Have you ever read about a place and then wanted to go visit?
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (32)
Related Discussions
Have you ever been so sick you thought you're going to die?
Comments (56)Well what a great report from you, pitimpinai!! The last I heard you were still very low in energy and still on a ton of medication and little appetite, and listen to you, helping the neighbor till up a lawn! LOL What a nice neighbor you were to plant tomatoes and Dahlias. :-) I am happy to hear that you've also benefited from a shorter work day. Great that you had all that time off saved up. I bet you really needed it to get your energy back. We have gotten pretty much back to what is normal for us here. The weather has been stupendous in the past month! I have never seen the cover crop in the veggie beds so high. We've also gotten all the leaves mowed and collected in bins, ours and three neighbors. [g] We have gotten somewhat cleaned up for the year in the garden, but I keep adding to my list of what I want to get done before the weather turns. Still have a small amount of bulbs to plant and three shrubs to get in the ground, some pots to clean and put away and that will just about do it. I am actually looking forward to a break from the garden. Not that we don't get outside and enjoy it, but it's nice this time of year, to focus on other things. During the gardening season, the garden seems to push out other priorities. [g] I enjoy the winter garden and by the time spring comes, I am just itching to get back to a new growing season. Glad you are able to enjoy gardening again and hope you stay well this winter! :-)...See MorePlaces in books you want to visit/have visited?
Comments (23)In 1965 my husband to be and I stayed two weeks in the Hotel Royal Bretagne at 11bis rue de la Gaîté in Paris. Years after I read in Simone de Beauvoir's memoirs that she'd stayed in this hotel for several months in 1937, commuting from her teaching post in Passy. She describes it as a very decent hotel and it still was in 1965 and also in 2000 when my husband was given a room there purely by chance when he attended a conference. A room then cost much more than the 17 francs we paid and was much improved. On this same visit we looked at the nearby Hotel Orfila in rue d'Assas where the Swedish author August Strindberg experienced the psychosis he described in his book Inferno. Another literary place I've actively sought out was Jane Austen's Chawton in Hampshire, on our way from Mottisfont Abbey. We arrived too late to see the inside but the outside loo was open, to our relief. The greatest disappointment was the long detour we made to Little House in the Big Woods near Pepin, Wisconsin, where we had hoped to show our children Laura Ingalls Wilder's childhood home. It was a shiny new replica with hardly a tree in sight. 29 years later it looks more weathered in internet photos....See MoreWhat is the worst place you have ever lived?
Comments (84)I've only ever lived in 2 cities and one town and there are good and bad about all three. But as for homes: the worst place was here in Calgary. We rented a duplex about a 10 minute drive from where I live now. The area was okay. Behind the house was a back alley and behind that a busy railroad track that we got used to fairly quick. Behind that the main route out of the city to the east. Or into the city from the east. :) Across the highway was a drive in theater. The kids would lay on the top bunk and watch movies on one of the four screens that faced our home. They couldn't hear a thing, but imagined the words. It was a block from the school and I could watch as my oldest walked to school by himself. We had wonderful neighbours with kids my kids ages. It was great to have those close friends as we all had so much in common. But the house itself was a disaster. The roof was in dire need of repair. I called the landlord often to tell him about the leaks. He had his insurance check it out and he collected the money to repair it, but he never had it repaired. His wife insisted it was done. I said, "I'm a stay at home mom of 3 kids. It's a tar and gravel roof. I would know if someone was on the roof fixing it as I never leave the house". In the meantime, we had to disconnect the ceiling light in the boys room as the water leaked through the light on to the floor, where we had a bucket to catch the water when the snow melted or when it rained. It was a fire hazard. My front large burner would collapse with heavy weight so I couldn't use it. The fridge leaked all over the floor so I had towels lay on floor beside it to catch the water. The floor in the bathroom was rotting away and I could see into the basement. The foundation was cracked and when it rained, I would have puddles of water on the floor in the basement. I had video and photos to show them, but nothing was ever done. The area flooded really bad. Because we had an under the living room garage, the basement filled with 4 feet of water which put the hot water heater and furnace under water too. They never sent anyone in to clean the furnace or repair the hot water tank. I didn't give notice when we moved. Instead I left them with a copy of the video tape I made of all the damage and a letter explaining why we moved. And all the garbage we didn't want to keep. I told them to sue us. We could prove what terrible landlords they were. We never heard from them again....See MoreHave you ever (or did you want to)?
Comments (22)Lukki, my DIL's kitchen is the same. She's not a cook but will bake brownies or banana bread once in a while. It makes me crazy to try to cook something for my grandson when I'm babysitting. It's a large, square kitchen with good counter space and storage, but there is no island, so it's like 9 or 10 ft from one side of the kitchen to the other. The work triangle is HUGE, lol. There are 2 lazy susan corner cabinets, kitty corner from each other. The one closest to the stove, where there is a microwave on the counter and a tiny bit of counter space, holds all the baking ingredients and some misc pieces. Kitty corner, on the side where the sink is, where there is one full counter run with nothing but the stand mixer on it, has all the pots and pans. OMG. Totally backwards from the most efficient arrangement. I do all I can to avoid having to cook there. Funny thing is, she'd be totally fine with me suggesting a different arrangement, but I don't want her to feel self conscious or bad that I noticed that....See More- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoKathsgrdn thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
Related Stories

WORKING WITH PROS10 Things Decorators Want You to Know About What They Do
They do more than pick pretty colors. Here's what decorators can do for you — and how you can help them
Full Story
LIFE12 Great Conversation Spaces and What They Want You to Talk About
Comfortable surroundings encourage connecting
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME9 Dream Summer Reading Spots and the Books That Go With Them
Get inspired by these inspiring outdoor spaces to create your own reading spot — and a new reading list
Full Story
BEDROOMSRoom of the Day: Master Suite Offers a Place to Rest and Read
The reconfigured space gives a Kansas couple a bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEGuys Tell Us About Their Favorite Places at Home
For Father’s Day, Houzz men show us the places in their homes where they like to hang out
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESYou’re Going to Want to Stop and Smell These Roses
See top picks from David Austin’s most fragrant roses in colors ranging from ivory to crimson
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROS10 Things Architects Want You to Know About What They Do
Learn about costs, considerations and surprising things architects do — plus the quick route to pinning down their style
Full Story
DENS AND LIBRARIES20 Book Lover’s Spaces That Will Make You Want to Read
Borrow these ideas from spaces designed around a love of books
Full Story


LoneJack Zn 6a, KC