SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_524958254

Caulking cracked within days or weeks of application

CeeWhy
2 years ago

All of the caulking in our newly built home is already cracking/separating. Trim, baseboards, cabinets, countertops, everywhere. All of these things were done by different tradesmen, so it's not as simple as one person's application error.
One of the guys doing our finish work said he hasn't been able to get the paintable caulk he usually uses (latex?) due to supply chain issues. The tube of caulk he used says it's "acrylic latex with silicone". I don't know what was used on and around the cabinets, but about a week or so after installation when the cabinet installer came to make an adjustment to one of the doors, the caulk at the top of the cabinets had already cracked. He reapplied caulk over the cracked areas, but those and even more areas have already cracked again. The caulk around the countertops and backsplash are silicone, and there are places it has separated from the wall, etc.
We keep our home around 70 degrees. We have an HRV but our HVAC guy turned it off for several weeks to see if that would help (it didn't). I know houses settle, but would that cause the caulk to crack within days/weeks? And happen everywhere in the house, with every different kind of caulk that was used? Could it be a humidity issue? I'm worried all of the caulking will have to be redone by spring at this rate.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals