Houzz Logo Print
colleenoz

Fun at the Medieval Fayre :-)

5 hours ago

We have an annual Medieval Fayre here in my little town. They're not particularly authentic but fun to wander around. Yesterday it was on so DH and I went down to have a look and enjoy ourselves. One really interesting entertainment act was a troupe of belly dancers, who weren't dressed in the usual costumes but had sort of flamenco dresses, very full skirted with lots of ruffled petticoats underneath and a large ruffle up one side from the hem to the hip, which swayed gently as they danced. The music was slow and the tunes were modern, but reinterpreted to sound faux-medieval. The ladies also danced slowly, and it was very beautiful and quite mesmerising.

They also had fighting displays by different "knights", who came in all styles: the kind we usually think of when we think of knights, Vikings, elves, all genders.

There were throngs of people dressed in all kinds of costumes, some authentic, most fantasy type costumes, including a very cute toddler in a dragon suit. One very confident looking bearded man (who I suspect lost a bet at some point before the fair) was strolling around in a kind of Swiss maid dress- short dirndl skirt with a bib, off the shoulder peasant blouse, and a hennin :-)

At one point I needed to go to the ladies' room, and DH waited outside for me. When I came out, DH remarked, "I heard something you don't hear every day- "Here, hold my axe while I go to the ladies"." LOL

Comment