SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baltra_gw

In a pickle! Architect didn't measure or include electrical plan

BalTra
12 years ago

Hello all,

I'm in a pickle!

After months of trying to DIY, I hired an architect to do the drawings for my kitchen remodel.

She did not include in the drawing location for electrical outlets, switches. She did not include specifications for lighting.

She never measured the space, just used the (fairly rough) measurements I made.

She spent, I think, 30 hours on drawings. Now lets me know I must pay hourly.

Because she did not measure, when it came time to layout/order the cabinets, the sink cabinet has to shift way over to accommodate plumbing, which moves the cooktop adjacent to the window, which necessitates a completely different layout of the upper cabs.

There has been no "coordination" (see contract below) with my contractor.

I would like: Electrical outlet and Lighting layout; To have drawings of what the cabinetry will look like with actual measurements taken into account. The kitchen will now look absolutely nothing like the original drawings I fell in love with.

And my electrician, probably fairly, wants a drawing. Now.

And I don't know how to do one, don't know what lighting I need based on the space, etc.

I don't even know what it is I don't know or what I need to know!

I'm cross-posting in lighting as there may be different responses to this in the two forums.

Where do I start??? Do I have 'grounds' to ask her to do another drawing without charging me? See contract below.

Poor planning on my part, to be sure. I was under the silly impression that hiring an architect would keep these kind of problems from coming up.

THANKS FOR ADVICE!

Details of my contract with architect below:

CONTRACT:

"Step 1:

one hour consultation + existing measurements.

Step 2:

choose from one of three fabulous styles:

traditional

contemporary

modern

Step 3:

select your budget:

low

medium

high

Step 4:

choose your palete

neutral

bold

earthy

Step 5:

meet the kitchen design of your dreams.

Step 6:

refreshing begins.

Step 7:

love your kitchen.

cost to refresh:

for a fee of $3,000 you will receive drawings showing one professionally created "green" kitchen concept and material

palete; friendly service; and coordination with fabricators, manufacturers and contractors. a deposit of $1,500 is

required to commence services. if within 30 days a cabinet order is placed through X, 50% of this fee will

be credited toward your order.

the fine print:

concept palete includes cabinets, flooring, counter, backsplash, and wall color selections, and plumbing fixture and appliance recommendations.

X may not supply some of the recommended products, but will provide you with details of distribution. in order to provide you this terrific service,

only one substitution per palete choice is allowed. time dedicated to additional substitutions will be billed at an hourly rate of $90. we do not fabricate

or install the products and we cannot be liable for their performance or installation. we will recommend and coordinate with a reputable contractor to

refresh your kitchen. budget is based on layout + material cost. we do not provide construction cost estimates for deconstruction, plumbing, electrical,

painting or any associated construction work."

Comments (22)