Food floof! Favorites!
4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (36)
Related Discussions
More Food Floof! The Must-Haves....
Comments (39)I second the request for the Chocolate Bread Pudding. There's not really any "must have"s here but I miss a few things: My godmother always made lefse and dinner rolls. They were both excellent. That poor sweet lady made them every year up until maybe a year or two before she died, and she was mid-90s when she died. And making homemade yeast rolls was plenty of work for people who have ever done it the old-fashioned way, and no, she didn't use a "Kitchen-Aid"! She got weaker in her old age and less able to stand for the long time. But she knew how popular they were and she always wanted to do it. And most of the time until her latter years, she'd walk to the grocery store (I'd guess maybe 1/2 mile away!) What a trooper! RIP my dear, you're missed in SO many ways! Making lefse is not easy either, especially by yourself! In the later years she couldn't roll it as thin as she used to but still gave it her best shot and it still was a treat. I've made lefse a few times. Should give it a try again but my limitations probably would affect it. And I can buy decent stuff from a couple places so I can still have a memory and a treat. Also my cousin used to (probably still does) make excellent iced sugar cookies. But the local "produce" store makes some that are pretty much identical so that fix is taken care of and even Lofthouse cookies are an adequate substitute. As far as other dishes, I can be pretty flexible but I have, in the past few years, been making a BBQ bacon ranch corn that I really enjoy and I'm getting back to really enjoying turkey again so I usually get a smoked turkey breast. Probably 20-30 years ago I started my own semi-tradition of having a "themed" holiday. Guess I got a little tired of the always-turkey or always-ham meals. One year it could be "comfort" foods, another "Italian", another was "diner" food, etc. And I always tried to add a new dish that I wanted to try that I hadn't made before. Keep some staples in there in case it didn't turn out. But it became quite popular with guests. And when the GFs didn't have to cook they always appreciated it no matter what I made! Could be 99¢ TV dinners and they probably wouldn't complain... too much. Uh, strike that. Yeah, they could complain. :)...See MoreFloof: Comfort Food
Comments (56)the blue box mac and cheese with spoonfuls of hot salsa mixed in. one day my mother said don't ask i made a mistake. I tried it, ate much of it Week or so later asked if she remembered how she made it. she laughed and said yes here's how. its a once or twice a year dish that reminds me of her laughing...See MoreFood Floof! Dips!
Comments (60)"Anything with cream cheese Is my favorite." Hard to argue with that philosophy :-)) Cream cheese seems to be the ideal base for many kinds of dip. I remember a high school pal of mine and I making a simple but very tasty dip out of cream cheese and A1 steak sauce! That and a bag of chips got us through a lot of homework sessions. And look away guacamole purists as I used to add cream cheese to mine when making for a crowd at summer BBQ's. Kept the guac from discoloring and added to the richness but never overwhelmed the avocados. As I now make it almost exclusively for myself, no need to add the cr. cheese to stretch the dip and it gets eaten too fast for discoloring. But it absolutely has to have plenty of fresh lime juice, salt, garlic and some sort of spicy kick - cayenne, dried pepper flakes, a splash of hot sauce or minced jalapenos. In a pinch, some hot salsa will do. To be perfectly honest, I do not understand needing a recipe for a dip. Unless a very specific type of dip or spread, like pate. You just mix together what you think will taste good in suitable proportions. But then, I don't use many recipes for cooking anyway, except for baking. btw Lars, there are lots of recipes for crab dip that don't include cheese other than cream cheese. Seems like only the hot or baked versions include something like cheddar and I prefer my crab fresh and with minimal fussing so they would never top my list....See MoreFood Floof! Fries part 2!
Comments (36)I'm really not sure if I've ever eaten a Tater Tot. If I have, I don't remember it. And I don't like 'store bought' frozen fries at all. I practically never order fires in a restaurant because they are usually made from frozen. I do, however, love sweet potato fries, and buy the frozen ones to make at home quite often. Rusty...See More- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoamylou321 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoamylou321 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNWorld of Design: Favorite Recipes From Food Lovers Around the Globe
Travel with your tastebuds and experience for yourself these international foodies' favorite dishes
Full Story

KITCHEN DESIGN5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZFavorite Fixes for a Small Kitchen
Storage organizers and shelves to clear off counters
Full Story0

GARDENING GUIDES10 Foodie Favorites to Kick-Start Your Edible Garden
Get ready to plant these herbs and vegetables this spring to bring gourmet flavors from your garden into your kitchen
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES15 Favorites for Your Summer Edible Garden
Get your summer garden off to a good start with these popular fruits and vegetables
Full Story
MOST POPULAROur Favorite Kitchen Storage Ideas Now
Make the most of every square inch with these clever cabinetry solutions
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHouzz Call: Share Your Favorite Christmas Tradition
Is there one thing you do, watch or eat that heralds the arrival of Christmas? Post a photo and let us know!
Full Story
OUTBUILDINGS10 Favorite Shed Features for Comfort and Joy
Make your backyard shed cozier, prettier or more functional with these appealing elements
Full StorySponsored

lindac92