SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daniel_cl

Smart pots & cheap plastic pots made smart

daniel_cl
13 years ago

About a month ago I bought a few "smart pots" online. So far the plants are doing fine in the fabric pots indoors.

But then I had this idea:

As far as I understand, there are a few unique functions of a smart pot:

(1) "Air prune". When the root cap reaches the air-dried fabric wall, they stop growing and start branching out. This reduces circling roots that can harm trees in the long run.

(2) Better aeration. Oxygen now enters the soil from all sides of the pot (if you do not sink the pot in the ground, or tight-fit it in another container).

(3) Better drainage. Extra water is drained through the numerous holes of the pot. (It is quite amusing to watch.) Water also evaporates from the sides.

(4) Keeping cool in hot summer. Although the fabric is black, the better aeration and evaporation capacity cools down the soil more quickly.

But I think we can easily achieve all of the above with a cheap plastic pot. Heck many of us probably have accidentally done that already. The thinner the plastic the better. Steps are listed below:

(A) Plant in the pot as normal. Water as normal.

(B) Push in on two opposite sides of the plastic pot. Since the pot is cheap and thin, it should allow you to deform it to an oval. When you release the pressure, the reasonably-moist soil should remain in an oval shape, leaving an air gap between the soil and the pot wall.

(C) Repeat the pressure treatment on all sides until you have a reasonably large gap on all sides of the pot. (You do compact the soil a bit. So don't overdo it.)

Now we should have a dirt-cheap smart pot:

(1) Air prune: roots stop growing once the root cap reaches the air gap. We never see any roots growing out of a cliff into air, right?

(2) Aeration. Oxygen is everywhere in the gaps.

(3) Drainage. Water overflows to the air gap to the pot and drains out.

(4) Keeping cool. The plastic pot itself can be warmed up by the sun, but the air gap acts as an insulating barrier.

So what else makes a smart pot special?

Comment (1)