SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

Recommendation for Architects/stock plans that utilize space well

kam76
11 years ago

I know each design from an architect is going to be different and some plans are going to be more efficient that others but do have a favorite architect/stock home plan site that seems to really take into consideration the prudent use of space?

I see people posting plans and all the great feedback they get from the knowledgeable folks on this site but it is amazing to me that these people are going to trained architects and yet they are coming up with plans that have so many "problems".

Every square foot counts when you are building (or at least it does to me, with our budget) and I am seeing so many designs with what I consider useless space. I know that "useless" is relative, but a 15 foot hallway that winds around the back of an interior kitchen seems silly. Or having a narrow, non-functional formal living room while you already have a family room but in turn not having a decent entry/foyer or coat closet. It would be nice to see plan that takes into consideration the building process as well, some of these houses can be gorgeous but the framing/roofing quickly make them unattainable.

I have looked on the websites of several architects in my area and frankly I am not impressed ( I am hoping I have just been looking at the wrong sites). I know you work with the architect to get what you want, but if I am going to pay someone that much money I want them to come to the table with the expertise to maximize space.

If it helps we are a family of 4 (2 young kids) and we plan to create our homestead and die here 50 years from now :)
In the pacific northwest (gloomy doomy)
5 acre flat lot with lots of trees (would like a view out the back)
Houses here are built with crawlspace/ no basement
~2400 square feet
3 bedrooms + small office
2 car garage
master on main (not required but full bath+ bedroom on main for when we are 80 and can't get up the stairs)
separate mudroom (utility room) entrance
kitchen that is against an outside wall (natural light)
small covered back porch
for the "looks" we like craftsman, farmhouse, cottage, bungalow
My husband is quite handy and is a woodworker so I know we can add a lot of character after the fact, but we really need some good "bones" to start with.

Comments (7)