SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen_knee

Floor plan help for narrow gut renovation home.

Jen Knee
2 years ago

Just to start, I’ve had help from an architect and a designer but so far I still feel like maybe there’s a better option/idea out there, hopefully someone can help give some different ideas or input.

The space: Home is frame so all windows can be adjusted. The only set in stone factor is the current footprint of the property (44 ft length x 20 ft 9in width). It’s currently a two unit apartment that we are trying to convert into a single family home- no basement and unfortunately can’t do additions.

We were told everything was going to need to be redone- if it weren’t for the jump in property taxes we would’ve gone with the original plan of tear down and rebuild. I was also told if we kept the main stairs in the front as is it would save us space and money so I’d like to keep them there as is if possible.

Needs: I need functionality for our family of 6. We have 3 full time kids with one part timer on weekends (Ages 10,8, 3 and almost 1). We’d like to have the two youngest share a room - largest kids get their own rooms. Our current master bedroom is 13x14 so I’d like to try to stick as close as possible to that size for our king bed and dresser (Dream would be to have a master bathroom with separate walk in shower and tub).

Second floor: Need to fit 3 kid bedrooms and their bath with the master bedroom +master bathroom and closet. Laundry space as well. Mechanicals can go into attic space so that can help a bit.

First floor: we need kitchen/dining room/living room/ small office room and powder room.
*dream: walk in pantry, large kitchen island with room for 4 and a living room large enough to accommodate a large L shaped sofa. A mud room or drop off zone would be great too.

A formal sitting area isn’t really needed but we can’t seem to figure out how else to best use the space. The current floor plan idea has me longing for a wider living room space and a walk-in pantry.
I’d prefer the kitchen area to be at rear of house towards backyard since our current kitchen is a gathering area whenever we have guests. Other than that I’m open to suggestions.

**stairwell highlighted in yellow. If the cost to move these would ultimately give a better floor plan we are willing to move it. If it’s a 20k project with no real space gained I’d rather save the money of updating to current code.
Is this the best that can be done? Is there a master Tetris champ that can help put this puzzle together?
Thanks for any and all input!

Comments (23)