SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maxjackjoe

Concerns with HVAC in New Construction

maxjackjoe
2 years ago

Our HVAC experience has been very concerning:

1. Basement ducts were installed such that basement ceiling would need to be dropped below top of bedroom windows. We complained and ducts were re-routed, but there were excessive twists and turns including a 90 degree turn in the plenum about 10' from the furnace.

2. HVAC contractor did not plan for zones negotiated with building contractor. Zones were rigged after the fact.

3. HVAC vents were not sealed off during construction - building contractor promised it did not matter and ducts would be thoroughly cleaned before firing up HVAC

4. Ducts were never cleaned before firing up HVAC. I lifted a floor register and literally got "shrapnel" in my eye. Photos with our cell phones reveal drywall dust, construction debris, trash, scraps of wood, screws and nails in our ducts

5. HVAC system had a gas leak for 2 months...no one believed us when we said we smelled gas - but soapy water bubbled up immediately. I had to buy a gas meter on Amazon to prove to my contractor before anyone was sent out to fix the problem. THIS IS VERY CONCERNING since my children have been running space heaters in the basement since we can't get comfortable temperatures down there.

6. Filter compartment is completely coated in drywall dust as seen in attached pictures

7. Basement temperatures run 5 - 16 degrees below thermostat setting. We have a bathroom that is 52 degrees with doors shut. If the doors are wide open the room temperature rises to 58. There is not a register within 25' of this bathroom.

8. Today, we just discovered a leaking flue pipe...leaking at a joint in the PVC pipe. Would there be dangerous gases leaking out here as well?

We are looking for advice on how to handle all these problems with our building contractor and the HVAC vendor. We just want things fixed. Our builder acts like our concerns are unwarranted. We've been in the house for nearly 4 months and very few things have been fixed.

Do we need to demand professional cleaning of ducts, furnace, HVAC components - blower motors...etc.? Extended warranty?

What else should we have checked out?

Should we ask for a thorough check of all joints for gas leaks...They found one leak quickly and did not inspect other joints.

We just want to protect our investment...we entrusted a huge portion of our life-savings to this builder, and they don't seem to believe our concerns are valid.

I'm also concerned about the safety in my home...gas leaks, carbon monoxide. I read online that the water leaking out of the flue is "highly acidic"...

Any advice from HVAC experts would be appreciated.

Comments (15)