SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawnb818

NEW: i have an idea and this will be fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dawnb818
19 years ago

I hope to explain this as clearly as I can... I want 12 people. I am going to give each of those 12 people their own month. Our job as the other 11 people is to send a gift each month to that person of the month! SOOOOOOOOOOO..........each month, someone will get a total of 11 gifts from this group!!! You can send your gift anytime that month!!!!!!!!! Well, I want 11 People, because I want to play too!!! :) OKAY??? Need 11 people, and I need your address mailed to me, so I can make an address list and send it to everyone else. ALSO, send me your birth month, maybe I can sort it out that way and break down there after....... Got it? First 11 people to email me their name, GW name, address and birthday!!!!!!!

Comments (58)

• lunamoon
    19 years ago

Sounds like fun! I'll send you my info.

• zztopsoil
    19 years ago

Signing On if...
    Your Not Full Already.
    Info on it's Way.

• Related Discussions

I am new and have no idea where to start-and I have LOTS of ants

Q

Comments (3)
    Ants are an unsolvable problem, spraying only kills workers, and then you can not eat your crops. I was told to buy a bait to have the workers take back to the colony to feed the queen. No queen equals no workers. I bought every type of bait on the market and the ants would not touch it. They were too smart. If someone knows a cure for ants please post that. Try the soil forum, and add lots of compost. It costs a lot of money to buy a lot of compost and add it. It's a huge investment, but there is not much that can be done about the cost of it. Making compost takes time and also money for bins or other products to add to compost mainly browns or else you need lots of leaves. I have page up on my website about composting, if you want to read all my suggestions. Click on the soil link. Here is a link that might be useful: My website
    ...See More

UPDATE: Make new Friends Ghouls just wanna have fun #2

Q

Comments (150)
    Ok, girls. I'll work on the first one to make it more as you wish. :) We'll see how it comes out in the long run. Heh. Dirt... THANK YOU for commenting on the box! I totally missed the groupings! They got buried under all the posts during my sleepy reading yesterday!!! Yes, my info sheet is correct from OBF. If you got the latest email where we updated our wants/likes then you'll have a better idea of where I'm at in my gardening life. If not, the old one is pretty accurate. Debbya... your box should probably go out this week. I've collected some goodies for you!
    ...See More

I'm Back From Having Fun!

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm thinking about packing up and moving near Marilyn Sue! We don't have yard sales here where you would find so many things new with tags still on them. And I am looking for new lawn chairs. I would have grabbed those in a heart beat! We are having a multi-family yard sale here tomorrow. I have been going through "stuff" and I'm putting out some collectibles that I hope someone will want. So hard to know how to price some things. Sue
    ...See More

Having fun with new plants! (zone 9)

Q

Comments (23)
    There are only three nurseries I go to now with any regularity since Roger Reynolds closed. Closest to home and a favorite is Ladera Nursery. Smaller, but the owner often brings in unique things and I love to stop and browse there. I also like Summerwinds, and now that I've developed an interest in natives, I always browse the large native section now too. Wegmans is a third choice. Mostly standard nursery fare there. Farther afield, I love Half Moon Bay Nursery, but it's definitely more of a drive. They have an extra large areas devoted to Annie's Annuals and I'll bet you'd find Rozanne there.
    ...See More
  • earthlydelights
    19 years ago

hey dawn,

if you haven't filled all your slots yet, i just e-mailed you my information.

this is an interesting twist...sounds fun :)

thanks,
    earthly

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello Everyone,
    I'm about ready to send you some info, first I need Luna Moon to send me an address and I need rewards1 (Liz) to send me her birthdate......unless someone knows this info already, they can send it to me. After I get this info, I will email all of you.
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!! Dawn

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

Sounds like fun.. I want in, if I'm not too late.

I'm emailing you my info, just in case I made it. :)

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

A little info........ I decided to not go by birthdays, well not on purpose if it happens that way. I'm just going to put us all in a hat and thats who will be the SPECIAL PERSON OF THE MONTH!! AND to keep it exciting, no one will know until I post who will be that special person! I am waiting on info from Luna Moon, your info mails and then I will let you know who the PERSON OF MARCH IS !!!!!!!
    Thank you everyone for signing up. This will be fun.
    ALSO>>>> WHEN IT IS YOUR MONTH>>>> Please post what you have been getting!!!!!!!!!! *SMILES* Dawn

• ChooChooGal
    19 years ago

Is it to late to sign up?

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi all!
    Just a quick update that we are still waiting on 3 people to respond to questions and Lizy asked price on gifts. Thats up to you, you can buy one gift, you can send a basket/box of misc gifts, it is all up to you. We just want to have each person enjoy 'their' special month just for them. :) I drew a name from the bowl and already know who will be the person for MARCH!! :) As soon as I get the rest of the info, I will let you know who it is!!!
    :) Dawn

• number_1_angel
    19 years ago

Have you closed this yet?? If not-- I'd love to join--plmk!
    Jeanette

• TREESA207
    19 years ago

Hey, WAIT FOR ME YOU GUYS.......I wanna play.
    Treesa207

• djm906
    19 years ago

If still open, I'd like top be included, Doris

• Cynna66
    19 years ago

Sounds good! I'd like to join if there are any more openings. What a fun idea =)

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

This is a 12 person swap. However, there have been sooooooo many people emailing me or posting here wanting in. I wish there were more months!! But, someone can start another swap like this one so more can get involved and enjoy it too. So, to those that were not able to get in, I hope that someone can start a swap like mine so you all can have fun too. Dawn

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi All.......... Just waiting on ZZTOPSOIL to email me with info. I have mailed her twice and not heard from her. Maybe she's not getting my mail??? :( I dunno......, so if anyone talks to her, let her know that we are waiting on her info and then we will get started with the SPECIAL PERSON OF THE MONTH OF MARCH, which is...........................................to be continued..........

• veeja11
    19 years ago

waiting patiently

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My daughter got the most adorable little chihuha. I didnt know that they were so darn cute. He has turned into the familys little baby like you would not imagine! But.... we cant think of a name. He is 8 weeks old, weighs 2 pounds, brown is his main color and he has longer hair then normal chihuhas, his ears and eyes are the most adorable about him. He has his papers and his chip in his neck in case he was to get lost. (Maybe under the couch would be the extent of it) Any name ideas??? Are brains are mush from trying to think. :)

Okay................... Everyone and everything is all in! I emailed everyone, everyone elses information. If you did not get it, let me know. Be sure to keep the list. Thank you everyone for signing up. I think this is going to be great fun for all! Please remember, when it is YOUR month, please come here and post the things that you have got and if you'd like post who sent it to you if you'd like to thank them and such. Also, please everyone, hold up on your end of the deal. IF for some reason you can not carry on, email me and let me know. Okay.....ready for the MARCH special person of the month?? As I said I wont be going by birthdays, but it just so happens that this person has her birthday in the month of March! So, she will have a good month!! OUR SPECIAL PERSON OF THE MONTH FOR MARCH IS........ ***DEBBIE HOBBS*** ALSO KNOWN AS Debbie_SW_OK . Congrats Debbie and enjoy YOUR month!!!!!

Dawn :)

• mamabirrd
    19 years ago

Dawn,
    Thanks for all your hard work getting everything organized. This is going to be lots of fun.

Your DD's new puppy sounds so sweet. Can you post pics?

Congratulations Debbie on being lucky #1! I have a few ideas for you already.

~mamabirrd

• kimskreations
    19 years ago

Congratulations Debbie on being the First with a SPECIAL MONTH! I am looking foward to shopping for that "SPECIAL" thing for your "SPECIAL MONTH".

Dawn, here are a couple ideas for dog names:

Zowie
    Ruxbin
    Gizmo

Going to read about everyone now!

Kim

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

Whoo Hoo!!!!!!! I feel lucky! I can't believe you drew my name for March.

I think this is going to be great fun, even if I wasn't first. LOL

I'm looking forward to shopping for each of you & hope to find something special for all of y'all.

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

Whoopee! I'm happy, too! I so did NOT want it to be my turn yet. March is the youngest dd's & dh's b'day & I just wouldn't have felt right if a bunch of packages came for me instead.

OOOeee! This is going to be your best b'day month EVER, Debbie! I think we'll all make sure of that. Congratulations!

• suzannie
    19 years ago

Dawn,

Your daughter's little dog sounds just like my little "Coco". There's a real nice story about little Coco and how I got him if you want to hear it sometime - but what about "Coco" for your daughter's doggie's name??

• dawiff
    19 years ago

Whoooo Hoooo! Another reason to go shopping! Can't wait to get to work on this! I am so looking forward to it.

Congrats to Debbie on being No. 1!

Alison

• veeja11
    19 years ago

How about alf ?

• kimskreations
    19 years ago

When my daughter was born she was very tiny, we nicknamed her "PUMPKIN".....You're welcome to use that name if you'd like as she looks like a little PUMPKIN.

Kim

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the puppy name ideas. I have told my daughter all of them and she is STILL deciding. I made him some pajamas. :) I'm use to my big ol labs and this little guy is like having a baby!
    I decided for the month of April, that instead of pulling a name out of a hat, I am going to ask a trivia question!!! And the first one to email me the answer, will be the special person of the month for April. :) So you have most of next month to put your thinking caps on. DO DO DO DO......jeopardy music plays in the background. :)
    Have fun in March Debbie, looking forward to hearing all that you get!!!!
    Dawn

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

hey dawn, that's a pretty neat way to decide for april.
    although you could go back to the birthday thing for may (hint, hint, hint)

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Now Come on Earthly, have some faith with your trivia knowledge. :) You can use your phone a friend and if all else fails, I'll put up a 50/50. :)
    Dawn

:)

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

i have the utmost faith in my trivia knowledge, unless of course it sports, then i'm doomed.

i have to admit dawn, this is a real intersting way to run a robin/swap and already it's lots of fun participating and we really haven't started yet! can't wait to hear what everyone receives. the neat thing about it is every few days in whoever's month it is another package will be delivered. God bless the postman.

well, i'm off to read about everyone and gather some ideas.

thanks again dawn for organizing this swap and my ability to participate in it.

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I realized that I can no longer go into a store or anywhere that I'm not looking for things for these swaps!!!!! It's so addicting! :)

Dawn

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

Dawn,
    I thought I was the only one!

I picked up things for my other secret pal today & then saw something that someone here listed as a collected item so I picked it up too.

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

Ouija, the dog's name should be Ouija because he's such a wee one.

Whew! I'm safe for April, too. LOL I have NO interest in sports & I'm so old that I don't even know the names of most actors or other current popular stars, movies, songs, etc. I don't even want to know. I only watch 2 TV shows and the first half of news at night. (Once they do the weather report I'm outta there.) My car radio is broken & I've been in withdrawal from missing NPR for the last 5 months. Boohoohoo! Without NPR, I feel out of touch w/the world. LOL You'll ask a trivia question & I won't have the foggiest idea what you're talking about, much less the answer. Sheesh! I even forget who the president is and don't know my own age unless I remember what year it is and calculate from when I was born. I can't even blame it on old age. When my 2nd dd was born, I filled out her birth cert. forms and put that I was 21. A couple of days later the lady in the Records Office asked me very politely, "Don't you have a 10yo?" "Are you sure you're 21?" LOL So, now I'm 29 and have a dd who is 33.

Guess who will NOT win the trivia game. ;o)

Hey, Dawn, couldn't you just type out your own answer & email it to yourself as soon as you post? I do hope you put your name right in there w/everyone else's when you draw names and don't wait to be the last. (I think May would be an appropriate month for someone who has 9 kids living under her roof, NONE of whom have that month for a b'day. Hint Hint, or Nov. because that same someone has lots to be thankful for, or Feb because that's the LAST month & there wouldn't be any guessing, or, or, or...) Ya know what, I think it will be fun to just wait and see. :o)

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ok, maybe I wont do trivia. Maybe I'll put everyones names on paper and put them on the floor and the first one that the new puppy runs to will be the SPECIAL of that month!! lol Well, we'll take it one month at a time, for now, we just need to start getting things together for Debbie!! :)

Dawn

• veeja11
    19 years ago

runs into or wee wees on ?

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

Aw, YOU should have fun w/this! Go ahead & do that trivia and have FUN w/it! I am in just the opposite of a hurry to have this come to my name because I enjoy the anticipation and waiting so much. I'm gonna keep hopin' that my name DOESN'T come up too soon so that I can enjoy the wait as long as possible.

So, you could let the puppy go at them, and then pick up what was left to figure out which of us he selected for his special "puppy destruction".

(PS - pick Ouija. I've never known a doggie named Ouija. Have you?)

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have never heard that name for any animal! lol But I think its a cute one. :) The sun is actually shinning here today, might be in the 40's...... feel like going out and playing!!!! Will spring ever get here??????????

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

NOTE TO ALL....... Hi all! I want to suggest to each of you that there are many of us involved in more then one swap and such, and to be on the safe side and always know whats going on, when you send your box to someone, make sure you put a little note in there saying (From Dawn's Special Person of the month) so your receiver knows what activity it is for.
    :) Dawn

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I dont know if this will work or not, but here is a pic of the little guy that we were trying to name......

[URL=http://www.theimagehosting.com][IMG]http://images5.theimagehosting.com/srhsh.JPG[/IMG][/URL]

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago
  • dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

now it worked using this on my webiste, how come not here?

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

Dawn,
    Try posting it like this:

Just remove both of the * to get the picture to show up instead of the code.

What a cutie!

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago
  • dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

why does it go right into my website and not here, still didnt work.

{{gwi:1246818}}

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

didnt mean for it to be so big. :(

She named him...... Moose ! dont know where in the world that name came from. She calls him Moosey most of the time.
    and by the way.... I have started some flowers in the kitchen and they have started out great, then after a week or so, they start looking bad. I've watered more, watered less, added more light, changed soil, used filtered water because our water is bad, I dont know whats going on !!!!!
    I've been sick all day, might have to have surgery on my right arm, anyone got a huge rock I can crawl under for awhile????

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

Dawn, that little cutie might be the smallest "Moose" ever. I hope you're feeling better today! I'm too busy to be sick. It makes me grouchy when I'm too sick to do the things I feel like I need to.

What kind of flowers are you trying to grow? I've been through those rounds for many years of letting the kiddos start seeds indoors in Feb & few, if any, ever really thrived. LOL Always wound up going out to buy plants to replace them. Ah, well, at least it kept them busy & excited & hopeful waiting for spring. This year we did the winter sowing thing & so far it looks like the ones that have sprouted outside and survived the ups and downs of our weather are smaller, but hardier & more healthy looking than any they tried growing inside.

Moose, eh?

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Moose weighs 1 pound, our youngest lab weighs 50 pounds! And Moose must think he's all big and all because when he is playing he will show his teeth and growl. lol Too funny.
    As far as my plants go, I started Clematis, zinnia, amaranth, morning glories, maiden pinks, bellflowers and they all were anywhere from an inch to 2 inches high and then it just goes down hill from there. My plumerias are doing great and my tomatoe plants are doing great, I dont know whats going on with the others. We do have really hard water and my husband told me to stick a bucket outside and use the rain water next time I start seeds. I dont know!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Thank goodness I have more seeds (because of all my buddies here) so I'll try and try again. :)
    Dawn

• RainbowLake
    19 years ago

I read an article that said sometimes seeds dampen off. They get a fungus in the soil and it kills the seedlings. It said the best way to prevent it is to water your seedlings from the bottom and let the water absorb up into the soil. Maybe that would help you.

karen

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I will try that as well. Thanks, :) Dawn

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

Dawn, I'm no seed growing expert, but I've got some thoughts. Clematis might like it better outside. I know it's not as cold here for as long as it is there, but I put mine outside. I don't even expect to see those seeds sprout until maybe next year after they've gone through the hot & cold cycles a couple of times. I don't know about the others, but the morning glories and zinnias are fast growing hot weather lovers. It's still about a month to early for us to start them even down here. Why don't you try winter sowing a few seeds? It's a fun experiment.

What sounds good is that your plummies are growing. LOL I think I'd be doing a dance of joy for a couple of nice plumeria even if I'd lost all those others and more!

• dawnb818
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Mudmom!
    Yes, I was happy to see the Plumerias coming up and they are doing good. My clematis was doing good but only for about a week, actually everything was doing good and then after a week, they were done. I did try the wintersowing this year, so we'll see how that goes, right now they are covered with snow. I'm starting to think maybe I should just trade plants on that exchange, but I dont have enough here to really go over there and do that. What month do you get to be Queen over at the other swap? These swaps are so much fun, so glad I found this site! :) Dawn

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

I'm Queen of May. It seems too soon. LOL That's going to be a busy month here as we try to get everything new established as well as possible before our hot, humid, and rain lacking summer sets in. Tropicals and succulents thrive here in the summer but it's also a matter of helping all those things survive that do so well a little farther north. I'm trying again on peonies and columbine. They survive winter well, but are really stressed by our summers.