SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_111270375

Help! studio apartment bed nook?

Delaney Lindell
2 years ago

Hi - looking for some design advice for my studio apartment. The unit is from the 1920s and I am renting. The dilemma is what to do with the area where I have put my bed. I am thinking -
Option 1: curtain/valance situation (photo 4) but could be costly
Option 2: paint the nook area (thinking pink), but I can’t figure out how to differentiate the wall that stretches the rest of the apartment. Would I stop the pink before the arch? I am not a fan of accent walls so would either want to do all three walls or none
Option 3: patterned headboard. (Similar to photo 3) I bought a bed frame when I moved in so I’d rather not buy an all-new bed
Option 4: something I haven’t thought of yet! Open to anything that is not too cost prohibitive

Comments (41)

• partim
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Definitely get a headboard. The room looks very unfinished without it.

Hard to tell since you haven't given us measurements, but can the bed be rotated? I think it would look better than seeing the bed sideways.

More even lighting would make the space look better. Overhead light, although practical, doesn't make the room look inviting. Not sure if that is a built-in bookcase beside the door (closet?) Maybe a clip-on lamp, on the shelf? Or plug-in wall-mounted sconces?

I don't think painting 3 walls will work. You have the shelf and door on one side so very little wall there. And on the other side, the issue of where to stop the paint.

Do you have any wall art that you are going to put in that area? Are you planning to buy new bedding?

• pkpk23
    2 years ago

Eould your landlord let you install a ceiling track like oned used in hospital? You could put up semi-sheer curtains which would give privacy illusion. Valance and curtain pic lovely but would be expensive to have made and installed.

• Related Discussions

Help choose a chair for my tiny NYC studio apartment

Q

Comments (3)
    I was at IKEA over the weekend. The Soderhamn chairs seemed massive, like they would overwhelm your space. I would check out West Elm’s options. They have a pretty big selection of chairs and in my experience aren’t so huge, but still cozy. They should also have a NYC location so you can sit in the chairs. Also, they have chairs in color, since you don’t want the room to be too gray. Use the opportunity to get a fun color like teal or pink.
    ...See More

Need help with tiny studio apartment furniture layout

Q

Comments (6)
    I"m having trouble reading some of your writing. Will the bed fit on the opposite wall? How far into the room would it come? An open bookcase will create the illusion of separation and still let in the light.
    ...See More

Please help me with Studio Apartment

Q

Comments (11)
    Nice space for sure! I had to turn the plan around as needed to see it walking in. Here's a plan that would work for you. After reading you are an artist and need work space, you can eliminate the lounge chair in the corner near the column or the dining table altogether. I would spend all my money on a Clei Living Unit which incorporates storage, seating and a murphy bed in all different configurations. It's a brilliant system and you can build it around that nasty breaker box. Looks like you are in a big city, so you can go see it in a showroom. https://www.clei.it/en/catalogs  If you are handy, you probably can build the same concept. I love murphy beds as they just get hidden in a small space and you get the benefit of a regular mattress. Plus no one hangs out on your bed. The bed pulls down over the sofa.
    ...See More

Help - Studio Apartment Layout

Q

Comments (15)
    Here's one idea for the layout. I don't think there's room for bed, living and dining spaces. I would get a coffee table that converts to dining height and store a couple of folding chairs for dinner guests. The shelving unit at the end of the bed could be full height with tv on living room side. Or, it could be a lower dresser or console with tv that could swivel from living room to bed.
    ...See More
  • amykath
    2 years ago

I think a headboard would definitely help. I would also consider a new light fixture. You can find really cool ones for affordable prices.

• Delaney Lindell
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Measurements - 68in on wall with closet and bookshelf (included a pic here), 115in on wall with bed on it right now, and about 75in from arch to wall. @housegal200 - where are you suggesting the open bookcase? Where the lamp table is currently?

• Delaney Lindell
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@partim - yes to bedding though haven’t decided style yet. For context I have added a pic of the rest of the apartment. Not finished so don’t judge too much! Planning to keep color scheme in the nook as well. In terms of headboard, would you think canopy, something wood/traditional, or upholstered? I would say my style veers transitional/“grandmillenial”. I have 3 wall sconces but haven’t figured out where they would go yet - two above the bed and not use the third? Attaching a pic of the art I would like on the long wall as well.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

This is actually a nice size studio. Both my daughters own studio apartments and we undertand the limitations.

I agree with partim. If the bed can be rotated, you might be able to put a bookcase type piece of furniture, like housegal suggests, but lower and just the width if the bed. If not, it would still look better in that direction.

Honestly though, most of your friends won’t care that they see the bed.

• Delaney Lindell
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think this is indeed much better. Bed pokes out a little from entry. Do we think that is ok? Obviously ignore the enormous mess 🤪 going to do a headboard and two small night stands with lamp or sconces and move the dog kennel into the kitchen. Small art above bed and large bird art on empty wall

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Personally, the bed sticking out is not a 'good vibe'. It's not wrong, but looks messy.

floor to ceiling curtains, and as a room divider

Rod Desyne Commercial Ceiling Curtain Track Kit 10Ft (Compose of Two 5Ft Track) · More Info

Glenwood Residence · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

?
    good reviews, $176.

Possibly cheaper at Hobby Lobby.

6' Tall Window Pane, Special Edition, Ivory, 6 Panels · More Info

6' Tall Helsinki Shoji Screen, 3 Panel, Natural · More Info

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

A favorite concept of mine using lathe to surround and separate the bed from the rest of the space. Note the storage under the bed on both sides and the fact that the closet is in the same secluded area.

Studio · More Info

Studio: Bedroom · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

If hanging chair or bed can be suspended from the ceiling, likely a couple screens, whether of lightweight wood, or metal, could be hung too.... ?!

These panels might be not spring-loaded, but something like it?

Privacy Panel · More Info

• pkpk23
    2 years ago

Don’t think bed poking out a problem. You hsve a roomy studio but still a studio. Use the space the way it feels and works best for you.

Free- standing open bookcase a good look but needs attachment to floor/ceiling to not be a fallover hazard. Might not be feasible in rental.

• acm
    2 years ago

The spacing around the bed seems nice with it turned, but you lose the magic of the nook to make your bed seem like it's in its own room. I think I'd rotate it back, and then use either a curtain or a thin (like shogi) screen to extend from wall to at least 3/4 the length of the bed -- that would make a cozy bedroom and a complete divide from the LR side. (Would press the bed against either the screen or the wall.) Wall sconces are perfect, or you can get a reading light that stands on the floor but goosenecks around to where you need it (with base mostly under bed).

Alta Corten Steel Decorative Screen With Stand, Parilla · More Info

6' Tall Zen Shoji Screen, Honey, 6 Panels · More Info

6' Tall Double Sided Cranes Room Divider · More Info

6' Tall Bamboo Wave Screen, Natural · More Info

6' Tall Double Sided Blue and White Shutters Canvas Room Divider · More Info

Three Panel Wooden Room Divider With Traditional Carvings And Cutouts, Blue · More Info

6' Tall New York City Taxi Double Sided Room Divider · More Info

Just brainstorming... :)

• everdebz
    2 years ago

48 x 72” divider goes together with an included Allen wrench. Linen-look panel is taut across steel crossbars, and glides along the uprights, allowing you to position at desired height, and secure with thumb screws. In addition to the twist n fit spring tension installation, has optional anti-tip system; by way of concealed screws inside the mounting feet, our panel can be securely fastened into place.

Privacy Panel, Natural · More Info

• partim
    2 years ago

To help your budget stretch, places like Value Village and Goodwill can be a good source for soft goods. The ones near me have lots of curtains, some of them really large. And the bedding can be quite lovely. People redecorate and switch out things that are as nice as new. Or they get a bigger bed and donate their almost new bedding.

My teenage bedroom had a "canopy" like the pink striped one in your first picture. My Dad hung 2 curtain rods on the ceiling. I chose a fabric that looks the same on both sides, so I didn't have to double it. I just hemmed it all around. You could even use iron-on tape to finish the edges and make it a no-sew project, or I'm sure an alterations place or seamstress would charge very little. It is a charming look. My matching bed skirt was just a piece of the same fabric attached to the box spring with these pins.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

• ratherbesewing
    2 years ago

Here’s a DIY room divider. I would keep the fabric selection very neutral. IKEA has inexpensive cotton panel. You could use multiple curtain panels and gather on the rod.

https://www.kootutmurut.com/2011/03/21/building-a-screen-rack/

• socks
    2 years ago

Put the bed back where it was. Bed sticking out just looks wrong. Get a shoji screen or bookcase to define the area.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

A not--too-deep open bookcase with cubbies would provide a bedside "table," a place to drop keys in a bowl, mail in a basket, more books, attractive cubby containers for office items and more! It doesn't have to be too tall either. Everything in a studio should multi-task.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Okay, it was worth a try. you are better off with your original position.

• Delaney Lindell
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Eld6161, I slept on it (literally) and agree. Going to swap out the light fixture, get a headboard, art, hang my sconces and get a smaller “drink” style table for side of bed. My issue with a bookcase, housegal200, is that the space between the bed and start of arch is rather small. I will make these smaller improvements and report back! Thanks to all for the suggestions and if you have any other input please do keep it coming! It is much appreciated. This has been knocking around in my brain for far too long. :)

• einportlandor
    2 years ago

If you live alone, consider using only one bedside table. It works for me.

• ker9
    2 years ago

You might be able to use 3M command hooks on the ceiling to hang a grommet curtain or even light weight rod and curtain for something not permanent and not expensive.

• doods
    2 years ago

Hope you show us pictures of what you end up doing, and your little one is really cute!

• Olychick
    2 years ago

maybe this has been suggested, but if you want the look of a headboard but don’t wanr to lose the floorspace, look at ideas for creating the illusion of one by creating something on the wall with paint or fabric and some light duty trim that will be easy to remove when you leave. They even make headboard decals!

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 years ago

I love Decoenthousiaste's suggestions but don't know if that's possible for your space. However, turning the bed around, buying a headboard and night tables is a definate improvement. Ikea has nice night stands only 13 inches wide. I would suggest you get a ceiling light that provides better lighting than the yellow cast of the one there now. Either a nice white pendant or a flush light.

This one below from Ikea (price in CAD):

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

Make some alcove using just drapes on ceiling rod.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Honestly, adding drapes is good in theory, but not in such a small space.

Who wants to dance around drapes on a daily basis?

Delaney, all your friends know you live in a studio apartment.

• Delaney Lindell
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Agree Eld6161 - I am going to add pic updates but will do art, bedding, lighting before I consider anything else!

• housegal200
    2 years ago

@Delaney Lindell I just noticed you asked where to put bookcase. Yes, where light is now. Even a small, low bookcase would define that space a bit and give you nightstand utility, a place to drop mail, keys, etc. sort of a pony wall effect. Do a search for "shallow depth bookcases."

This shallow bookcase from Wayfair is 9.4" deep

This taller one is 8.6" deep, also from Wayfair:

• Jilly
    2 years ago

A soft area rug would not only be cozy, but help define the area, too.

Great apt, I really like your style.

• Tara
    2 years ago

Check out apartmenttherapy.com for some great real life studio apartments, and what their people have done.

• PRO
    2 years ago

More ideas

Casa di Marco & Roberta · More Info

• Annegriet
    2 years ago

I'm in the minority here I'm sure but I don't like the idea of the curtain. I like a headboard or some shelves/artwork on the walls. I like the continuity of the same color throughout a smaller apartment.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Given that there is a large stand fan, I would also wonder about heat being trapped by draperies. Although I love the look of the space that Celery posted with those heavy draperies. It would be such a cozy place to sleep.

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

In a studio that small I might go with shelving or something if I could anchor it good enough. Something that could be used for storage. I'd go with shelving and then use baskets and decorative cardboard hat type boxes to put stuff in. It would read like art and not have visual clutter.

• hbeing
    last year

tension room divider rod

• arcy_gw
    last year

Without changing the bed you could still set it up like a day bed. I think that is how I would show it. No curtain needed, no head board needed...keep the bed where it sits in the first pic push it up against the wall centered. The book case on the left can be used as a 'table' find something for the right that gives you storage and a place for a lamp. A trip to BIG LOTS will get you some large cheap pillows you could cover with fun fabric for day....

• Denise Marchand
    last year

Looks like a NYC apartment!

Here's a floor plan to consider.

A four poster bed will create an invisible wall around the bed without blocking it off. The position of the bed should have the headboard on the back 115" wall. This way you can embellish luxurious bedding and good sized nightstands.

With your sofa in the middle of the room, it makes the room even smaller. The furniture layout shown opens everything up with good wall space for art. That one window should be a fantastic window treatment, as it is the first thing you see when entering the room and it will balance the bed area.

Position the dresser to the side of the sofa facing the bed. Suspend art or a large mirror facing the bed as it will also serve as an entrance "foyer".

What's through the French doors? I'm assuming it's the eating area and kitchen. Very cute studio.

• PRO
    last year

Sliding panel

Boneca Apartment by Brad Swartz A · More Info

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!