SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_435089996

New Fully-Variable Communicating HVAC System (Lennox, Trane, Carrier)

W. S C
2 years ago

We are in the process of a remodel of our home in Seattle. 1910 home, about 3800 sq. ft.

As part of the remodel, we'll be replacing the HVAC system and we are planning on going with one of the fully-variable/modulating, communicating systems from either Trane, Lennox or Carrier (i.e., Greenspeed Intelligence, Dave Lennox Signature iComfort, Trane Comfortlink). System will be heat pump/gas furnace combo. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with any of these systems, or know of any reason to go with one brand over another (specifically with respect to this type of system). It seems as though you can find reviews online of people saying they prefer all three of these brands over the others, so they sort of seem equivalent to me (and like I should just decide based on price/availability).

2. In particular, does anyone have experience with the proprietary thermostats that you use with each? This is my biggest reservation. You need to use the communicating thermostat that goes with the system, and I am concerned about that kind of proprietary tech from a company that isn't in that business. There are all sorts of reviews that the thermostats are incredibly buggy, updating constantly, and the tech is clunky. This isn't surprising to me, but I want to see if that's just a slight inconvenience or if that really ruins the whole system. (If so, I would just go a level down and use a Nest thermostat or something).

3. There seems to be a lot of advice that the installation/installer matters more than the system in many ways. Does anyone (local to Seattle) have info on who is good? There are lots of reviews online for the dealers who install these systems generally, but more I am looking for if anyone local has had one of these put in and thought their installer specifically did a really good job.

Many thanks

Comments (6)