SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lee_me

More Fun with Shin-Gyo-So

18 years ago

I came across a fascinating (and recent --- 2004) four-page doctoral dissertation from a student at Osaka City University Dept. of Architecture and Building Engineering entitled ÂgShin Gyo So in the Traditional Japanese Arts.Âh The link to it is given below, but itÂfs in Japanese and you should only go there if you have plenty of time to wait for the Acrobat file to open up. The tables and diagrams might be interesting.

Here is a summary of some of the points forum members might find interesting. All this information is from the dissertation (my mediocre translations of all Japanese):

Shin Gyo So Â^ÂsÂÂÂ@originally referred to three styles of writing Chinese characters, and it originated in China. It developed over the course of time stretching from 1350 B.C. to 700 A.D. (early TÂfang era).

SGS was introduced to Japan and evolved during the period 593 to 1185 A.D.

During the period 1221 to 1573 A.D. SGS was cultivated in the Japanese arts, specifically in the fields of Renga (linked verse), Noh (drama), flower arranging, tea and gardens.

[The last paragraph of page 3 and first table and bit of text on page 4 pertain to SGS with respect to gardens.]

SGS in Japanese gardens consists in reducing the number of stones. It first comes into play in the 1395 A.D. Japanese garden manual ÂgSecret Teachings from the Ancient Saga Traditions.Âh

ÂgShinÂh gardens use numerous stones of ten types (functions). [The names of the types of stones are given in a table, for example ÂgWater-dividing StoneÂh and ÂgFudo-o StoneÂh]

ÂgGyoÂh gardens use fewer stones, and only use eight types.

ÂgSoÂh gardens use hardly any stones, and of only three types.

[A colored table/chart shows the introduction of SGS into the various Japanese arts (rows) during the time period from 1300 to 1600, also illustrating the overlapping of influence of various art forms.]

The summary (which uses as an example the influence of SGS in Noh theater) gives an interesting analysis of SGS. ÂgShinÂh is described as a situation where you start with something called [A], and where pieces are added according to conscious analysis to give you the final result --- everything is evident. ÂgGyoÂh involves the inclusion of related material (which is not included in the ÂgShinÂh type) which suggests parallel or allegorical themes. ÂgSoÂh works backwards through unconscious synthesis of its constituent parts to suggest something like the original idea ([A]), except that now it has become a completely different thing, so they call it [A~].

The author notes that ÂgSo,Âh by condensing or reducing ÂgShin,Âh allows for a variety of interpretations.

Sorry to be so long-winded --- I thought it was interesting!

Lee

The link is:

http://harch.arch.eng.osaka-cu.ac.jp/~design/nakatani/kozin/syuuronn_kougai/ose.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Slow-loading pdf of dissertation

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor