SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davitma

Please help with finishing touches on my Southern home bedroom remodel

davitma
2 years ago

Hello everyone. I received so much great advice from some wonderful Houzzer’s last fall when I was trying to finish my living room in 6 weeks for my daughters wedding rehearsal dinner. We’ve been remodeling our “new” 1990’s Florida home since the pandemic kicked off and the current project is our Master bedroom. I keep getting stuck with decision fatigue.

We finished painting the whole room except for the plantation shutters which we will be working on in the coming weeks. They will be the same color as the walls and trim (Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee). We refaced the fireplace with Austin Stone and added an old reclaimed chestnut beam for the mantle. Like in the rest of the house, the style I like is relaxed, southern traditional with a little bit of coastal and west indies. The furniture I ordered last spring and summer finally arrived last week. The bed, dresser, nightstands, chair set and rug are new and the bench is second hand from my sister. The bedding is new minus the black and blue accent pillows, they are about 15 years old and from my old setup. I am using them as place holders for now.

Design challenges/questions include:

1- my sweet big yellow lab Benny’s cage - he is a crate trained dog and loves to hang out and sleep in there. My husband likes to have him next to him too😀 I’m trying to come up with ways to make it look ok in that corner since it’s a fact of our life.

2- Should I keep the Kincaid French Country looking armoire and paint it? Or is it too off in style? I purchased it 20 years ago, it is solid and we can store clothing or linens in it. What would I put there if I donated the armoire?

3- I like the room, but it seems very plain and a little cold looking to me right now. I am afraid when we paint the shutters it will be even more plain. I’m also unsure of how to style the dresser and mantle. Would a mirror or artwork be better over the dresser. Should I put a floor lamp by the chair or a lamp on the dresser?

Below are a couple of “before pictures” from the real estate listing and then some of the current state of the room. Any input or ideas would be much appreciated.

Comment (1)