SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammy_tom19

2 story home renovation floor plans! All suggestions welcomed

Sophia M.
4 years ago

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to look at my floor plans. I truly appreciate all the input I can get.

These floor plans are for my 2-story home that is from the 1960’s and we want to update it to 2019. We have gone back and forth with these drawings and it still does not seem right. The home is originally a 6-bedroom home and will now be a 4-bedroom home. We are installing an approximate 30-foot steel beam to open the main floor.

Concerns with the main floor:

1. I would like a proper area for the dining room. A four-person table does not feel right and isn’t ideal for family events.

2. We are open to changing the 1 window beside the bistro table area to make it counter height which would allow for the kitchen to become L shaped.

Notes about the main floor:

1. As we are installing the beam, there will be a natural dip from the beam as it was recommended that the island not pass that dip. It creates a natural division for the room.

2. We do not want to change all the windows as the renovation is already MUCH more than we thought it would be.

3. It has been suggested to us that we also make the entire back wall all kitchen cabinets and then its very big kitchen.

4. We would like to keep the fireplace in its spot

Concerns with the top floor:

1. I really wanted a laundry room upstairs however; I hang most of my clothes to dry and the mess would be an eye sore in the closet area. I also worry about the noise it creates if I am doing laundry before bed.

2. Water can only be brought to the washroom side of the house as per discussions with the contractor. We know that it can technically be brought anywhere, but it would be too expensive to bring it around the new beam.

3. Hallway is narrow so we want to try and cut it as much as possible hence where the master bedroom door is.

Notes about the top floor:

1. A vanity area to get ready in is non-negotiable.

4. The floor plan does not show the following to the left of the staircase there is:

· The old master bedroom which has a walk-in closet, and hallway linen closet

· 1 mid-sized room

· 1 full bathroom with shower, bathtub, toilet and sink

These are not shown as they will only get a light renovation – new paint, flooring, nothing structural

Comments (8)