SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mvtullius

Growing Fruit Trees in Smart Pots

mvtullius
15 years ago

Does anyone have any experience and advice about growing trees (fruit trees in particular) in above ground Smart Pots? I would like to plant some bare root fruit trees in 20 gallon Smart Pots keeping the trees pruned to about 6' tall and keeping the trees in these pots for several years if possible. If circumstances allow I may plant the trees in the ground at that point or if that's not possible I would repot the trees.

(1) The fabric bottom of the Smart Pots will be in direct contact with the soil. Does this make the growing situation more like a raised bed than a container? I thought I read something to that effect on this forum but can't seem to find the post again.

(2) What would be a good planting mix? The manufacturer says that you want to use a more water retentive mix than for a regular pot. Do you think using more a more water retentive version of Al's gritty mix (such as 1 part bark fines and 2 parts Turface) would be a good idea?

I obtained a list of mixes that professional tree growers are using with the Smart Pot from the company (below). Any thoughts on whether any of these mixes would be good for what I want to do?

Thanks,

Michael

=============================

Florida

55% Peat

35% Pine Bark

10% Sand

Florida

50% Bark Mulch

30% Peat

20%Sand

Florida