SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ditnc

Please help. I can’t change out my shower head!

ditnc
last year
last modified: last year

I have a very old teledyne water pik handheld shower head. I tried to change it out yesterday. But what I found is a metal *hex nut?* (not sure that’s what it’s called) with a round ball thing on it (pivot ball or water flow restrictor, maybe?) which is attached to the water line that comes out of the wall. I CANNOT get that metal thing detached in order to screw the new one on. I have used a wrench like pictured below. I sprayed WD-40 on it. Right now I have a plastic storage bag full of vinegar wrapped around the metal thing with duck tape to try to dissolve crud that may be preventing its removal.

I don’t want to have to call a plumber for this. How do I get that metal nut thing off? ETA: I think this might be the model: https://www.waterpik.com/shower-head/pdfs/20022966-F-Hidden-Ball-HH-manual.pdf

Advice please?

Below is the best photo i could find to depict the configuration. This isn’t my model, but it’s the only pic I could find with a sliding cover (flange?) over the metal nut thing. (BTW, the new showerhead fits fine on my other shower which has a standard shower head which was easily removable.)

Red: the dastardly metal nut that won’t come off

Blue: the plastic flange thingy covering the round ball part of the water flow restrictor? It slides UP the water line when not covering the metal nut (this is not my exact model)

Below is what I need to access, but the metal thing from the old waterpik won’t come off

The old one kind of looks like this

This is the part of the old one I was able to remove.

The type of wrench I’ve been using.

Comments (3)