SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_willis1260

Utilizing Wall Space

Aimee Willis
2 years ago

Our living room is 11x25 with 8 ft ceilings. We spend a great deal of time in this room with our toddler. I’m finding that storage is becoming a huge issue for us though. We built a fireplace that became a wall focus for us, and I love it, but it’s very narrow because we didn’t want to lose much floor space and was trying to maintain the proper distance from tv to couch.

My question is with the rest of the wall space. I was thinking of doing cabinets from one end of the wall up to the fireplace, but with my fireplace being narrow, would you want to put cabinets along the side that would stick out farther than the fireplace?
Im going to move the book shelf upstairs.

From the end of fireplace to the end of the wall, I have 15’ of free space. The depth of the fireplace is 7” (14” with the mantle), would you want to put cabinets along the side that would stick out farther than the fireplace? Most wall cabinets would be 12”.

I just feel like I have no where to stick my child’s toys and this used to be a living/dining room combo which I converted into a living/play room. I still have boxes of dishes that I haven’t been able to store because I gave it away when I converted the room. My thought were that I could use the cabinets for storage and put high shelves for my plates.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz