SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

How "off" were your rooms from the sizes provided by architect?

njbuilding143
8 years ago

So we just did a walkthrough with family of the house now that the second floor is on.. I thought something was "off" while in some of the rooms and decided to pull out the handy measuring tape and I don't know if I should be fuming or if its normal.. So this is what we found.. The architect specified room openings and used measurements to include drywall.. For example he added 4inches for walls even though actual measurements are 3.5 for 2x4 framing on interior walls.. Anyway.. I found that many of the rooms were minimum 3 inches smaller then they were supposed to be.. It appears that they placed the walls in the wrong spot as some rooms gained inches.. So for example we have our master bedroom, master bathroom, and walkin closet run across the back of the house.. The master bedroom was supposed to be 18ft wide but they made it 18'4" which resulted in the master bathroom going from 9'4" to 9'.. We also lost 3inches in the walkin closet due to the offset walls of masterbath.. Another example is the master bedroom from front to back.. Our spare bedrooms were off as well.. One was supposed to be 12x13 but actual measurements are 12x12"9.. Add in dry wall and now it will be 12'7".. I am planning on bringing this up to the builder but at this point they already started on the roof and not sure what can be done.. I feel like we are at the point of either live with it or have them start dismantling and doing it over.. The big problem is that it looks like it even effects the first floor as they enlarged the staircase opening by 5 inches.. It was supposed to be 3'8" but they made it 4'1".. I am assuming this is not normal but never dealt with building a new house.. So please, if this is something that is normal then I will deal with it, but something tells me that these types of things are supposed to be exact, hence why architectural drawings are needed..

Comments (59)