SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
betttyloo

Placement of HVAC in new construction

betttyloo
8 years ago

I have asked for HVAC advice for our new construction (http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3138525/hvac-advice-for-new-construction) and I have additional questions as I continue to evaluate my options, but I have had a new suggestion from one of the pros that I thought might be of interest to others, so I thought it warranted its own thread....

Ours is a 1 story with a fully finished walkout basement, total 6500 sf, well insulated (ICF basement, foam above and on attic floor). Let's assume that I will need 2 4-ton units for this house (or 4 2-ton units as has been suggested by one pro). One suggestion is this:

Both units will be on the basement level, everything in conditioned space.

Place units on opposite ends of the house, each servicing the basement level and main level directly above it. Using variable stage units, we will keep the fans on at all times. This will allow for the system to circulate the air between the floors, bringing the cooler basement air upstairs in the summer, and eliminating the stale basement smell. I should mention that there is a large open staircase to the basement, and the houseplan is very open.

Most of the time it will be 2 of us in the house, using the main level mostly.

This sounds like a reasonable idea to me, and wonder if I am missing something.

Comments (20)