SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tastie_cereale

Brookings, Oregon gardening and fruit tree growing advice wanted!

Tastie Cereale
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi all,

I recently acquired my father's property a few miles north of Brookings. It's USDA 9b/ Sunset Zone 17. I'm excited because it's nearly the same conditions as my backyard in the SF bay area (I'm 10a/ 17).

The property is about 600 feet above sea level, 3/4 mile from the Ocean. It's above the fog line quite a bit in the summer- you can look down the road and see a massive fog bank while the sun shines above on the property.

My dad let many firs grow, so there's a mini forest, which works great as a wind block. To get more sun I'll have to thin some of them, but overall the sun/wind/temps up there seem very good for growing.

The problem I see so far is the clay soil, which I understand to be very acidic. Though I can put in raised beds for smaller plants, I want to grow stone fruit, as I do in my backyard in the bay area, but I'm not sure how well they'll do in heavy clay/acid. I can amend the soil, but would like to know what people have had luck growing up there.

Would love to hear from people living in the same area with experience and advice on what does well there.

Thanks.

Comments (2)