SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamar_kornbluth

What finish to use on black stairs?

T F
2 years ago

Hi! I’m currently in the process on building a house - I love the light wood look so we upgraded the hardwood flooring (open concept, all hardwood upstairs and downstairs) to be white oak to be able to achieve that look. I spoke to my builder today and he informed me that because I didn’t ask for it, he didn’t switch the staircase to be white oak and that’s red oak! Because it will never match the light matte floor I’m doing all over the house I decided to just stain the treads, spindles and railings with Duraseal true black - I’ve seen photos of black staircases with light contrasting floors and I love the look. My question is really on the finish. My white oak floors are going to be a very light natural color with matte finish. What finish should I go with for the black staircase? Matte, satin, semi gloss or high gloss? Part of me is thinking the high gloss for a cool contrast but a) will it look funny against the matte light floor? And b) is high gloss very slippery? My staircase has a landing so it isn’t very steep but I do have kids… I’m attaching a photo of a house that has a similar color light floor to my future one that has a black staircase as well. Thank you for your help!

Comments (21)