SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Leg of Lamb — bone still in. cooking approaches consult, please?

petalique
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have a leg of lamb with the bone in it weighs approximately 5 1/2 pounds. I need to cook a roast it and I haven’t roasted lamb for a while and I don’t think I’ve ever roasted it with the bone in. So I need to think about my options and thought I would consult the cooks here. (I didn’t buy it, DH bought it and he didn’t call to converse with me before he just picked up this leg of lamb with the BONE IN.)

So looks like my options are:

1. Roast it with the bone in, as is, and maybe dig some garlic into it and put rosemary salt and pepper on it and put it in a? Temperature? oven for X minutes per pound. I like it medium rare.

OR,

1. “Butterfly“ it by removing the bone. Somebody has a YouTube instruction video. So I guess that looks pretty simple although may be a little bit messy if you want to scrape the meat and tendon from the bone. And I would probably save the bone to make some kind of broth with.

Then I can cook this boneless roast flat, or I can roll it up and tie it or put pins through it to hold the rolled roast in place.

I should cook it tonight but it’s late for tomorrow but I have other things to do tomorrow. I guess I can cook it on Friday if the world still gonna be intact enough for me to use the oven.

Any suggestions? It seems to me that trying to carve a roasted lamb with the bone in is not all that much fun. It doesn’t slice nicely because you must keep dodging the bone or only getting a few inches of meat in a slice because the bone is right in the way. And after a few decent slices you’re left with a meaty bone to hack away at until the thing is finished, or you quit, or you make a stew out of that gnarly, senewy bone with half the roast left stuck to it.

That doesn’t seem like a fun way to enjoy a $50 roast. (I’m trying to trade GH to call me when it’s anything controversial or over $30. The exception being crustaceans and shellfish. He forgets to pay attention and gets busy. But I am appreciative that he does the shopping errands & that’s great.)

Excuse typos. Thanks.

Comments (57)