SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

Please help my tiny hideous master bedroom!!

purrus
9 years ago

... on a budget. We just finished a major kitchen renovation (some of you might remember my long thread on picking a paint color for the kitchen and my settling on Amazing Gray--I really MUST do an update for that post because I've painted most of my main floor that color now and I'm in love with it!!)

Furniture must stay and I love the color so I don't want to paint it.

Window treatments should stay--they are pretty (to me), and they are blackout curtains so they serve a functional purpose to me because I have severe migraines.

Bedding should stay--this is an old (ten years old) duvet cover from Crate and Barrel that is very soft and I actually love the design on it.

So mainly, I am talking about wall color and a paint color for that chest at the foot of the bed. I see a punchy, awesome accent color for it, but I'm not sure what.

Thoughts?

Comments (135)

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

To be clear, I picked up that long credenza for almost nothing on craigslist or a yard sale or SA... can't even remember now. It was cheap, like ten bucks. So getting rid of it is really and truly not the end of the world, but I did hunt long and hard for something that was 70 inches (the length of my bed) that would hold my two king sized pillows AND help hold the sheets on the end of the bed. I'm tall, and frequently kick the sheets off :) So it was functional as well. The main reason it will not fit in the new format is that there won't be clearance between the tall chest and the credenza for my husband who sleeps closest to the wall, whether the credenza is on the wall with the lights (where it is in the new layout) or where it used to be. It just won't fit. So, I could just let it go. I just won't have anywhere for my pillows and I'll be untucking my sheets every night, so back to where I used to be :)

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I could also ditch my headboard and just make one, like you see people do with upholstered plywood. That way it would fit under the window and I could move the bed over. I admit I'm not fully comfortable blocking too much of the window. I value light. I'm willing to compromise.

• Related Discussions

Help with my Master Bedroom Please

Q

Comments (6)
    Lovely furniture! I am assuming the walls are just painted, no paper or other decorative technique on them. While you don't really need anything there, you seem to feel it is calling for something. I would think about finding a pair of paintings or photo portraits that could be hung in oval frames. I think it would compliment the oval design on the headboard, and have the same period feel as the furniture.
    ...See More

is pink color OK for the master bedroom pink color for master bedroom

Q

Comments (25)
    Yes, I think pink is a beautiful color for a master bedroom! The trick is picking the right pink and then balancing it with other elements that are not overly feminine. I love pink and brown together, or black. When choosing a grownup ink go to the brown section in your color deck. As you move up to the lighter colors you will see what I refer to as dirty pinks. These are softer, more pleasing pinks that men can love.
    ...See More

please help me style my new construction master bedroom!

Q

Comments (5)
    These are some pieces I had saved as inspiration, I think this is the look I am going for like a distressed white paint with a natural wood top. I was thinking a wide chest of drawers On the bigger wall leading to the walk-in closet, with the TV on top of that. I hate exposed TVs but idk what other choice I have. (TV is for my spouse). Then in the smaller wall leading to the walk in, I was debating a taller chest of drawers, or perhaps the vanity angled in the corner and a lingerie chest type set of drawers next to it for my make up? I currently am using an IKEA Alex drawer set for my make up and perfume and it’s very functional but I want to replace it with something that matches better. Or, I was thinking of angling the vanity and one of the back corners? Not sure if that would work though. I was picturing nightstands below the window but still on the hunt for these as I want them to look a little different than the rest of the furniture, still matching but not identical. Perhaps a white weathered wood with a mirrored top?
    ...See More

add a master bath if it means the third bedroom becomes tiny?

Q

Comments (9)
    Previous owners enlarged the bathroom by taking the space from a bedroom. Best decision ever. In our previous home, my daughter had a huge bedroom but she adapted to the room easily enough, which is approximately the size yours will be, (but without a closet). Day bed, armoire, small dresser and chair and some decorative boxes under bed for added storage. Mind you she was happy to move to her brother’s larger room when he moved out and we are now using as a guest room. When we sell, owners can see it’s a workable room, so I have no worries there.
    ...See More
  • katrina_ellen
    7 years ago

I wouldn't put too many big pieces of furniture in a small room. I have a full size bed and a dresser in my tiny bedroom and a small bench, you have a good chest of drawers for your space-going vertical for storage. Can your chest fit on the wall facing your bed? I would hate to block the curtains behind the chest. As for the pillows - can they go in the closet? Or maybe a large basket? Depending on your furniture arrangement maybe a longer narrow bench. I found the less furniture I had in the space the more I liked it. Thanks for posting those shades - will have to check them out.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Maybe that's a good point. I do have a nice basket, a longaberger one my mom gave me. It's not big, but it would do the trick if the pillows were stacked in there vertically. I'm sure I could stash it in there somewhere.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Then I could keep the chest where it was originally and not block the window.

• katrina_ellen
    7 years ago

I do think the bed looks better on the wall you have it on now, facing the bathroom.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think so, too. The whole room looks much bigger. I can't believe I had it the other way for seven years! My husband just came home and he was super happy with the change!

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You guys!

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Better? I guess I am saying this is it for furniture? What do you all think? Sam Purr is clearly happy and that is all that really matters, I mean---it is his house, after all.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

Kitty likes it! Will your turquoise piece fit under the window now, or too crowded?

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't think so. I think it's going to have to be goodbye. I've got that basket to hold the pillows for now and what i really want is for them to not just be thrown on the floor. (It seems like such a small thing, but my H is a major slob and it drives me crazy.)

I am amazed by your eye for layout, Olychick! Thank you so much for lending your talents to my humble abode. I am not a total slouch at envisioning such possibilities myself, but allowed myself to live in a total uninspired space for seven years assuming there were no other possibilities. Thank you again! You really unstuck me :)

Now, to come up with paint and curtains. I just don't know gray or white. Now that I'm not going to have the big turquoise piece it is somewhat simpler--the palette will basically be white unless I add gray! If I have white walls then changing the color scheme will be as simple as buying new linens now and then. (Except for the lamp, I don't really have any other color.)

• katrina_ellen
    7 years ago

Looking good so far!

• practigal
    7 years ago

You need to paint the furniture the blue color that you're planning and then try it next to the gray in another room that you have already painted gray (with the lighting as close as you can get it).

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

For the throwing off blankets issue, you could get a foot board. That is one style of bed. Maybe you could find something on Craigslist or at a used furniture store. We've found some great bed frames second hand, but not king sized, just double and twin, so maybe king is rare, not sure. I do know that IKEA has a lot of small furniture/awkward room solution types of products, if there's an IKEA around you might want to visit for some ideas/products. This bed below (or something like it) would solve both your storage and blanket issues.

As far as the pillows go, can you put the storage bench either on one side of the bed or under the window on that other wall? I'm a big "in bed reader" so I too have the problem of a lot of extra pillows around in the bedroom. I often put them in a closet, but with a bedroom as small as yours I imagine you need all that space for clothes. I keep a lot of my clothes, particularly the off season ones, in my guest bedroom and basement, but maybe you don't have that luxury. My SO actually had to keep most of his clothes in the guest bedroom, which I renamed his "man cave" and decorated to his taste, but we didn't have kids that needed that extra room. He got up way earlier than me for work so it actually worked out well for him to be able to get up and get dressed and ready in that other room, which was next to the bathroom.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

yeah, we need a footboard. We've just never bought a real bed. I got that headboard at an estate sale along with the matching dresser, which I LOVE. I am less in love with the headboard but it was cheap.

The only pillows we have are the king sized ones that go on the bed. I don't like throw pillows due to the clutter. ( I don't mind how they look but realistically they would so rarely get put on the bed for looks that it's pointless for us to have them... )

My H also stores his clothes in the guest room.

I'll take a look at ikea beds this week when I go. We are remodeling our tiny master bath next week, and I need to buy stuff anyway. :) But I'll have to order and have them ship any bed I may buy--no way will I be able to haul something like that in my little ford focus!

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Practigal,

I just don't think that blue chest is going to fit anymore now that I have moved the bed .For a number of reasons, it just isn't going to fit anymore, and I love the new placement of the bed! So I think it is going to be craigslist for the bed. It's not the end of the world. I bought it for an extremely cheap price, and it was used (obviously).

• katrina_ellen
    7 years ago

Footboards take up more space, I have one but I don't want to buy another bed, I like the one I have. I like simple solutions and unless you just want the extra storage space, buying another bed just for the storage of pillows is overkill to me. I store extra blankets in the linen closet in the hall. I don't know the size of your home but when I moved into my house I had to totally re-think the space since it was much smaller than what I had before. Theres always improvements in how you use the storage space you do have, it just takes looking at it with fresh eyes and planning.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh, I would like it to help keep my sheets tucked in, and make the room look more finished in general. Right now you can see the box spring.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

IKEA charge an arm and a leg to have stuff shipped. At least they did last time I checked. There are other online furniture venues that sell stuff you have to put together. I have used them when desperate, but the "putting together" part sure is a pain. I just use plastic storage containers under my bed, until I find the bed frame of my dreams. As it is, carpenter SO made the one I posted in the photo into a queen frame and that works well, the frame is up off the ground high enough for storage bins underneath. You have to take them out and vacuum often though. With my hot flashes I am constantly throwing off and reclaiming the bedding, maybe I should revisit a storage bench at the end of the bed. But knowing me it would have to have soft sides and bumpers, I stub my toe and bump my knees even on the short narrow footboard I did have. Had to wrap the legs in towels!

• patty_cakes42
    7 years ago

Purrrrrrrr(cute!), I really like the new placement of the bed, but the drapes really bother me....are they necessary? I think you mentioned something about black outs, so obviously you need it dark. I have plantation shutters in my MB, and they're as good as blackout drapes, but IMO, look much better, especially on smallish windows. Mine were custom, but they can be purchased thru Home Depot/Lowe's for much less, and in the exact size you would need. They're always having sales too, which includes the installation. I also think they would add a bit of architectural interest to the room also. Just food for thought....

• Olychick
    7 years ago

Purrus, I'm so glad this worked for you! Kudos to you for being willing to try something you were probably convinced wouldn't work! I like the tall chest where it ended up, too. Since you're patching the wall, I assume it's the wall light that's come down, so it must be a "go" on this arrangement. Happy for you!

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes Olychick, I'm going to keep this layout! We both really like it. It makes the room feel much larger for some reason, which is really odd since it does cover part of a window. Anyway, it's the solution we are going to go with for now. I am now really stuck on what to do about the windows. Thank you again for the inspiration. I had simply decided that there were no other options regarding layout.

Regarding plantation shutters, I'm not sure it would give me the full blacking out that I need. Do HD/Lowe's do the measuring? These are not perfectly sized windows...

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree the drapes behind the bed are a real problem.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And I cannot wait to rip down those stupid double curtain rods. I HATE them! They protrude way too far into the room. Plus I need to fill the holes for painting anyway. I'm going to go for Amazing Gray to start with since I have leftover anyway, and see how that works.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

FYi, you can get a cover for the boxspring. West elm sells them.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah, but you'd still be able to see the ugly metal bed frame on rollers. Dust cover it is! Anybody got a good recommendation for one of those? I have a 16-inch rise. I looked on overstock, most are 14 or 15 inches (or way more than that, which wouldn't work obviously).

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

CURTAINS ARE DOWN!

• practigal
    7 years ago

Actually, I was thinking of the white dresser being changed but you're going in another direction now...

I am not clear on why you need a new bed frame. If you just need storage you can always buy under bed storage. I have an IKEA bedframe. I really like it but if I had to do it over again I would take the time to get one of their beds that has storage drawers underneath or purchase a bedframe where the bottom of the frame is at least higher than any normal storage box you put underneath ( most under bed storage boxes seem to be 6.5 inches or more high).

I think that their shipping to your house is quite expensive but in my area I can go to the store and request local delivery for much less.

I would also check out craigslist.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

As always it will get much worse before it gets better

• katrina_ellen
    7 years ago

Plantation shutters would look nice on those windows but they are expensive, even through Home Depot, and I think they still let light in through the slats. Wish that wasn't the case or I would think about that for my bedroom.

• Olychick
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Those are beautiful windows! I actually like the color of the room as it is now, esp with your sheets. it looks great with your furniture color. How will the gray look?

I'm always curious about needing complete and total darkness to sleep! I have no window coverings at all on my numerous and huge bedroom windows and sleep just fine. I think you can get used to anything. Maybe a sleep mask for your eyes? When I go someplace that I can't open the draperies in the bedroom (because of privacy or whatever) I feel like I'm suffocating!

Maybe get some window coverings you love that give a reasonable amount of light blocking, then see if you can live with it. Perhaps loving your bedroom will make your sleep more restful. :-)

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I feel ya with the total darkness, SO needs that too. But you could get some lighter colored blackout curtains and they would have less of a presence. OR, get blackout shades. I inherited one in the bedroom at my folks house, and man, that thing is wonderful. It's like a cellular shade. You could get one that fits inside the windows custom made, and it could be in a color that blends with the walls. Expensive yes, but VERY nice to have, and two of them for your room won't break the bank. Do it, you're worth it!

Edited to add that they make thingies for raising up bed frames so stuff can fit underneath. Not sure how well they work, mine was just high to begin with. My old bed frame which I am using temporarily now is too low for those underbed storage things, I really miss them! In a room as small as yours, I would work with the bed somehow to get it up higher so you can use some type of underbed storage.

• eastautumn
    7 years ago

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who takes years for ideas to gel and finally get traction ;) I love your new bed and dresser placement, and as a bonus now you don't have to worry about stripping and re-doing that credenza/chest :-D It's amazing how a simple rearrangement of furniture can make SUCH a difference.

I can totally relate to the pillow storage issue as well.... My in-laws recently downsized and gave us a cedar chest that they want our (now 9-year-old) daughter to inherit. At first I was annoyed that we had to house it for the next decade (at least), but it actually fits perfectly at the foot of our bed and is PERFECT for extra blankets inside and our sham pillows on top overnight. We have pets so I always hated throwing them on the floor. I'd never thought of a basket, but that's a great idea too!

I like your idea to go with an airy white (or off-white) for your walls, unless the Amazing Gray happens to look great with your furniture, which looks to be a cafe-au-lait color. I would look for an off-white that harmonizes with your white trim, dresser/headboard color, hardwood floors, and any other significant elements that will be seen at the same time from other perspectives (such as master bath flooring, hallway walls, etc.).

Looks like you're on the right track. Thanks for keeping us posted!

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, we are remodeling g the master bath with grey and white marble tile floor (medium size hex tile), glossy white subway tile with a modern looking glassy clear-ish gray glass subway tile inset shelf in the shower. Vanity will be IKEA godmorgon glossy white on chrome legs. So modern and all white and gray. The walls will be amazing gray but mostly white subway, at least what you'll be able to see from the bedroom since the master bath is so tiny. THat is all starting on Monday.

Vanity--ours will be a skinnier version of this one

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So, I'm bringing thE bathroom up because someone mentioned coordinating the colors with it. I'm hoping the amazing gray will look good with my bedroom furniture. I think it will. It is really a stunning color/-I have it throughout most of the rest of my house, but ran out of time when I was repaintjng two years ago after our kitchen remodel. It totally transformed our whole first level and I never saw myself as a gray paint person before gardenweb convinced me!! I think it was tbbrix iirc!

• patty_cakes42
    7 years ago

Purr, both HD and Lowe's are always having sales. You just need to get on line and check occasionally. I'm pretty sure they do come out and messure as well as do the install. I also have to mention they keep the room fairly dark when the louvers are turned down rather than up. J C Penney's has a name brand(name escapes me)and are always on sale also. Mine can be adjusted by a screw under the edge of each shutter. I think the screw just tightens up the louvers, keeping them from sliping out of place causing a tiny gap which allows light to come in. Mine are made locally, so this may not apply to whay they have at the big box stores. As an FYI, if you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore in your area you might find what you need there. You only need a couple so.you could get lucky. Messure your windows before you go. ;)

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

Would it be possible to cut the scallop off of your headboard so it doesn't obscure so much of the window.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'd prefer to just get a new headboard if I were going to go that route. I'll keep my eyes open in any event. It's just a tough layout, to be sure. I've now seen tons of pictures of gorgeous rooms that feature a little bit of the bed in front of the window, so I am OK with it for now.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Now I need to solve:

window treatments ( issues involve bed in front of window and need for blackouts due to migraines; privacy but not blackout during daytime due to street view)

ceiling fan situation-- I am fairly certain I can't change the light kit on this fan. It is a Hampton bay fan with remote and there are no pull cords so no place to attach a drum shade

Other ideas?

• lisaam
    7 years ago

Paint looks great, new window treatment should be a similar color to help the room feeling uninterrupted, calm, large.

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

The paint looks wonderful! I think what nosoccermom is suggesting for your windows would be fabulous!!

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Me too!! Where do I find something like that?? I have my blackout paper shades up tonight and they are so great. I just really need one simple pretty layer over them.

• practigal
    7 years ago

The bedroom looks so calm now, a really beautiful sea of tranqillity!

• maggieq
    7 years ago

Look for a fitted sheet to cover the box spring if you don't plan to do a bed skirt. Looks so much better now. Enjoy!

• katrina_ellen
    7 years ago

What a difference with the paint color! That looks great, your rug is a good color for the room too. You could use a fitted bedskirt if you want to store things under the bed. I think the fitted ones look good, although I just have a fitted sheet on my box spring, but I have a footboard and rails on mine so no wheels on the bed to hide.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

omg, I just got so happy with my bedroom and today the demo on the adjoining master bath began and it has all gone to hell so fast! I know it will all be worth it but holy cow, what an ungodly mess. The DUST, the dust!! I'm going to head out and buy five--ten more of those huge thin plastic drop cloths tomorrow first thing just to protect furniture in other rooms from all the dust.

I doubt I could make those shades, but perhaps I will try... my mom is visiting this week and she is an absolute genius with a sewing machine. Maybe I'll see if she is game.:)

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

As far as shades, some don't require sewing (like the second link above) or use iron-on fusible banding.

http://julieblanner.com/diy-relaxed-no-sew-roman-shade/

Or if you don't want to lower them, look for instructions that use a curtain rod and then ribbons.

http://embracemyspace.com/2013/10/07/why-buy-when-you-can-diy-a-simple-roman-shade/

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia