SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Jeopardy Fans.....

Jasdip
2 years ago

Apparently we have a Canadian contender on the show. How is she doing?

Comments (139)

• User
    last year

Mattea, also got a shout out in the House of Commons yesterday. 🙂

• dedtired
    last year

Bpath, that really does sound like fun. i loved singing in my high school choir. Has everyone seen tonights Jeopardy? Are we allowed to talk about it now?

• Related Discussions

'Watson' on Jeopardy

Q

Comments (20)
    They may have slotted commercials differently here. It did end early, but only 5 or so minutes early. When Alex explained that we would see Watson's top three choices at the bottom of the screen, I thought that it would ruin the show, but it actually made it more interesting. It really illustrated the threshold decision making.
    ...See More

I missed Jeopardy tonight!

Q

Comments (6)
    We are big Jeopardy! fans too, as are my parents. A friend of mine won one game and we attended a taping where another friend's mom played. In last night's game there was the cute young lady you mentioned and a woman who taught French was the third contestant As gazania said, the tutor who won last night, a big tall guy, beat the others by a mile. I really look forward to seeing him play again on Monday, because he had broad knowledge of many subjects, was fast on the buzzer, yet didn't seem to take himself too seriously. Ryan Chaffee is his name, and I'll put a link below to this week's contestants' page on the show site: Here is a link that might be useful: this week's players
    ...See More

Jeopardy (the TV show)

Q

Comments (48)
    Skipping around is ok, it's part of the strategy for many players. However, sometimes a player will go for the highest amount (bottom of the board) before any of the above questions have been answered. That seems risky; it's good to get a sense of the topic before plunging into it. But, the payoff can be big if the contestant knows the answer. What tickles me about Jeopardy is when the Final Jeopardy question knocks out the presumed winner and one of the others wins. It's always fun to see their reaction. With Jeopardy, you never know!
    ...See More

For Jeopardy fans

Q

Comments (4)
    dedtired - I hope you don't mind but I googled the story and it is, as you say, a cool story. Here is a link to it. (hope this isn't OT as well) https://globalnews.ca/news/6451187/jeopardy-contestants-get-married/
    ...See More
  • User
    last year
    last modified: last year

dedtired, I don’t think it has aired yet on the local stations in the west. Locally, it airs at 8:30 MST where I am and I’m not sure about BC.

I pick it up from satellite earlier in the day. Not sure about the others.

• User
    last year

Yesterday, the Final Jeopardy! was: A Union soldiers' song said General McClellan, who let a Confederate army escape after this battle, "was too slow to beat 'em"

She got it! 😀

(Well I was impressed)

• foodonastump
    last year

I dont temember the answer but i remember ”because it rhymes”

• User
    last year

FOAS, it was the Battle of Antietam, that I had never heard of and I was sure she must have spelled it wrong. Nope

• patriciae_gw
    last year

Antietam was a loss for Lee, close to a Pyrrhic victory for the North. and perhaps the deadliest battle in our history.

This woman wins well.

• bpath
    last year

Antietam is known in the South as Sharpsburg. Btw, my Canadian husband got this one. His BIL taught American history in Canadian high school. We get practically no Canadian history.

• graywings123
    last year

Do they routinely teach US history in Canada??????

• dedtired
    last year

I was barely aware Canada existed until I was an adult. Last night’s final Jeopardy answer was so easy. I was shocked that the challenger didnt get it. I figured Mattea’s run was over, and so did she.

• Alisande
    last year

I didn't get last night's answer. Heard of the movie, of course, but never saw it.

However, maybe this will make up for it: Last week I made a ham radio contact with someone who turned out to be Ken Jennings' dad! I thought that was pretty cool.

• User
    last year

Last nights Final Jeopardy! was : A black & white newsreel in this film begins: "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure dome decree":

I wasn’t surprised that Mattea got it, I was surprised the other lady didn’t get it as she was a very good player. I felt kind of bad that she lost the game after playing so well.

Good news is that Mattea is well over 500,000USD , and pays no income tax on it, to boot🙂

• bpath
    last year

DH and I were wondering if there is a tax to be paid, and to whom?

• User
    last year

I think 30% of the prize is held back by the IRS on gameshow winnings. Mattea can apply for a partial or possible full refund of that, though.

• bpath
    last year

Won't she have to pay tax at home?

• User
    last year

I don’t think so. We’re not taxed on lottery winnings or contest prizes as a general rule. I’m not sure about money that has been won from out of country.

• bpath
    last year

Wow! What about on the income from the winnings? Assuming she doesn't cash out and stuff the mattress with it.

• User
    last year

That’s a different ball-game then.

I’ve read that she plans to pay off her student loan and then purchase a home. And best of all, travel.

• bpath
    last year

That won't go far in today's Toronto market! My BIL just bought a house near the Kawarthas and it was a crazy price for what it is. I

• User
    last year

It will go a long way for a 23 year old, where ever she buys. It is definitely a good start. She talked very lovingly about Cape Breton.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

I'm not certain (because this is not the area of taxation I specialized in) but I think the payments will be subject to 30% withholding as the ultimate tax levy unless the US-Canada tax treaty has a different rate. That's the normal taxation on such income paid to what US tax law refers to as "non-resident aliens". I suspect it's also subject to California individual tax at a rate that will approach 10%. Any tax treaty provision that affects a federal levy has no bearing on state tax.

• User
    last year

Yowza! Another exciting game.

Mayim is back on Monday.

• bpath
    last year

My nails might not recover!

• dedtired
    last year

Yowza

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    last year

omg by $1.00

• bpath
    last year

It’s the little things, like where you come from.

• User
    last year

bpath, it’s like when the the ”Terre de nos Aieux” FJ national anthem came up.

Some days chicken, some days feathers. 🙂

• bpath
    last year

Exactly, roxsol. Funny, I got that one, and my hoser DH did not. Today, I got half of it, argued with DH who has even been there many times.

• User
    last year

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2030814275545/

Mattea’s interview with Ian Hanomansing about her plans for the future. She’s been accepted to law school.

All the best to her!

• Alisande
    last year

I think Ken is right: Lots of babies will be named Mattea in the coming year(s). It's a nice name.

• dedtired
    last year

Yes, i like her name, too. I thought the other woman was going to pass out when she realized she had won. That was a tough question. She was lucky to be a local and to make a smart wager

• bpath
    last year

I am kind of itchy after that interview. Did she realize her unmade bed with a shopping bag were in camera range?

• User
    last year

Unmade bed and shopping bag in camera range.

What are two things Mattea Roach does not give two hoots about during an interview?

😀

• bpath
    last year

She really is her own person, which is what we like about her. But as a mother, I think about these things! When I go to visit one of my sons, his bedroom door is always closed; the other lives in a studio so he makes the bed lol.

• User
    last year

I started my Canuckle with ”roach” today.

It’s a pretty darn Canadian word, in some ways.☮️😀

• User
    last year

Oh my, I’ve just thought out my last comment😳

I do not mean this kind of roach🪳 Nope, nope nope.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

Even a two day in a row winning streak is an accomplishment few contestants attain so what she's been able to do is all the more exceptional.

My wife has asked me to watch Mattea with her a few times. I hesitate to make this next comment after the earlier silly and unnecessary kerfuffle over my reaction to her appearance but I don't find her personality and mannerisms to be particularly engaging. I don't watch often but it does seem that contestants who are successful are often a bit "different", which of course is fine. They're certainly different insofar as their ability to succeed in these contests is concerned so appearing onscreen to have "different" personalities or mannerisms of one or more kinds is perhaps to be expected.

Something I'll point out that I've caught on to that maybe many others have too but for those who haven't, the "answers" on the Jeopardy board that contestants need to come up with the question the answer answers, often have very deliberate and obvious clues or hints in them such that when combined with the category, a trail is given that leads to the right response. In that regard, the Jeopardy game is not a true test of knowledge of subjects or trivia because it's not unusual to be able to derive an answer by quickly solving the clue. Contestants seem to be quite aware of this.

• Alisande
    last year

The game has evolved over the decades. I think Final Jeopardy used to be a little easier as it could be counted on to contain that clue Elmer's talking about. The clues weren't as prevalent in the rest of the Jeopardy questions, and those tended to be more difficult than they are today. Also, the old shows didn't have the silly sorts of categories they stick in occasionally today.

Elmer, what did your wife think of Mattea's personality and mannerisms?

A friend of mine said she was starting to flap her hands like Mattea, and I said, "Oh, no--try to stop yourself!" LOL But on the whole I enjoyed Mattea very much and look forward to seeing her again in a Tournament of Champions.

• User
    last year

Alisande, I find Jeopardy! very entertaining. It beats the heck out of a lot of nonsense that seems so prevalent on TV now. 😳 (Amber Heard, Johnny Depp comes to mind ) It is a fun half hour watch. Of course it all comes down to who has the timing for ringing in, a good retention of trivia, some smarts and of course picking up on the quite often not so subtle hints or maybe very subtle hints (pretty obvious to regular watchers) 🤠 and very much like crossword clues. The more you practice, the better you get.

I hope the next contestant is as much fun as Mattea has been. She seems like a lovely young woman.

Definitely looking forward to the Tournament of Champions. Quirks and all. 🙂

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

"Elmer, what did your wife think of Mattea's personality and mannerisms?"

Her views are similar to mine. While respecting her accomplishment, she finds her onscreen conduct and personality to be somewhat annoying too. Since you asked for more info, I'll add that I do too.

She's not a regular Jeopardy watcher and I'm even less so. She likes to watch when she hears about someone doing well as a winner of multiple episodes.

• User
    last year

https://globalnews.ca/news/8817708/jeopardy-champ-mattea-roach-win-streak/

Alisande, I think you will enjoy this article.

“ The all-time Canadian champion said her success on the show was as much about luck as it was trivia prowess.

“There’s so much stuff that I have not done in my life yet, because I’m relatively young,” she said. “I haven’t traveled in a long time. I have money now, I guess. I can go places if I want to.”

She’s also looking forward to thinking about things other than TV and trivia. ”

• Alisande
    last year

I did enjoy it, Roxsol--thanks! I hope she gets some advice on investing some of that money. And I hope she gets a generous merit-based scholarship.

• User
    last year

You’re welcome, Alisande.

I love fun stuff like this.

I wish the best for her, too.

• bpath
    last year

I think so some players really get into the rhythm of the buzzer, and Mattea seemed to do that. Maybe her first trip will be through Atlanta! or maybe not . . .

• HU-408592037
    last year

I cant agree that "Final" is easier. I can remember when I never got final and that morphed into my being able to get it based on the most obvious possibility in a category. That was over twenty years ago. When you can routinely guess the answer based on the category the show has simplified. There are a ton of categories where I am clueless and I have been astonished that this

Canadian girl knows so much about us. Good for her and I am over the moon that it means she has an easier path forward.

Patriciae

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    last year

Ken Jennings announced that he's taking some time off and fans aren't happy.

He snuck in news about his future on the show while congratulating Mattea's run. According to the Jeopardy! legend, Mattea’s last in-season game also marked the end of his latest hosting run. Ken informed viewers that he would be making way for the return of Mayim Bialik.

“I'm handing the keys back to the talented actor-producer-writer-director (!) @missmayim for a few months,” he wrote. “We are lucky to have her! Thanks for watching, and I'll be back before the end of the season.”

• Alisande
    last year

I was disappointed to hear Mayim introduced as "the host of Jeopardy" tonight. It seems to me Ken was always introduced as "hosting Jeopardy." There's a difference.

Does anyone play the Jeopardy quiz game on a smart speaker or other device? When I began playing they used Alex Trebec's voice, which was always nice to hear. But now it's Mayim, sounding especially strident--possibly because I think they speeded it up ever so slightly to make it fit time constraints. That's how it sounds to me anyway.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

We'll never have Alex again. It's heartbreaking. I miss him so much!

• User
    last year

I like both Mayim and Ken as hosts. They both seem to connect really well with the contestants when they give their ”interesting ” little personal stories.

Alex was pretty good but I kind of like the change. My mother adored him. 🙂

Alisande, the only Jeopardy! I do is the half hour daily game show on TV.

• bpath
    last year

I don’t want to presuppose anything with the hosts, but I’m still hoping David Faber makes a return to the podium.