SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheloveslayouts

How to proceed after architect error

sheloveslayouts
10 years ago

We have taken a small, 1185 square foot 2 bedroom, 1 bath house down to studs. We enlisted the help of a local architect after Christmas, providing them with a detailed SketchUp drawing of the as-built structure. (My husband measured the building using a laser type tape measure.)
On New Year's Day we were working on removing the chimney and were so pleased that one of the architects came over to re-measure. I was impressed with how quickly he took measurements knowing it took my husband about three hours, but chalked it up to the architect's experience.

Last Friday I had a site visit with the primary architect I've been working with via telephone and email. The objective was to finalize the floor plan (now a 2 bed, 2 bath) and make a couple decisions about windows. I was so thrilled to be done with floor plan tweaking and get on with gathering bids.

As soon as I looked at the floor plan in the space, I saw that the window placement in the kitchen and dining room were all wrong. I helped her remeasure, but a red flag went up when I gave her a dimension of 2 feet 11 3/4 inches and she repeated back 3 feet. And then I measured 3 feet 2 inches and she said, "three feet."

I told my husband about the goof up and he overlayed the architect's revised autocad drawing onto his SketchUp drawing and noticed quite a few differences. On Sunday we went to the house and remeasured together; all measurements were within an inch of my husbands original. Unfortunately, the architect measurements we've been working with - four iterations of the floor plan and countless hours on my part - had an extra 8 inches across 29 foot width of the entire house.

Now, it may not sound like a lot, but we're trying to be as efficient as possible with this little house and those 8 inches have a pretty significant impact on our back to back bathrooms and trying to preserve a load bearing wall. Also, it seems the window placement we worked around for six weeks were so off they had to have been entered based on cell phone pics. The inaccurate placement of windows and doors and the 8 inch discrepancy has put us back to square one.

My husband is working in SketchUp right now and I think we've got it sorted out. We've paid them almost $1000 so far and as their billing cycle for Jan/Feb comes to a close we'll be getting another bill in about two weeks.

We're not sure how to proceed. Should we ask that they not bill us for time spent on the corrections? Should we stop working with them and just do the permit drawings ourselves? My husband is getting pretty good at SketchUp, but he is so busy with his job and traveling I had hoped a pro could save us time and spare my husband.

Sorry for the long post. If you made it this far, thank you so much for your time. Please share your thoughts.

Comments (7)