SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sam_francis24

Range hood ductwork questions

Sam Francis
2 years ago

I’m a homeowner installing a ModernAire island range hood liner with an inline 8” Fantech blower and silencer in the attic. I’m using 8” rigid ductwork and I have a few questions about how to do it properly. I’ve tried asking someone at my local HVAC supply store but they weren’t much help :/

1) My attic is not climate controlled. Should I wrap the ductwork with fiberglass insulation? Or, since the blower is not wrapped, is it moot? I assume it will help reduce noise if nothing else.

2) The roof cap I bought has a built-in backdraft damper. Is it still recommended to install a damper at the ceiling level to keep cold air from coming down from the attic? Might that increase noise or reduce airflow when the blower is running?

3) Should I seal the ductwork with mastic, foil tape, or both? Any mastic recommendations?

4) Should I screw duct joints together or just rely on tape to hold them in place? I’ve heard screws can reduce airflow but i don’t know if it’s major concern.

5) Is there a recommended vibration reduction strategy when mounting the blower to the trusses? I have some Fantech mounting clamps but they aren’t meant to be used with a blower this size or larger. So I have to use the side brackets. I found some rubber and spring isolators on Amazon. I’ve also seen people use rubber tie downs but that feels a little sketchy to me.

Any help is appreciated!

Comments (7)