SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rossdan84

House Plan Advice Requested

Ross H
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

It looks like my next move will be into a new house instead of existing. I can't find a houseplan I like, so I've decided to design my own. My goal is to sketch out the layout myself and then have an architect create the blueprints and exterior elevations. I'll attach the design here - can y'all please provide your advice, feedback, things you'd change, etc.?

Here's what is important to me:

-So many houseplans are what I call "all garage", tacking it onto the front of the house like a big block. That's why I designed the garage here to be even with the front of the house.

-I'll be in Tennessee, so the front and back porches are important to me. I also have a thing about symmetry, so that's why the front door is right in the middle of the porch.

-I have a big immediate family (if I host, there will be 12), so that's why I put the screen porch off the dining room to help add extra seating areas. I'm hoping I have room for 8 at the inside dining table and 4 at the peninsula.

-I'll be living alone, but I'd like enough room to host the family and any other occasion that may come up.

-I'll be working from home, so that's why I have the front left bedroom labeled as an office.

Things I might change (already):

-Eliminating the side porch (would put an exterior door in the garage) so that utility room will have three sides of the room for storage, etc.

-Reconfiguring the back left bedroom to make the bathroom ensuite or at least Jack & Jill. On the off chance that one of my parents my need to move in with me, I'd like for them to have their own suite.

Here's a plan I somewhat liked and used as my basis: https://www.houseplans.com/plan/2115-square-feet-3-bedroom-2-bathroom-2-garage-farmhouse-country-ranch-craftsman-sp222463

Thanks everyone!

Comments (16)