SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firstmmo

Mid-Century Modern Remodel--finished kitchen

firstmmo
11 years ago

Some of you have seen my old kitchen that was a Modern Farmhouse style kitchen, but I thought it would be fun to post a few pics of a project that I did over the past year. I bought a foreclosed home that was built in 1958 and had been badly neglected for ten years. It had bats living in it and a wild animal had made a home in one of the bedrooms. It was super old and disgusting! It took us almost 8 months to gut the inside and re-do everything. We didn't change the footprint, just tweaked the walls and layout a bit. The kitchen came out really pretty so I figured I'd post and show it. We sold it a month ago, so we never actually lived in it. It was a fun project to work on though.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Comments (52)

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

LOVE IT! The hanging fixture is very cool. Really, all of it is just awesome. Love all the angles.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

gee, it was horrible before! great job in redoing it - which is why it sold so quickly I'm sure.

• Related Discussions

Mid Century Modern style kitchen - suggestions?

Q

Comments (19)
    I'm in the process of doing this very thing. Doing Bridgewood Skandia (full overlay)cabs in maple with wheat finish...black counter of some nature (granite? Quartz? Still to be determined) and, goddess help me, stainless appliances. The Husband likes the look of ss and he so seldom has an opinion and when he does, I usually let him have his way. (Unless I'm totally opposed.) My sister SWEARS that there's a new stainless finish that isn't a fingerprint nightmare. I hope she's correct. Here are the tiles we are leaning toward for the backsplash...(tiny samples...I've ordered larger ones but they've not arrived yet): From Tile samples So far I'm leaning to the micro-mosaic on the left. Colors are JUST what I'm looking for. I set everything on The Dreaded Black Shelves so that I could get a feel for how the tiles would work with a black counter. Propped my cabinet sample above...and that is what I have for a "style board" to date. Floor will be marmoleum...I've included a link to my pinterest board for my kitchen. I've found pinterest to be a great way to add/edit ideas. Here is a link that might be useful: mjsee's kitchen pinterest board
    ...See More

Mid Century Modern Kitchen in Texas

Q

Comments (45)
    OOOOHHHH. AAAhhhhh. I really admire your vision. I love the way you made your renovation "fit" the bones of your home so much. I've been looking at Ikea to create a very similar "pantry wall" - may I ask if you used 15"-15"-24"-15"-15" cabinets/Rubrik doors? Are they 12" or 24" deep? They appear to be 12", however it is difficult to tell. Did you use Perfekt Nexus cabinets on their sides to create the top? I love how it adds to the rhythm. Were you able to use Ikea pieces to finish the ends/top, or did you need to head to a lumber store? It is just beautiful. Thank you! Hestia Here is a link that might be useful: Perfekt Nexus cabinet
    ...See More

Mid Century Modern Kitchen Peninsula Waterfall Depth and Overhang

Q

Comments (2)
    My island is about the same size. I think it's around 109 x 54" wide. I really like this width. I think either width for you would work. I also have shallow cabinets, maybe 12" or less in the seating area. I think I would put some boxes out or posterboard to see if you can map out the two size differences and see which works best for the room. Here's some pics of my island - they arent great, but theyre all I have stored on the computer for now. Your house looks awesome, btw!
    ...See More

Doors, Dogs and Mid-Century Modern Layout

Q

Comments (3)
    I agree with the previous posters, especially as to the door to the laundry room. I don't like barn doors, but a pocket door would be great. This is a small kitchen, I'm not sure how you are going to have enough storage space without upper cabinets. Or if no uppers, I would have a 24 - 36" wide full height pantry cabinet somewhere. If you were to switch the kitchen and dining areas this seems possible. The dining area isn't pictured completely - are they full height windows or could you put cabinets under them?
    ...See More
  • go_figure01
    11 years ago

WOW. what a transformation ! So now I get that you have been doing this for awhile! are you for hire???? love your design perspective!!

are those concrete floors? gorgeous!!

TY for posting!!

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

Absolutely wonderful ! What an eye for potential. Every time I think I have seen the best remodel yet someone else posts another stunner !! Great job . c

• localeater
    11 years ago

I love your taste. I would buy a house your decorated.
    Couple of questions:
    Is there a teeny tiny 1" matching counter top backsplash every where? Was that by design, or necessity to cover a gap?
    Are the sconces on the stove wall the Boston Functional Library light? I am looking for something similar but less $, and am hoping you found it for me?

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

It is done already? Beautiful. Love the feel of the room.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

I LOVE it, but I am sad you never lived in it! It looks wonderful!!! Do you have any more pics to share? Would really like to see more LR/DR pics as well as the rest of the house.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

that is gorgeous! i am sure the new owner is thrilled! you have fabulous taste!
    i am still trying to copy your first white princess kitchen! can you tell me what the countertop material is?

• ljwrar
    11 years ago

Beautiful transformation!

• function_first
    11 years ago

My gosh, this is not like any house flip I've seen in this area. Looks soooooooo lavish. What a lucky, lucky buyer, I'm completely green with envy....
    Nice work! Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Do you mind sharing info on the door/drawer pulls? Love those!

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Aside from how gooey-gorgous it is....I must give high compliments for moving the doorway in the kitchen, and squaring it up. It really gels the whole space. You nailed the proportions!

Very nice.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

OK - where do I sign up for the firsthouse_mp Renovations Blog/Premium Channel? I'm hooked! Love your first home, this one is great fun, and am very much looking forward to your watching your new kitchen unfold. Best, oldbat2be

• modern_mom35
    11 years ago

OMG!! I LOVE this! I am a huge sucker for modern and wish I could have gone this modern with ours. the waterfall island is to die for...details please!

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. This was a fun project and I loved working on something different from my other house.

The counter is marble--just regular polished Carrera marble with a 3" mitered edge. I waterfalled only the one side because you can see the sink is directly across from it. I felt that the cabinet could use water protection if you were going to turn around and chop lettuce or something behind you on the island.

Fun antler sconces in the DR:

The dormers really helped the low ceiling problem:

That fireplace and brick wall got covered up and a concrete hearth got put in:

Look at what it looked like when I bought it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Drawer pulls by Giusti

• karen_belle
    11 years ago

Love the furnishings, too. Did you rent them for staging while it was on the market? Or did you sell it furnished?

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Just gorgeous!

• Linda
    11 years ago

Oh wow! You are very talented! Amazing transformation.

• drybean
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!! I love all of it. I'm crazy for all that glass!

Would you share the cabinet maker? That is exactly the look I am going for with my remodel.

• swickbb
    11 years ago

OMG! At first look at the before kitchen I thought - wow you did a great job keeping it retro looking LOL! Since MCM is a favorite style of mine and I'd like to do something similar in the future, your whole re-do is so inspirational. Major kudos to you. It's simply stunning. I definitely would have been in the line to buy that house. Love it! The outside lines and style with the glass and all - oh wow. You have the vision! Thanks for the eye candy.

• cawaps
    11 years ago

A beautiful kitchen to match a beautiful house. Great design choices. I envy the new owners.

Did you purchase the house intending to flip it? And was it a good investment? When I was a kid, my aunt and uncle would buy homes and fix them up for resale (before anyone started using the verb "flip"). They went through quite a few homes that I remember.

• chinchette
    11 years ago

So nice to see your new work. I recognized your art work from your first house. You have TALENT! Is this an Eikler?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Wow! What a change - Love everything you did - especially the change in color - what a neat house!

• taggie
    11 years ago

Nice job. I like how you changed the space and moved the doorway to make a walkthrough hall and added the windows. Much more functional kitchen, and great light too.

That before kitchen was really something, lol. That tilework in front of the cooktop was, um, interesting. You are blessed with real vision to have been able to create your finished kitchen from that starting point. Congrats!

• chinchette
    11 years ago

So nice to see your new work. I recognized your art work from your first house. You have TALENT! Is this an Eikler?

• chinchette
    11 years ago

Gosh I can't believe this thread went dead. Firsthouse, I would love to hear more details. Did you make a profit? What did you do with the bathrooms?

• ratrem
    11 years ago

Wow amazing transformation, love the dormers. I bet that looked amazing from the inside. The kitchen is incredible. Such detail for a house that you sold quickly, was it a planned flip?

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Now thats what I call a serious renovation!
    Such wonderful staging/decoration
    Post this on Houzz.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chinchette:
    The house was designed and built in 1958 and it appeared as if not one upgrade had been done since then. Additionally, it had not been maintained for 10+ years. The style would likely have been called Eichler-inspired as it was not built by Joseph Eichler but was likely trying to mimic his style. Around here where there are tons of real Eichlers, we call them Like-lers, but since ours was so incredibly ugly, we called it an Ug-ler!

We did make some money on this house but the vast amount of property improvements did eat into the profits substantially. It sits on an acre property and we had to re-do the pool, pool gazebo and the landscaping. The house also did not have a garage but had a carport which was very common for this style and era. At the last hour, we decided to add a full garage and that cost quite a bit which we do not think we got back in the sale price. They would have paid the same amount with or without the garage we think.

For a while we considered moving into this house, but my youngest son decided to attend school in an area that is IMO too far away from this property. I know this because when I was a kid, I used to live in the town this is located and "commuted" to school from there--I always wanted to be able to bike to school/walk to town, etc, and this house was not located in an area that is walkable to anywhere. In the end, we ended up purchasing a rancher closer to everything for us....which is being torn down to the studs in about four months. It will likely not be our last house, as I want to be back in a smaller home when all my kids are gone. My contractor loves me--it will be four homes in ten years with him!

Thanks for all of the nice compliments. I hope this inspires some of you with all that talent and vision to keep remodeling!!

• dljmth
    11 years ago

Amazing! Are you for hire? I would love some help on our remodel :)
    Also in the Bay Area.

• michmoxie
    11 years ago

I agree this remodel and furnishing is terrific! I second wanting to know who makes the cabinets....also, the marble. I have wanted to use Caesarstone for my kitchen for forever but the marble also looks really nice. I will be doing the waterfall on both sides. Love the bubble light fixture as well. And, also where did you find those great antler sconces?I am buying the same Nuevo sputnik lamp for my dining room. Bottom line.....you did a tremendous job!

• drybean
    11 years ago

I keep coming back to stare at the pics. Its just so lovely!

The flooring-marmoleum? Which color?

• chinchette
    11 years ago

Thats really interesting. I'm glad you came out okay but I can see that you have that same impulse my husband and I have on our projects to make it all perfect. We had a Likeler in Sacramento. We LIKED it a LOT! It was made better than an Eichler though. I loved the rhomboid windows and all the sliding glass doors on the whole back of the house. And I didn't mind the carport and neither did my buyer when we sold it. (Despite what the realtors told us). It was our first and house. Really love the un-presumptuous style. But that was what Eickler had in mind- to bring style to the masses affordably.

One reason I was so curious how you made out is that we are in contract to do a flip right now. I will have to restrain myself!

Anyway, thanks again for posting and for showing us your talent. You're fantastic at this, and its really fun to see.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Unbelievable transformation, wow wow WOW. Was thinking to myself the other day how much fun it must have been when your last home went on the market, to hear the commentary and raves. Firsthouse_mp - wish you were closer so I could hire you!!! Or more realistically, ply you with wine while I pump you for ideas:). Best, oldbat2be

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The cabinets are by Greenfield Custom Cabinets in Qtr Sawn Walnut. The marble is just some slabs that I found at my usual fabricator's slabyard. The flooring is actually cement and the whole house is pretty much on a slab, so all we did was re-cement the entire flooring since it was stained and not very "clean" looking. The fun antler sconces are by Roll and Hill--I love those, they are really wild.

Good luck Chinchette on your flip. Just keep to the budget--we actually did basically keep to our budget, but some unforseen problems with buying a foreclosure can drastically eat into the profits. We did the best we could and as my husband likes to say "we beat the market", so that's all I cared about. We also finished the entire project in about 9 months, which my contractor, Millennium Enterprises, really is responsible for--they did an amazing job (as they did on my other white house).

I have been working as an interior designer for some time in the SF Bay Area and wish I had more time to devote to projects like this but have my hands full with my existing clients and my own homes. If only there were more hours in a day!! However OB2B must be talking to my sisters who released my secret that I can be bought with wine :)

Here are some of the bathrooms:

Some Before and after shots:

Pool Gazebo after I fixed it up:

Master Bedroom area:

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Oh jeez, you're killing me! The mor of the house I see, the more I want it! Spectacular job!

• nursetammi
    11 years ago

First House,
    All I kept saying with every picture was "You can not be Serious", that you really did all that. What a beautiful job. You my dear are really a professional. I don't think there has ever been a thread that I kept scrolling up and down looking at the before's and then after's. Thanks so much for sharing, it's been really fun looking at all the pictures. What a great transformation.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Oh jeez, you're killing me! The more of the house I see, the more I want it! Spectacular job!

• dljmth
    11 years ago

Hi firsthouse_mp - Thanks for the lead on your fabricator. They seem great and we will likely use them for our project. Would you recommend your painters? If so, please let me know their name.

Thanks!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

And you even have 'our' fairytale wallpaper! The exterior shots, including landscaping, are great fun to see. Glad you had the presence of mind to remember to photograph. So frustrating to improve something so very much and then realize you hated the old version so much, you never photographed it....

• chinchette
    11 years ago

Wowza! So you're an interior designer. A GOOD one! I love the wall paper and everything else you showed. I hope you show us your next house too. I now have two new words I will be using and will not forget: Likeler, and Ugler.

• theanimala
    11 years ago

Amazing! I've always loved your taste! Your neighbors must love you...

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Wow! I didn't see this thread until today and am just blown away. You must have had people knocking down the door to buy this while you remodeled! Amazing, beautiful job and I hope we see more renovations you tackle in the future. Well done and congratulations!

P.S. - I too am giggling over the new words, Like-ler and Ug-ler.

• hlove
    11 years ago

Like everyone else, I am also blown away! I, too, hope you continue to post more projects...it's so inspiring to witness the vision, creativity, energy, and care someone of your talent puts into their work. Thank you for sharing!

• dljmth
    11 years ago

I keep returning to this and your other house. So amazing!

It looks like you did a different thickness on your perimeter counters than on your island. Looks like about 1.5" on perimeter and 3" on island. Do the heights match? Or is the island slightly higher?

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

firsthousemp, yet again another homerun! Can you tell me a little about the ceilings? is this a paint or did you have them re-stained?

We just bought a MCM with similar ceilings and we are trying to figure out what to do with them - they have moisture damage and are very stained, so they are in need of repair.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pip:
    Not sure if you are still around and working on the MCM home, but sorry I hadn't seen this. The paint on the ceiling is a "white wash" stain. I had the painters use a grayish stain and then wipe it off so that it looked somewhat cerused. Some of the ceiling has stains from stuff too, and they do show through, but the paint helped mask it somewhat and I think the grayed wood with the wood grain showing through, was a nice look. I have seen people paint the ceiling of these Like-lers white and sometimes I do like the look of that. On this particular home which is in a very woodsy Town, I felt that the wood was a better blend with the property. Would love to see what you are doing with your new place! I really still love the MCM homes and may end up eventually living in one...I grew up in a real Eichler and I have a soft spot for them :)

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

thanks for responding firsthouse...sorry I'm just seeing this now. We ended up painting the ceilings white -- it was a decision that caused a fair amount of hand-wringing, but we're glad we did it. It really made the space feel larger. The house is still a work in progress but here's the white painted ceiling:

I'm so in love with that Jessica Martin raincloud piece you put in your remodel. That and those antler fixtures are brilliant.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pip: That house is beautiful! Is it ocean that I can see out that window? Wow. Have you done a progress posting that I missed??? Would love to see more pics.

The antlers are by Roll & Hill: http://www.rollandhill.com/

Here is Jessica Martin's work...she is still a working artist in Healdsburg, CA: http://www.jmartinart.com/skill-type/paintings/
    One day I'd love to go up and see her studio. I get so many comments on that green piece and I too love it. Hopefully six months from now, you will see it installed in our newest home.

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

thanks for the antler link firsthouse_mp!

Are you working on another project now? Can't wait to see photos of your new house!

I discovered Jessica Martin at a gallery in SF about 6 years ago. I was helping decorate the offices of the company I worked for at the time in and they bought three of her pieces that hung in our SF office. One was very similar to the one you have. I have been yearning for one of her pieces for years, so my husband bought me one of her pieces for Christmas, but it's sitting in a closet right now because we're trying to figure out the best place for it. I need to get some furniture in this house so we can find a spot for it!

The house does have ocean and city lights views. And the house also came with a peacock that lives in the yard. I wake up to him at our back door every morning. My dog is getting used to him being around. Here are some recent shots of our progress - we're working on the interior first but the property needs a lot of TLC too:

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler