SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Evolution of rolling out pie crust

plllog
last year
last modified: last year

When we were talking about rolling out awhile ago, I explained my method, which I pulled together from several sources. My usual way for years has been to roll between pieces of plastic wrap. It cuts way down on both mess and washing up water, and makes transferring to the dish a snap. It also makes it a lot easier working with odd crusts like GF or cracker. I do it on top of a Silpat to keep it from sliding around. Liberation from the pastry cloth! No hauling out the big board!

But then there's the question of waste since I might use as much as 6 feet of wrap. So looked for a permanent something and this time found it. Large squares of translucent, food grade silicone that one can see the dough through, and soft enough to be able to roll through. Very floppy. I think they're meant as table covers for toddler regions.

I tried them out today. Before cutting to a more useable size--and thinking that rounds, maybe 15" since my general limit is for a 10" pie. I might even get two out of one piece, leaving the other for rectangles or something. Anyway, rolling worked fine. A little more pressure needed than usual, but not a big amount. No ruffling of the top, nor rolling over and making the edge pop up. The measuring ring worked fine. All that was great. It didn't peel off as well as plastic, but that might also be because the dough was a higher temperature than usual--still cold, but the butter was beginning to soften. It was still good enough, but I used a small angled spatula to coax the edges. A little flour might have helped, but would add mess. The biggest issue was that it didn't slump well into the dish and kind of resisted patting down, but not badly. It kind of made up for it by being securely repositionable.

So, we have proof of concept. But we also have scary, unrelenting drought. The only improvement from the silicone is saving a tiny amount of plastic wrap--and I still needed plastic wrap to cover the dish to chill before filling (which is normally reused from the rolling). The downside is that the silicone is so soft, it picks up and hangs onto every stray grain of sugar, etc, so is harder than a Silpat to keep clean, and even conserving water it uses too much because it needs a running water rinse, besides the cup or two of soapy.

These silicone sheets could be useful for all sorts or things, and if the snow and rain ever comes and fills up the lakes and reservoirs, I might use them to roll out again... Now I just have to find a place to store them.

The measuring ring is on top. The dough is between two silicone sheets.

Uncovered, you can see imperfect edges and a few divots, but not bad.

It didn't slide down into the dish as neatly as usual, but came out fine after I removed the silicone sheet.

Still had to wrap for the fridge.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert