SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Q: Pork roast doneness question

petalique
2 years ago

Q: Pork roast doneness question

I’m going to make a large rolled boneless pork loin and I’m going to have an herb “crust” (herbs, flour and salt and pepper) on it.

I’m reading online that the internal temperature for a cooked pork loin roast should be about 140°F.

I think the last one I made I only cook to about 114°F (3 1/2 pound roast, boneless) Then took it out of the oven to let it rest, tented with aluminum foil, for about 20 minutes. And the temperature climb to about 125°F. I did this because I had read something online and or in a cookbook that said to have the internal temperature be about 114°F before removing it from the oven and tented it while it rested.

That was about four months ago and I’ve already forgotten. But I did it this way because I had instructed my sister to cook a roast until the internal temperature was 145°F and she reported back that it was very dry. And then I remembered reading something about “newer cleaner pork doesn’t have to be cooked to death like the old days.” So that is what motivated me to not cook my last roast to 145°F.

I’d appreciate the input from folks here.

It has a little bit of a fat cap and it’s a 6 pound roast but I may cut off a little bit of it before cooking it to using something else so it may turn out to be only a 4 1/2 or 5 pound roast. But again you cook to the internal temperature not to the per pound estimate. I have a probe thermometer that Can reach to the inside of the oven so I can monitor the temperature and even set an alarm. But I really do not want a dried out pork roast. Oh, and this one is center cut as well. Doesn’t that tend to be a dryer cut?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (12)