SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Etiquette question re new neighbors

Annie Deighnaugh
2 years ago

Mind you, we are reserved New Englanders. While we're not unfriendly, we also don't go out of our way to be involved with neighbors. We know the neighbors who abut our property and a few further afield. We usually meet new neighbors if we're taking a walk or they are...people sort of meet outside and chat a bit in a very informal way.

I recently received a very nice card... by which I mean the card itself was very nice quality and lovely... from new neighbors who are somewhere up the road on a side street giving us their name and address saying they want to be friends with us. Their surname would indicate that they are Indian. I have no idea if they have children or anything else.

I have no idea what an appropriate response would be...would it be in a card? Should I have them over for tea (not my first choice as we don't usually visit like that)...should I stop by with some muffins and introduce myself? I'm open to suggestions...don't want to be unkind or insulting, but don't feel overly comfortable with the situation as it's odd for me.

Suggestions?

Comments (234)