearby Durban as well as the much publicized bombings in Johannesburg (this was early 80s). Though my home base was a very liberal area, this was in the time of apartheid and great unrest between factions. While of course, I want to be safe, I think these realities are part of the travel experience. I learned so much more about the culture by living in it-- the history, culture, politics look very different when living with them day by day. I don't approach all my vacations this way-- I can surely appreciate a day on the beach, in the spa or a trek through a museum.. but IMO the immersion vacations are the ones that can change us.. and change our world views.

My biggest concerns at the moment are around planning to be away for 4 weeks and getting in shape for the level of outdoor activities I'd like to do. Also, I have a blood clotting disease that makes such long flights a concern. I'll need to consult with my drs and reconsider preventative treatments. And of course, I need to read, read, read.

In the end, reality may very well cause me to pass on the opportunity-- the time and expense may prove too much. I am in the process of downsizing and reorganizing my life to make more time for travel and to start a business. Those two things work against each other lol.. so in addition to doing much research in the next year, I'll need to do some real soul searching too-- we're not a young couple and there are many places we'd like to visit while we can. A trip to Madagascar would be the equivalent of 3 10-day trips elsewhere in the world.

Whoa, that was a very long post-- and went way beyond answering your question. I do thank you for the offer to suggest other destinations... that's what the thread is all about :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

KSWL,

I emailed the inn. DH and I are going to try to do a trip there, sans bebies, the first week of June. It looks like they added A/C, which should help. The way the ferries run, we will miss the last one the day we fly in. We will fly JFK-JAX. Jacksonville is not much of a hotel town; should we be looking closer to Cumberland Island? Any suggestions appreciated.

Funky,
    Oh no, I meant that a ring-tailed lemur wasn't enough to base a vacation on for US --- my son was in 3rd grade at the time, studying it in school and I am pretty sure that the ring-tailed lemur was one of the reasons he asked to go to Madagascar (don't think he'd seen the movie)!

I was going to say New Zealand or the Amazon, but clearly since you have friends there, that's the best information and insight possible (and, I assume, you'd like to see them, too). Unrest with a family of five (at the time, ages 4-8) is not something we could court, but of course it is different when you are plugged in and when it is just you. It sounds like a fantastic trip and I do hope you get to go!

Anele,
    Been meaning to ask you about some of your favorite experiences in India. I've only seen the business cities, so not much of a true flavor. What do you recommend seeing there? Thanks in advance!

• funkyart
    11 years ago

ha.. well, 3 kids makes all trips an adventure! I did understand why you made the decisions you did.. and I understand your warnings. Like I said, we need to really think this through but we have a great opportunity and some time to make it work if we want to. Bf is already balking about the amount of time on a plane -- that will intensify when I share the fares. He was out with his friend last night and presumably got more info-- we'll see what he has to say today. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Oh, i forgot to mention, i get DVT too. I had a bad scooter accident in Bermuda over a decade ago and the damage done to my leg resulted in a proclivity to DVT. The airlines have gotten much more aware of it and they promote walking, exercises, etc, to help.

Good luck!

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures Annie!

I don't really have a "dream" vacation spot. We prefer traveling in the US and prefer roadtrips. Love heading down the little backroads and seeing what we can find. One of our most favorite spots is around Charleston, SC all the way to Savannah, GA and even further down to FL - Amelia Island. We prefer to stay on the islands to staying in the city - although there are times it is really nice to be right in Charleston. We stayed on Kiawah, Seabrook, Hunting, Sullivans, Isle of Palms, Harbor Island, Hilton Head, Jekyll, St. Simons, etc. In recent years we've stayed more on Sea Island (adjacent to Kiawah) and also in the little sea town of Mt. Pleasant.

We also have greatly enjoyed trips into Amish areas of PA and West Virginia. We love many of the state park the US offers and have enjoyed Canada (so clean!). Up the eastern coast can't be beat and there is more we want to explore in that area. Love finding the little towns (mayberry!!). Another favorite is the mountain area of NC - Asheville, Blowing Rock, Hendersonville, Black Mt., etc. The Highlands is a gorgeous area and very quaint.

We also love camping and will usually find a place that has a lake as we also enjoy water activities and just the serenity of the water. Ha, you can see that is true as most of our favorites involve either the ocean or a lake!

tina

• User
    11 years ago

Mtn, just read about your plans on your other topic, I am sure you and your DH will enjoy Greyfield. Recapping, the Ritz on Amelia Island is good but not spectacular, and there's a good French restaurant in town, Le Clos. There are also a few B&Bs in St. Mary's where you can stay the night before you catch the ferry. I've not stayed in any of those so no recommendations on that score. I took long cotton dresses for dinners at Greyfield and was glad to have something gauzy and light. If you have a chance, take a look at Gogo Ferguson's jewelry, it is all inspired by natural themes from her life on Cumberland.

• msrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the info you've given me. I've gone from not having a clue where I'd want to go to not knowing how to pick just one :)

• sochi
    11 years ago

I just came across this thread by accident, sorry I missed it. I'm totally travel obsessed too and have travelled and lived all over the place. Wanted to make one quick point for mtn though - get Machu Pichu off your bucket list! It is probably the most incredible place I've ever been. Peru (other than Lima) is generally pretty great, but MP. There just aren't words.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Glad Sochi bumped this up!

Funky, missed your post about spending a day with Alan Paton. Wow. I remember reading that book in ninth grade and would have dearly loved to have met him.

Africa is probably the place I would love to see most at this point and travel throughout the continent.

Other than France, I would say New Zealand is my favorite spot.

• sochi
    11 years ago

Well, I'm late to the party, but I certainly have a few favourite places. France is probably my all round favourite, so beautiful and so varied. Rich culturally, architecturally, linguistically.

I was blown away by the Dolomites region in Italy last year. I return to Italy next month for my first trip to Sardinia, I expect it will be pretty interesting.

I partially grew up in St. Lucia, so I go there when I can. Anse Chastanet/Jade Mountain, with its incredible views of the Pitons, is my best place.

St. Petersburg in Russia is a unique, beautiful and challenging city that I love very, very much. Russia is endlessly fascinating.

As I noted above in my post for mtn, Machu Pichu is probably the single most incredible place I've ever seen.

Cyn, I haven't made it to Africa yet either. Soon I hope.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Hey Sochi,

Thanks for the insight on Machu Pichu. So far we have our next five vacations planned. Well, only the next one is booked, and the second one is ready to book, and the last three I have just created the itineraries.

We divided the US into 4 quadrants, we did the SW last summer and will do the NE (and a lot of Canada) this summer. We won't travel this year for the Christmas holiday, because we have already done that twice (just this past year to tour SE Asia, and a few years before that to Australia and NZ). 2013 Christmas will be at home.No matter what we do it feels like a lost holiday if we are not home at Christmas,

But next year my kids spring breaks will align a bit better and I have started booking a Morocco trip via Madrid. (Marrakesh, Fez, camels in to the Sahara, chime in anyone with suggestions!)

And Christmas 2014 is when we will do Antarctica. We are doing a shortened cruise where we fly into Antarctica from the tip of Chile, which will shorten our Antarctica leg to 5-6days, which I think is plenty. Right now we have a wildly ambitious itinerary into Lima, then Machu Pichu, then back to Lima to get to (hold on to your boarding passes) Easter Island, then back through Santiago to get to the Anatarctic, then hit BA and Iguazu Falls on the way home. We have three weeks, so I think we can do it. This is kind of the way we travel, in our crazy quest to see the world. No days lazing at the beach on our trips (though a day or two just wandering around is nice when we can do it)

Only worry is they say the Dec is not optimal for Machu Pichu; to my surprise they reccommend going in our summer. I need to look into that more ... When did you go to MP? And what did you like in Peru? Sounds like youd use Lima only for transit (a friend of mine who used to be a banker in BA says the same of Santiago).
    Any other spots in SA? We have already done Rio and the Galapagos. We will probably send the kids on their own to Brazil when they are older, to visit with the women who used to be their nannies here. I guess Venezuela and Columbia are unsafe.

Where have you lived, lucky thing?

• sochi
    11 years ago

Wow mtn, those sound like amazing trips. I truly believe the planning part of the trip is almost as pleasureable as the trip itself. But I love to plan and research, sounds like you do too. I read recently that spending money on travel can make good economic sense in terms of value for money spent. First you research, plan and dream of the trip, then you do it, then you continue to reap benefits through memories, photos and the knowledge (and possible friendships) you gain. I'm convinced! :)

Regarding MP in December, the issue is rain. Given your time constraints I'm guessing you're not hiking in on the Inca trail? It could be miserable hiking (unless you enjoy hiking in the rain, many people do. I'm a wimp though). If you're not hiking try to leave yourself a couple of days open to make the ascent by train/bus from Cusco. That way you should have enough flexibility to get up there in a rain free window. Cusco is a wonderful place to spend a couple of days. I didn't make it to Lake Titicaca, but I've heard it is definitely worth the trip. I enjoyed the Nazca lines ( we flew over them) in Peru, and the pyramids near Trujillo. I didn't make it to the Peruvian amazon, wish I did. And I just loved th Pisco Sour I had in Pisco!

I had planned a nearly year long trip for 2016, my kids will be in grades 3 and 6 then. I wanted to circle the Pacific, down through Peru and Chile, to Easter Island, then on to NZ, Australa, up through Asia to Vladivostok then back to Vancouver. It would be an incredible learning experience for them, but I'm starting to pull back a bit. First it is likely too ambitious with relatively young kids, ie exhausting. Second, my kids go to school in French and a year away from French may be too much. So I may just take the easy path and spend the better part of the year based in France, with frequent excursions around Europe. Fun planning regardless.

I've lived in St. Lucia, Austria (Vienna), Russia (Moscow & St. Petersburg), the UK (outside London) along with some shorter working stints in Bosnia and Romania. My parents spent a decade in Costa Rica, so I spent a fair bit of time there too, and in Panama. Most of my young adulthood was spent in Europe, or planning to get to Europe, so my travel experience in largely Euro based. I need to get out more! :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Oooh oooh, I think you should do it, Sochi! Bring along the technology you need to keep their French up!

You sound so much like me (except for the living in all the cool places part). When my DH and I both retired, my first plan was to live abroad a year at a time with the kids. You know, maybe a year in Paris, then a year in La Paz, then a year in Hong Kong, etc etc. I chickened out because when I researched it, it was going to be too expensive. I knew we would not want to live anywhere on the cheap, being honest with ourselves, and of Paris apartments for a family of five make NYC look cheap. Add that to 3x private school (which we ended up doing anyway). It was just too much unless we either sold our home or got jobs again. I was not brave enough to be "homeless"!

Now, as one then the other starts middle school, and the last one not far behind, we are kind of already caught up in the rat race of getting into the best high school, then college, then, then .... you know how it goes. And I am consulting in NYC one day a week, which is perfect and I'd not want to give up, either.

But to take one year off? In third and sixth grade? That seems doable! What a fabulous adventure!

Except for Bosnia, I have been to everywhere you've lived (small consolation huh) but I have never lived outside of the US. Heck I am just inching up the Eastern seaboard! What fabulous experiences you must have had, what friends! What do you do, or your parents, that allows such peregrinations?

• sochi
    11 years ago

It would be a fabulous adventure, I'd love to do it. I had my kids in my mid to late 30s though, I hope I'll be up to a trip like that (with kids) in three years time! A truncated hybrid year might be possible, perhaps six months in France and/or Switzerland and a shorter 3 month trip, at least through South America, or maybe to NZ and Australia. The deciding factor will be if DH can manage that much time off, if he will be ready to semi-retire. But I do think it is pretty much the last year I could take my daughter out of school for a year and home school her while we travel. I could just put them in school for a semester in France if we go with that option. Regardless, it is important to me that they travel and live abroad for at least a year, so I'll figure something out.

Have you been to Dubrovnik? Sarajevo is also a wonderful city and the drive from Sarajevo, through Mostar, to Dubrovnik is incredibly beautiful. I'd definitely recommend it.

My parents travelled quite a bit and my mother ran a restaurant in St. Lucia for a few years when I was quite young. I went to university and studied in Vienna, the UK and Moscow, then stayed on in Russia for a time (boyfriend). I worked for the UN for a while in Bosnia post-war and for another international organisation in Romania. I'm a human rights lawyer, specializing in minority rights in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union.

The other trip I have to think about is whether I want to go to the next winter olympics ... in Sochi.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Oh, I love love Vienna. I am so jealous! I think it was one of DH's and my favorite trips. I was there on business, he came with me (sans kids), and we stayed a few extra days. It was spring and Vienna is such a perfect city for strolling, no? We stayed at Le Meridien just across from the Palm House. Our favorite part was a train ride to the countryside, where we rented bikes and took a ferry up the Danube, then biked back. I cannot imagine being a student in Vienna; it seems like a perfect backdrop. Did you need to wear all black and smoke a lot, LOL. What a fascinating career you've made.

I have not been to Dubrovnik. Hmm, maybe I can tie that in with Greece. (uh oh ... I feel a new itinerary coming on). We need to "finish" all 4 quadrants of the US and all 7 continents, and then we can go back and fill in some of the gaps. I have been a bit lax on Europe for the kids because it is a relatively easy/cheap trip for them as they get older, and also many private high schools offer a year abroad. Of course there was one CT private school that took an Antarctic cruise last year (one student is a Mars heir, and he treated!)

Even if your and DH's situation is such that you end up going when the kids are a bit older, I would not let that stop you. The risks of a few blips at school is nothing compared to the experience. I love your circumnavigation itinerary.

I did wonder if there was a connection between your screenname and Sochi!

You are absolutely right that the planning and researching is almost as much fun as the trip. My sister and I once planned a very elaborate self-tour of mainland China that we ended up having to cancel. Both of us have to remind ourselves that we never actually went, since we researched it so thoroughly, that we are sure we did!

• golddust
    11 years ago

Go on FaceBook and search 'Places to see before you die'. 'Like' it so new pictures how up in your news feed and scroll through the breath taking photos they post.