SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_kolar

Convert double hinged door to a smaller single pocket door?

Kristin Kolar
2 years ago

Hello!

My husband and I have a master bathroom that currently has hinged double doors that open into the bathroom. Since neither of us has, nor will ever feel the need to dramatically swing open both doors at the same time, one door is essentially useless. The large doorway and the door swing, also take up valuable space —that we’d like to utilize. My thought would be to convert the current double doorway into a single pocket door and I’m hoping to fix maybe one or two other annoyances (if able):
Annoyance #1) Bathroom light switch and jacuzzi tub timer on outside of bathroom (and right next to the bedroom light switches). If possible I’d like to move these inside the bathroom.
Annoyance #2) The current spot for our tv. The center of the foot of our bed is about where the current right door is. The TV is also too high…so it would be preferable to relocate it to be lower and more centered.

In planning the installation of a pocket door, what would you do? Would you have the door recess into the left or right side? Make this an even bigger job and make the door recess even further to the right (basically behind where the dresser is in order to utilize new drywall space where the left door is currently)?

Comments (19)