SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_818077394

Old Kitchen needs gutting - floor plan help

3 years ago

We bought an older home with a kitchen that is falling apart and needs a total remodel. Its dark, with no second story above the kitchen so low ceilings could be raised. Its g-shaped with placement of the door hitting anyone sitting on the stools on the little peninsula. The dining room next to it is a converted porch so its floor is a step down, and the entrance looks like a door frame, even the original window hole is in the wall. Lots of light in that room.

- I would like to raise ceiling and expose beams and maybe add skylights

- Considering changing the exterior wall to have some windows and no upper wall cabinets OR change floor plan entirely by having a long island in the middle of kitchen and no cabinets at all on the exterior wall.. because there isn't room for an island if i had 2 walls of cabinets. Then I could make doorway larger like french doors. I'd love to have my kids hang out while i cook. Another idea is to have some kind of peninsula by the dining room, but seems less useful because i couldn't prep food on it. Having a peninsula by the fireplace seems best choice but it would mean we'd have to walk around it all the time to get to the sink. Not sure what else I can do.

Moving the exterior door would require work on the outside in terms of messing up the siding of the house. I need to be careful with just moving the single door, expanding it might not be so bad.

For some embarrassing photos of the kitchen:

Dining room on left, its a step down. Radiator can be removed.

photo below... the other side of kitchen, that is the back of the brick fireplace. we currently are unable to use most of our lower cabinets (why you see pantry items stuffed in baskets and on the fridge).

another angle

current floor plan measurements

we are trying to keep cabinet cost down so we can afford the wall, door, floor and ceiling work. Thinking of going with semihandmade & ikea or cliqstudios.

Thank you!

Comments (9)