SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebunky

Time to pick finishes for the HI vacation rental. I would love help.

rebunky
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I better add first off that this is a book length post! Sorry!

As many of you know, we are remodeling a very small one bedroom cabin and hope to rent it out someday as a short term vacation rental on VRBO or Airbnb.

I was trying to go for the traditional Hawaiiana style with the rich exotic woods like Koa or Sapele that are so popular here. I am afraid that the wood is going to be very stripy, needing to be book matched, and way over my budget for cabinets even though it is a small kitchen,

Basically, I'm just not feeling it even after looking at literally hundreds of photos. You know, that one feeling you get when everything seems to just work. Well, I'm not getting my happy dance on! That is telling me I need to explore other ideas.

I also have in the back of my mind that this place could someday become my home, and instead I rent out my larger two bedroom on the same property. So I want it to be something I could personally live with as well.

So today I saw a Schuler cabinet in Cherry with a cappuccino stain. I immediately fell in love. It really showcased the grain of the wood nicely without being too busy. I liked that it was not a traditional natural cherry color or the typical cherry stain.

I found a hardwood flooring I thought looked pretty nice with it for a beachy vibe.

Here is my mood board.

The background is an engineered Walnut hardwood, Bruce brand, in stain called Seashell white. Janca hardness 2397. One review was great. The other not so great. I will do plenty more research, of course, but just giving you an idea of the look I'm testing out.

The fan is a minca air that I really like and reviews were great. It's a Koa wood look.

The paint color is a custom match from a SW color. I don't know the name, but it's a very neutral greige similar to Sw worldly gray. We have plenty leftover from other jobs, so want to use it if possible.

The potential granite is just an idea as I saw it at the local granite yard. It's called black cosmos in a leathered finish.

The sink on it is silgranite in silver metallic. The mosaic tile, I have no clue what it is as I just pulled it from a photo I saw online. I thought maybe as an accent on the backsplash. The cabinet door style is not my exact choice, but it shows the Schuler Cherry cappuccino.

The photos at the bottom are at different times of day showing the awesome views from the cabin. That double rainbow was incredible!

So.... do you think I can still pull off a "tropical" style as I add in furniture pieces, artwork, rugs, and tropical fabric throw pillows?

I realize this color palette leans more towards the nautical New England beach theme. I like that, but don't necessary want that look entirely. I just couldn't get on board with all the dark tropical exotic red and gold woods.

Again, sorry this is so long. Please help me GW! Am I completely nuts? Or, with some expert GW advice, can I actually pull this off? I'm open to hear any and all of your opinions and suggestions. This is in no way set in stone. It's just a wild idea I had today after seeing that schuler door. :-)

Comments (49)

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

My personal opinion? I like all the elements except the flooring.

The flooring clashes with the cabinets and fan.

The rest works well together IMHO, though I can't label styles to save my life so I've no idea if it is New England nautical or Hawaiian retreat.

The undertones of the flooring and cabinets don't work for me, personally. I could easily see all the elements working together if the cabs were changed to white.

I could also see it working if the floors were changed to something that reflected the red/gold undertones of the cabs.

What I DO know is that I want to come visit when it's done! :)

rebunky thanked Texas_Gem
  • sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

As I looked at your mood board, my first thought was exactly TG's. I like all the elements except the flooring. Is cork an option? I've heard mixed reviews, but perhaps the color and pattern would go with the beautiful cabs and add an exotic feel.

rebunky thanked sheloveslayouts
  • Related Discussions

Help me pick my exterior color - last time. I promise!

Q

Comments (19)
    busybee3, the problem with the khaki brown is that the color changes depending on the light. It can be a beautiful beige brown or it can be a pinky, washed out mess. The shutters are going to be changed to black board and batten shutters to match the carriage door look of the garage doors. My light fixtures are a similar style in black. les917, I would agree to make the bays beige but I'm afraid it will make the house too dark if I paint it the darker color. I'm also a little afraid of putting black shutter on the darker color. I was doing it on the khaki brown to try and bring some weight to the siding color but I am afraid it might be too severe with the darker siding. bluebird, that is definitely a version of my house. I actually just redid my walkway to resemble your walkway.
    ...See More

Help design a teeny tiny kitchen in a teeny tiny vacation rental

Q

Comments (241)
    Jillius, I made the Saturday afternoon "deadline" he wanted. I didn't think I would. But, thanks to you and everyone's incredibly generous help, WE did it! I'm thrilled with the plan! I read through the thread again just now. It is completely blowing my mind to see how the design evolved and changed over the course of a week into what we have now. Everyone played an important part with all their input. I will be forever grateful to all of you. It might take a few years to have it all up and running, but I will keep you all posted on the progress. I will start a new thread whenever he gets the walls and roof on. Laughable, I'm am dead serious, just last night my husband said, "You are going to have to start calling me 'Mr. Rebunky' on your GW." Hysterical you said that. Imgch, thanks. I love your reveal! I'm going to go look at all your eye candy again right now. Aloha!
    ...See More

Progress on my new Vacation Rental

Q

Comments (34)
    Are you near Austin? I think you definitely should try to work as a consultant for staging or related decorating needs. You could even do this online or start via CL in Fort Worth. Start a portfolio with your homes, before/after pics.
    ...See More

Design help: deciding the backsplash in vacation rental

Q

Comments (22)
    @Sar heated floors/ minimalism are common enough in many European Airbnbs. Just take a look at the many many many apartments listed. Beds are also something that you can spend a lot on and still have guests complain because they prefer a different type, In the US spring mattresses are the norm but we spent loads on memory foam, top of the line in one place, and rather middling memory foam hybrids in another, We have had more compliments on the less expensive beds. Mattresses are very personal and you will go mad trying to please everyone. I hate shower only bathrooms but understand that one must make do while traveling. If I was paying top end pricing, I would expect a soaking tub no matter what continent I was on. See? That is how guests are. Very individual. Very personal. Don't get so caught up in thinking "there is NO WAY someone could possibly complain about my space as it is the ultimate! All details thought of and provided." Because they will complain. Its simply human nature. Your ultimate is not ultimate for everyone. So as someone who has done this successfully in a variety of different spaces over the years I offer you this-- make this space a bit more unique and interesting. I understand minimalism. Its not my taste but nonetheless, I get it. There is no "hook" that makes me want to stay in this space. It looks sterile. There is nothing that makes me remember it. It looks like you have a beautiful garden. Why not bring some of that color indoors? Or concentrate on your indoor/outdoor lifestyle. Stop fussing over the perfect backsplash ( you will never encounter a guest who reviews the quality of your backsplash or cares what you spent per square metre) and concentrate on what makes your space appealing. Right now it looks to me like the glass wall and garden would be much "sexier" to guests than anything I can see inside. And frankly, if I am on vacation I am in no way in need of a huge fridge. A wine fridge would be more useful frankly. Cooking is NEVER on my list of things I want to do when exploring a new place. But guess what? We have had so many guests who have cooked and baked in our vacation spaces-- large meals. But its never a good idea to invest in high end kitchenware in these spaces. They tend to disappear,
    ...See More
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I hear you that something with the floor and cabinet is not right. In real life the flooring had that same tannish color of the cabinet swirled in there, but one or the other I think needs to be reconsidered.

Here is a mood board I did for the bathroom. I added the flooring and the main paint color at the bottom since it would be connecting.

I was thinking of different color (the cashmere grey) paint though just in the bathroom.

I don't mind the flooring here with the potential bathroom finishes. So maybe it's the cabinet that is the the oddball?

ETA:

TG, I was just rereading your comment, and I agree that white cabs would work way better. The reason I was trying to avoid the white is because I have them in my house and they are more high maintenance. TY, i really appreciate your honest opinion.

BB, I will research the cork floors. Carrieb has them and I know she is very happy with them. I hear they are so soft and cushy to walk on. Thanks for that idea.

I'm listening folks!

• algeasea
    8 years ago

I actually like the floor and cabinets together with all the other colors, and they look very Hawaii to me with the blues and faded wood tones. They bring the colors of the ocean, sky, and fields together. The cabinet color mutes the the tropical red/gold tones in the landscape (soil and flora mainly) while the floor color mutes the sunset colors to pinks and greys.

I'm no expert, but your top mood board looks to me like a cooler version of the colors in your setting and I love that. Possibly because I lived on Guam for three years when I was a kid, and I associate Pacific Islands with being uncomfortably hot. Lol. In such a vivid environment, I'd find your interior palette a soothing contrast. It might not work everywhere, but I could see it in a Hawaiian cabin.

rebunky thanked algeasea
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you algeasea, You explained how I feel perfectly! I like the cooler palette, yet still want it all to blend with the outside surroundings.

My son actually just returned from Saipan near Guam. He was there for two months volunteering for the disaster relief building homes that were destroyed from the typhoon that hit there. He said it is a beautiful island.

Here is the exterior colors on the house. We are not finished painting obviously. This was left over stain from my house so we used it. Dh picked the blue roof. I like it. I ordered a dark blue front door called night tide.

This photo looks a little darker then it actually is, but it's sort of a mocha coffee color with a lighter beige trim.

The lanai decking color is actually a light grey composite decking called ChoiceDek. It is similar to trek decking if you are familiar with that. We had to go with the gray color since it is an in stock color and dh was not wanting to wait for a special order.

• mgmum
    8 years ago

I like all of your choices, but I don't think the kitchen will have a beachy vibe if two of the main elements are darker in colour. I think the granite is too heavy looking to be "beachy," though it does look like ocean waves. To me, the beach is light and airy, more like your bathroom mood board. But that's just me.

rebunky thanked mgmum
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I absolutely adore your bathroom mood board!

It may be the kitchen cabinet that's a bit off. Also, for me the door style is a bit formal (and hard to clean).

Quartersawn Oak from Schuler?

rebunky thanked nosoccermom
  • herbflavor
    8 years ago

not feeling the cherry door for the kitchen....do they have quartersawn oak..just a natural finish would be a little more in sync with floor and counter..everything else....

rebunky thanked herbflavor
  • Ellie RK
    8 years ago

I love everything except for the Schuler Cherry Cappuccino and I'm not sure about the fan.
    Schuler has another color, Appaloosa, that I think would work better. Have you seen it?
    I chose it for my island (but from a different company) and it's gorgeous color.

rebunky thanked Ellie RK
  • Jancy
    8 years ago

I've never been to Hawaii but the kitchen cabinet wood color would not be what I envision in a Hawaiian home, it just doesn't give me that beachy relaxing feel. I do like the color that Ellie mentions in her post.

rebunky thanked Jancy
  • mayflowers
    8 years ago

Agree with mgmom about the black granite. As you know, I used a light quartz counter with my cherry, mainly because black counters/cherry is so ubiquitous and because I wanted to add a little bit of a contemporary vibe.

Did you know that Barker Cabinets ships to Hawaii? That's how they got started with their RTA cabinets.

Which island are you on? I've only been to Kauai and we stayed at a two unit B&B that was on the owner's property. That's the way to go. Can't do those big hotels and being cooped up in a room.

rebunky thanked mayflowers
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I'm not loving the kitchen cabinets. Walnut might be closer to the Koa wood look. Or I might veer into white paint or a driftwoodish greyish wood finish on oak.

rebunky thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • just_janni
    8 years ago

How about a grey washed cabinet and then cork the floor? Keeping everything else the same? the grey would help with a little driftwood-y (is that Hawaiian?) and the cork is an unexpected material.

I think the theme here is that the first choice for a fave cabinet just isn't cutting it. (sorry!)

rebunky thanked just_janni
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Do we like cabinets like these?

Or even something like this?

Tropical Paradise Kitchen · More Info

What kind of wood is this? Looks expensive :(

Newtown House · More Info

Or good, old IKEA

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all! This is exactly the feedback I was hoping for.

I am liking the suggestions to go with a more rustic wood cabinet.

Mayflowers, yes I have thought about Barker because they do ship here. I was looking at their sapele and walnut cabs. We are on the Big Island, Kona side.

Okay, Cherry cappuccino cabinet is OUT. Dark granite OUT.

What about this idea. I liked the quarter sawn oak suggestion.

Cabinet in Schuler Islander Sheer from their coastal colors on a QS oak.

It is supposed to show the grain through this stain. I would not do this door style of course.

Here's a new mood board.

I threw in that rug, but I was thinking more for throw pillows on a neutral color couch with maybe a jute rug.

Ignore the flooring in the inspiration kitchen photo. I would not do the brass fixtures either. I did like the white sink (although dh will probably say no way on the farm sink. I love them, but he calls them a laundry tub every time! Stinker!)

I like the simple door style. Looks like shaker with slab drawers.

It also has white uppers in that kitchen. What do you think of that combo? Or maybe all the blue but with glass on the uppers? I'd probably do a simple white backsplash with this look.

My appliances are stainless. I would go with either a chrome or brushed nickel faucet. Oh and maybe glass knobs and cup pulls might be fun.

I had seen that quartzite slab the other day and it took my breath away. It's called Fusion White Fantasy. I added it just for fun. It is probably big bucks!

Here is the full slab. It does have a hint of very light pink in but it didn't bother me. It reminded me of the pink sunset, the plumeria flowers, and also my conch shell.

Honest opinions welcome. Is this better? Worse? :-)

Ellie, I will also check out that Appaloosa finish as Dh and I are heading to Lowes in a bit.

• kelleg69
    8 years ago

Like the new board much more. I prefer painted cabinets, so I won't comment on that. But, I like your new color scheme. Love the quartzite.

rebunky thanked kelleg69
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I love that!

• mgmum
    8 years ago

Love the new selections!

rebunky thanked mgmum
  • Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

Perfect!! That slab is to die for and definitely beachy!

• hendricksfamily92
    8 years ago

Love that slab! How far along are you on the house? I have been eager to see what you have gotten done so far .

rebunky thanked hendricksfamily92
  • Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

Also, I like the idea of all blue with glass uppers. It is a small space and I think having glass uppers would keep it feeling open.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I love the slab. I love the white oak, and the floor has just the right amount of weathered look to have a beachy feel to it.

However, what I'm not loving is the blues and grays in the cabinet color and the fabric. When I think of the light in Hawaii and the water, I don't think grey/blue. I think turquoise or cleaner, clearer blues and cleaner colors. I think cleaner colors would work better in a small cottage such as yours. Those gray blues you chose read more mainland middle of America than the islands of Hawaii.

I would take inspiration from the water and from the photographs you took of your view.

Your granite will read as a neutral and will work well with brighter colors too.

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • kksmama
    8 years ago

I see why you fell in love with the mocha cherry cappuccino cabinet. And I'm glad others pointed out the problems with the first mood board - good for you for being clear about wanting honesty! But as I got to the bottom of the thread, I wondered....could that first cabinet work with the heart stopping quartzite and perfect floor? Maybe you would only have to give up the very blue backsplash (which I like very much but not as much as the other elements including the fan). Without the clear blue backsplash, the whole thing might be a sunrise on the beach palette - muted and soft. I like the first granite too, but the relative "hardness" or "clarity" of it and the backsplash may be at odds with the softness of the things you (and I) like more.

rebunky thanked kksmama
  • Suzy
    8 years ago

Love the new mood board. It's perfect!

rebunky thanked Suzy
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kellogg, so glad you chimed in. I know you are also remolding a beach house. I saw your backsplash and it turned out beautiful.

I must agree with you, I prefer a solid paint too. After seeing the "coastal" finish, which has very heavy dry brushing, I must say, I didn't care for it. Too rustic for my taste. I was okay with the "sheer" finish which doesn't have any of the dry brush, but still shows a hint of the grain. But I only liked it on the the maple, not the oak.

Schuler (Lowe's) doesn't have any solid paint colors close to that islander blue/green. Only a sage green. I found out that Medallion, the same company as Schuler, has a solid color called Bliss that is a little more aqua blue/green. I haven't seen it in person yet. It is at a different store.

CP, I trust your eye for color. Thank you. I agree that the cleaner brighter turquoise is definitely more tropical then the greyer blues. I will definitely use lots of that brighter ocean water turquoise in my accent colors. I just like the more muted colors to be the main features. It's more peaceful to me and then I can change out the pops of brighter colors as I want.

Here is my lastest mood board. Notice the very muted sunset photo? I prefer those more subdued water and sky colors for my inspiration.

Kksmama, I found a photo of what the Cherry cappuccino looked like IRL, wasn't as dark of a tan as the first board. So I kept it in the running because I really related to what you said about the muted and soft sunrise on the beach palette. It really is a nice soft sand color.

I will mention Mr. Rebunky liked the middle one the best. He also prefers the uppers and lowers to be all the same color in such a small space and with the glass upper as Texasgem suggested. He loves the quartzite. He gets a vote of course, but he will let me have the final say. :-)

Hendricksfam, DH is about to finish the last coat of Sheetrock mud and then it is on to texture and paint. He is pressuring me to make up my mind and order cabinets, bathroom tile, and flooring since everything takes about 6-8 weeks to get here. But it's happening!

Thanks everyone so much for your honest opinions. I will re-read everyone's comments many times I'm sure.

Any last thoughts as to the three cabinet choices?

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

The middle one is my favorite.

• romy718
    8 years ago

The middle one is also my favorite but I might still prefer a shade of white. I do love your floor choice.

rebunky thanked romy718
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

If you're not a fan of the stained cabinets then definitely do not go with them. I keep looking at them myself and have those nagging doubts about those white ones.

I messaged you.

Then I looked at your saved photos and saw this one. What about a slightly more gray version of the ceiling color here?

Traditional Ranch Country · More Info

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Romy, I know the white would be perfect! I only ruled it out because it is hard to keep clean. But hello, I will be cleaning it regularly, plus really, how often will guests cook? Maybe I need to rethink here. While I love the blue cabs, it is way WAAAY outside my comfort zone. Thank you.

CP, thank you girl! I will check my messages. I never got a message before. :-)))

Too funny, I don't even recognize that photo. I will have to check my saved photos. That's so cute!

Ok, so I just found my perfect inspiration. Check this link out. It's a Kauai beach cottage. I love everything about this!

(ETA: well not the cooktop on the peninsula with no hood! Lol!)

https://centsationalgirl.com/2014/05/kauai-beach-cottage/

• flamingfish
    8 years ago

Yes. Do it just like the Kauai beach cottage, white cabinets and all. Definitely do that backsplash -- it's everything I dream about tropical waters.

But back to your inspiration board -- to my uneducated eye, the quartzite won't work with the "Kauai beach cottage" look. Not only that, I worry that the grain in the walnut floor (which I like), might fight with the pattern in the quartzite. The cabinet samples in your last board aren't quite like the muted sunset colors in your inspiration book. They're greenish and greyed, whereas the blue in the sunset pic is a pale true blue.

(But don't listen to me -- after all, I like the coastal look.)

rebunky thanked flamingfish
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Flamingfish, I had that same thought about the floor and the quartzite when I placed them one on top of the other in my mood board. It was too busy. I thought maybe since the cabinet is between them and it's more on a horizontal plane it would be okay. Thank you for that input.

Also regarding the muted colors. I'm starting to realize I won't be able to put any brighter colors with such a grayed out palette. Believe me my little wheels in my brain are working. I'm definitely listening!

Thanks and any other feedback is very appreciated. The same exact thing happened in my other design thread for this cabin. The more you guys gave me input, the more I narrowed down, ruled stuff out, ruled stuff back in, and figured out what I really wanted. I know it will come together!

• hendricksfamily92
    8 years ago
    1. I have always loved a beach theme featuring sea glass with white. I think that is what attracts me to your quartzite. Maybe the quartzite with a pale green backsplash that matches the counters. And sand colored accents that I see in the counter. Maybe that color for the floor?
    rebunky thanked hendricksfamily92
  • LE
    8 years ago

I was also bothered by the use of three "swirly" patterns (floor, counters, tile). Clearly, it's something you are attracted to, but I would simplify the counters to a white quartz if it were mine, then some warmth from woods and some "sea glass" colors, and it would be heavenly.

rebunky thanked LE
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I just love, love that look!

I've always lived with painted cabinets (white), except for that one orange kitchen (yes, oak stained dark orange), so I have no idea what's more tenant proof. Would a wood with a white STAIN be more durable than paint? Or a thermofoil? Someone said that her IKEA Adel wore like iron.

Or????

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Ok, so I just found my perfect inspiration. Check this link out. It's a Kauai beach cottage. I love everything about this!

It's perfect!!! Notice the blues are just a bit cleaner to feel more refreshing.

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • kksmama
    8 years ago

I'm still loving the cabinets, quartzite, and floor - please don't give up on that combination unless/until you are certain you should. I could see it with a backsplash that was solid or nearly so in the pale gray blue color. I haven't seen the sweeby test mentioned lately and wonder if you've taken it for this kitchen - are you looking for serene, elegant, casual, bright, cozy, flirty, clean, luxurious, modern, homey?

rebunky thanked kksmama
  • romy718
    8 years ago

I just bookmarked your new inspiration kitchen, just in case we ever retire to a beach cottage. Love it! Your Seashell Stain walnut floors are the same tone as the woven dining chairs.

rebunky thanked romy718
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks again everyone. I love all this food for thought.

I am going to try and get several samples of the flooring, cabinets, tile, and counters. I will post pictures of them in the space. I can take a door off of my cabinets for the white cab sample. I may need to order the others.

We didn't plan for pendants anywhere because of the L shaped layout, but I did plan for a wall sconce above the sink. Look what I found. Yay! Depending on the other finishes, I will decide on either the black or silver tone.

I'm not sure if that's a cord hanging down though on the black one. Maybe it comes either way. Anyways I love them both..

Hendricks, the sea glass is my favorite too. I loved the melon glass cup pulls in that pale green on the white cabs in the inspiration cottage. I actually had looked at them before I found that blog about the Kauai cottage. I was thinking of doing the white clear glass if did the colored cab or wood.

I also found these fun knobs.

I even have a big box of those old antique light turquiose fishing floats in all different sizes that the previous owner left here. They are really expensive in the antique stores.

LE, you pegged me so well. I am drawn to those swirls! Good advice to not go swirl happy! Lol! I did have to force myself to consider a non swirly counter for the bathroom as I was even making myself dizzy.

For the bathroom, I was drawn to a white Quartz called Silstone Stellar Snow. I saw the sample slab with the Lunada bay mosaic and it was perfect. It is hard to see, but it almost looks like tiny pieces of sea glass is in it. And I even liked the sparkles.

I did consider Quartz for the kitchen as well, but I'm scared to death someone will ruin it by setting a hot pot on it. I realize all counter materials can be wrecked, but a huge burn mark would make me cry.

I will keep everyone posted once I get the samples. I may have to order them. I for sure would never order everything sight unseen. I know the importance of seeing samples in the actual space. Lighting can change everything.

In the meantime, kksmama, I am going to take that Sweeby test. Great idea! All those descriptive words you mentioned fits me. I think my style is called transitional because while I love the more traditional and vintage look, I also love modern. For instance, I did like that fan (mostly was because reviews said it was super quiet) which to me had a more modern feel.

I know my place will never look exactly like a vintage cottage because I couldn't afford to do the painted wood plank ceiling and walls, but I think my vision is getting clearer thanks to you all. Mahalo!

• dan1888
    8 years ago

I like the wood and color of the cabinet on your bath mood board. Not too orange or dark.

rebunky thanked dan1888
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Churchill Place Coronado · More Info

More pics at that link.

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

NSM, thank you so much for that last inspiration pic. I have never seen that kitchen, which is amazing with all my googling! I love it.

We have been busy the last few days. but I finally got time tonight to triple check all my cabinet measurements. I can make an appointment with the KD now.

After everything, I am actually leaning towards the white cabinets now. I feel like it is the safe choice, still looks beachy, and one that I know I will love since I have them. Where as the other choices, I'm very unsure of. With white, I know I can add all the colorful dishes and accessories I want. Any flooring I end up choosing will go with white. Plus I can do something fun either with the counters or the back splash. I am leaning towards a fun colorful backsplash with a more solid counter, but still light.

We will have it painted pretty soon, and by then I should have some flooring samples. Thank you all for the great input. I will update as I narrow things down. :-)

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Agree. Love, love white kitchens. It sounds like you have a game plan.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

You can't go wrong with white cabinets. I love those melon glass pulls, etc. Here's a thought. Have you considered painting the ceiling a pale teal blue? Even throughout the cabin? Almost like bringing the sky inside?

And I love those schoolhouse lights you found with the stripe of teal on them.

rebunky thanked cpartist
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I got an awesome tip on what I think is the perfect tile. Anyone know where I can get this tile?

Here is the house link. I read the comments, but I'm sure I'm just missing the info. I didn't see the source.

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/stucco-tudor-cottage-craftsman-bathroom-san-francisco-phvw-vp~3953863[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/stucco-tudor-cottage-craftsman-bathroom-san-francisco-phvw-vp~3953863)

I would love to do a small square of this for the bathroom shower floor. But, I'm thinking it's also perfect for the kitchen backsplash with white cabs.

You guys know me by now. When I get my happy dance on...I love this!

• MizLizzie
    8 years ago

I love cpartist's white kitchen pic. On the off chance you might return to that original blue glass mosaic, might it be THIS? (I was thinking of pairing that accent tile with Cambria Montgomery counters and a blue-veined marble shower in my master bathroom reno.)

rebunky thanked MizLizzie
  • divotdiva2
    8 years ago

not to throw you a total curve, but the reason the Hawaiians and missionaries used koa, mango, and other exotic woods is because they stand up to the humidity (I'm on Oahu). You see a lot of teak around the island - also used on boats as it does not swell - but its color is lighter - and often more Scandinavian in design. Rattan used a lot and I love the look, but impossible in my mind to keep really clean looking over time as dust and crumbs fall in. Pacific Craftworks on Oahu sells custom cabinets made from mostly darker colored woods in Viet Nam - another tropical place - that should hold up to Hawaii weather (no affiliation) - some looks like mahogany but different wood. We used them in our master bath and the prices weren't bad. The dark woods are traditional but too much can make the room feel heavy.

Hawaiian homes were influenced by missionaries from New England, cowboys, Balinese, Chinese, Japanese, Filipinos, Europeans, and plantation owners. So we don't have a purely beach feel - the white rattan look is more East Coast. Tropical is the darker, wider strip, rattan. Here it is all about moss rock, exotic woods, flowers, surfboards, waves, turtles, pineapple, dark sea blues and green foliage mixed with white, cream, and woven mats.

If you stick to the white (which will look clean, fresh, and airy) make sure they are quality boxes to hold up to the humidity. For the Hawaii vibe decorate with a few koa or monkeypod (less expensive) chairs, coffee table, or a bowl on your counter, bring in the light and the air and avoid kitsch. Your koa fan will tie into those accents. The one you have chosen is very modern looking and I understand that fewer blades (3 to 4) move more air than 5. Traditionally locals used lots of fans to move the trade winds and homes were designed to pull in the trades. Don't fall for a kitschy fan if it doesn't function well.

Suggest any fabrics have local tropical flowers (ginger, heliconia) in large, lush prints. Your inspiration Kauai cottage has beautiful accent pillows that illustrate this - the upholstery is beige but the pillows have heliconia and tropical leaves to bring in color.

rebunky thanked divotdiva2
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Mizlizzie, that tile sure does look close. Thank you for the link.

Divotdiva2, I agree completely with you. What? No Kitschy decore? Oh shoots, I really wanted to use lava lamps! It would have been perfect to represent the volcano! Lol!

I am on it regarding the fan. I had one of those "tropical" fans with the blades that look like a big monstera leaf in a previous house. Did not move air at all! To feel anything, I had to turn it on full speed. But then it would wobble around and make a horrible noise. Junk. That's what drew me to find that Minca air fan because they had great reviews for air circulation and are supposed to be very quiet.

Yes, not only do many of those gorgeous exotic woods do well in the humidity, but some are also naturally bug resistant. I have Ipe wood floors in my house. So pretty, and best yet, the termites hate it. I have several old teak tables and chairs. Not the kind that's the cheap teak you see at those import stores. Definitely not planning any white rattan. Yes to the woven or jute rug. I have been checking craiglist daily for Koa items.

I found this and laughed so hard. Nananananananana Batman! It's only $1,500 and the bat is supposedly inlayed glow in the dark resin. I'm sure it is a joke. :-)

My white painted cabinets are Schuler brand, plywood boxes, so far so good after a couple years. They are full overlay. I really love the inset doors though.

I checked out Pacific Craftworks website and they have some amazing exotic wood cabinets. I noticed they did mention that painted cabinets are their biggest requests. It showed pictures of painted inset doors. I was surprised at that because I cannot find one single cabinet company on BI that will sell or make inset doors. They say they cannot warranty them due to the humidity. They all tell me they will stick shut or have huge gaps. The Maui rental has them. I wonder how they are holding up? Mahalo for the info. I will check it out.

• divotdiva2
    8 years ago

oh, you should definitely get that Batman! lol! I live in the middle of Oahu so my humidity isn't as bad as the windward side, or by the beach - but you get what I mean. Maybe I'll visit you one day and admire your lava lamps!

rebunky thanked divotdiva2