SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arirl

Doors, Dogs and Mid-Century Modern Layout

Ari K
last year

Looking for some advice on the possible layout of the Kitchen and Laundry room. I'll be hiring a design firm or an architecture to finalize the layout this year but like to get as many opinions, thoughts or concerns as possible before interviewing anyone for the design. ( I am pretty good at pinpointing problems or annoyances, but absolutely no creativity when it comes to reimagining layouts). Any advice on the potential layouts will be appreciated.

I live with my two dogs, no kids, like to cook and entertain (small party of 3-5 usually for dinner and drinks). My kitchen is pretty much used and abused daily. I purchased this property knowing I'll be remodeling the kitchen for putting down hardwood floors, new cabinets (I build custom cabinets as a hobby) and appliances. Just wanted to live in the house for a year or so to get a better idea of what else could be changed. So here's my list of kitchen annoyance (i.e must get fixed/have):

• Get rid of the door between the kitchen and Laundry room.
  • Get rid of the Powder room, not an annoyance but not needed. I would like to get rid of it and have a dog bathing station and the washer and dryer (stacked) in the laundry room. (The second bath will be added to master suite upstairs)
  • Add a small wet bar to the kitchen
  • No upper cabinets
  • Slide-in gas range and wall-mount hood
  • Replace the 2 dropped beam opening for a flush ceiling throughout.
  • The other part of the house will be painted, floors refinished to a light natural oak look, new baseboard and casings, light fixtures, etc.

I've realized how important a good layout is having to remember the sequence of opening the doors to the backporch or the walk around the island coming in to get to the sink and fridge (this sounds like a first world problem, I know. Add zigzagging between two wagging tail to the list and it becomes a real challenge)

Listing photos, it's still the same plus some clutter

Comments (3)