SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly23675

Does a ductless range hood insert need to have open ventilation?

Holly
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My husband and I built this custom frame for a ductless range hood insert. It will be trimmed with shiplap and reclaimed barn wood. We are unsure about what to do with the top. The insert is designed to recirculate the air back into the room. The air will be sucked in through the bottom, pass through a carbon filter inside the unit, and then the fresh air will be blow out the top.

I know that a lot of people put these types of inserts inside cabinets, or the top of the custom hood cover goes all the way up to the ceiling (our ceiling is 12 ft, so the hood won't come close to touching it). So I'm thinking there's probably nothing wrong with us closing in the top to avoid having dust collect inside the cover. I'd much rather dust off the top than try to get inside there to clean it out. However, my husband is worried that the air won't have anywhere to go if the exit vent is completely enclosed - NOT covered, just enclosed in the box. I think that's silly. I mean, it's not like it will be airtight, even when its trimmed out. Then again, it is a small space. and I do worry about humidity and moisture building up inside there.

Please settle this discussion. With a ductless range hood system inside a custom cover, do we cover the top or leave it open? Maybe close it with a piece of plywood, but drill a few holes for air and moisture to escape? Make a hole with a screen or a vent? What is the industry standard for this?

Here is a inspiration picture that is similar to what our hood cover will look like when it's done, except ours will not go all the way the ceiling:

Modern Farmhouse Kitchen · More Info

Comments (6)