SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pieter_poel

Pressure switch error after a long cycle

Pieter Poel
2 years ago

Hello, first time user here so apologies if I'm doing anything wrong and also for the long post...

We have a 9 year old Lennox high efficiency gas furnace, model EL195UHE070...

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Lennox-El195uh070xe36b-9924310.html

Usually it works very well, but sometimes it will fail to start up with a pressure switch error. The motor will start up, run for a couple of minutes and error out without lighting the burner.

We had our serviced twice late last year by different companies and neither could find anything really wrong with it other than a bit of dirt and some relatively long ducting to the exhaust/intake point (though still within the maximum). Both times it was working when they left.

After a few more months of it working *most* of the time, we figured out that it seems to most commonly fail on the cycle *after* it runs for a long time (eg our thermostat was programmed to increase from 18C overnight to 21C in the morning). We've set the thermostat to a consistent 20C now which seems to help but we still get errors sometimes.

The "time after a long cycle" issue has me thinking that it is some sort of condensation drainage issue. The drain connects to a little u-drain type thing on the side (3rd photo) which has been cleaned and looks all ok. Sometimes if I drain out the u-drain it seems to then work but that seems counterintuitive (why would that help?) and maybe just a coincidence.

The only other thing the technician did that I felt comfortable doing myself was disconnecting and checking several small rubber tubes for blockages. In doing so I discovered something else... Disconnecting and reconnecting the small orange rubber tube going from the gas valve to the burner box (not the main gas feed) seems to successfully reset the system. This is top of 2nd photo and circled in blue in 1st photo.

Finally, sometimes the burner will do it's initial ignition (small orange flame) and then extinguishes itself with a kind of huffing sound instead of lighting up fully (blue flame) for proper heating.

Any ideas on what could be the main issue here? Thanks in advance!!

Comments (4)