SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pgtr

Blower Motor Causing Hi-Limit Switch Error on Furnace Board?

pgtr
14 years ago

Saturday AM my furnace refused to heat up the house whatsoever. From inside I could hear the burners kicking on and the vent motor but then after a bit they would turn off and no hot air exited from the ducts. Up in the attic I noticed the LED flashing "4" which was the Hi-Limit or Rollover open code.

I took the burners off, cleaned them and removed some stuff remains around the turbulator clips on 2 of the heat exchanger tubes. I generally cleaned things up and as a final step gave a few taps to the capacitor on the main blower motor. Oh and both return filters were quite overdue and changed.

Now it works intermittently. From what I can tell here's what is happening:

1 The vent motor kicks on for 45 seconds or so.

2 The ignitor lights the burner.

3 After 45 seconds I hear a distinct 'click' from the controller board. The main blower motor does NOT start at this time as it should.

4 After about 30 more seconds the hi-limit circuit goes OPEN and the LED starts flashing "4" AND the gas supply to the burners is immediately shut down. (The vent motor continues to run...)

5 sometimes after about 5 minutes or so - the blower motor does kick on (sometimes)... Once it gets blowing the secondary hi-limit switches mounted near the blower must close and the burners ignite and voila! I have plenty of heat again... until next time it needs to cycle anyway.

Right now my best guess is that the delay in the blower motor starting is causing 1 or both of the 2ndary hi-limit switches to open. This in turn sets off the "4" code on the board and shuts down the flames as it should.

As to what is causing the motor to not turn on promptly within 45 seconds of burner ignition - I could not get VAC at the ACBHEAT connector. Eventually if/when the blower motor kicks on 5 or 10 minutes later I could get voltage at the ACBHEAT connector.

I'm thinking the problem is with the board - probably one of the relays soldered to the board.

Thoughts?

This is a Lennox 80MGF3/4-100 circa 1995, configured horizontally set up for LP.

Comments (2)