SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dubfinberg

Chilies & tomatoes + Al's 5-1-1 + smart pots in a hot, dry climate

Cohumulone
8 years ago

Hi all,

This being my first post, I need to begin it on the proper note. I hope to someday have a garden which is as robust, educational, and thought-provoking as this forum! I've spent a few hours every night of the past week trying to read through this subsection of GW, and it seems like the more I read, the more subjects there are to cover! That's a great problem to have. Thanks especially to Tapla, but truly to everyone who's involved themselves in the Water Movement and Fertilizer Program threads. All of the posts, questions and answers both, have been tremendously fun to get lost in.

As you all probably will admit, the aforementioned threads contain so much information that it's really really hard to keep track of it all. As such, for my part I'll admit that I'll probably be asking a bunch of tired questions that you've answered several times already. For that I apologize. If it's easier for anyone to just reply with links or search terms instead of full-blown answers I won't be offended.

My situation is that I live in a house with only a small 8x8 porch to provide an area for me to grow outside. My kitchen has a few sizable windows in it, but they face southwest and are completely unshaded so they're a blast furnace of both heat and PAR come midsummer. The porch, though, is partially shaded by trees and faces north-ish, so hopefully that's more suitable? Furthermore, I live in the Bay Area, which is quite foggy in some parts, but not by me. I'm very much in a summertime sunbelt, and receive neither cool nor humidity from late June - late September. (I grant that this winter has been a complete change from the preceding 4 I've been through, but I can't quite bring myself to believe that it's going to make much difference in the climate 4 months from now. Hope for the best, expect the status quo.)

Welcome to the question zone!

- If I make a "big batch" of 5-1-1 as stated in the intro to the Container Soils thread, and screen it properly, roughly how many cu. ft. should I expect to end up with? I can see that this is very much dependent upon the material I start with, but even a ballpark estimate would help me as I've never made it before.

- Any ideas regarding amending the original recipe to better suit my needs?

- 5-1-1 is great because it drains. Smartpots are great because they drain. But is that going to cause problems in an arid spot like mine? Assuming the answer is something along the lines of DUH YES, what should I consider for fixes? Bigger pots? Different pots?

- I'm eyeballing those highly affordable Flowerhouse "portable greenhouses" and wondering if one of those on my porch might help deal with the low RH.

- I've got seedlings going for various chilies and small tomatoes, with five varieties of the former and three of the latter in 2" pots of ;( bagged starter mix. If I'm lucky enough to have all of them thrive until transplanting, should I expect issues in getting them to take in 5-1-1?

I could keep blathering but I think that's a good place to draw the line for now. Please hit me with any counterquestions, ideas, advice, scorn, or anything else which comes to mind. I'm not here to hop in and hop out once I get an answer, and I'm certainly not here to pick fights or cling to my preconceptions. I'm interested in learning and in exchanging ideas with a bunch of folks who have a ton more knowledge and gardening experience than I do. I may not be able to give back right away, but I will strive to pay whatever I learn forward in the way that you have already done in this forum.

Infinite thanks,

>Wyatt

Comments (7)