SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steph_michelle35

I have no eye for design can someone let me know if my ideas are ok?

Steph Michelle
2 years ago

I am renovating a short term rental. I want it to be modern, non trendy so it ensures, and light. I have a limited budget (70kish not including pool). I asked a friend who I thought was good at this for help with what should stay and go but I googled all her thoughts and the internet said it will date the house (subway tiles, all white bathroom, two level counters, etc)

Can you guys let me know your thoughts on the following: please ignore all furniture, fans, lighting fixtures, pot racks, window blinds, etc - I am removing it all and will replace during decorating step.

1. Keep blue awnings bc in good shape but paint exterior of house white. Keep rockwall the same color? Or paint it grey and white? Remove water fountain thing.
  2. Keep floor but clean and seal it so it shines
  3. Smooth the textured walls and popcorn ceilings. Remove weird niche in living room and Column in kitchen if possible. Paint whole house white
  4. Keep bedrooms as is. I hate the mirror closets but maybe I should keep them because people need full length mirrors
  5. Keep the kitchen wood cabinets bc in good shape but make the counter one level, see if I can remove the half wall under the second tier and make the counter not stick out into tiny dining room so much. Change the granite to a light color. Put recessed and flat mounted lighting everywhere to make bright. Remove all random shelves on walls.
  6. Keep the bathtub in guest bath for kids but otherwise gut it and just a modern whiteish bathroom with a single half door or frameless sliding if I have to for the bathtub - I hate sliding doors
  7. For the master bathroom I removed the Toilet room (not handicapped friendly) and gutted it also - I plan on making a giant double shower and again just various whites and grey maybe? I'm thinking no freestanding bath needed.
  8. I am fencing the yard and will clean up all the shrubs and rocks and wood chips - but not sure what to do with it - I need easy maintenance
  9. The deck is in good condition I plan to keep it as is and if we can fit a small pool per the city setback rules put a longish skinny pool behind the deck.
  10. All the door and windows are hurricane strength so even though some are frosted It's worth keeping bc new hurricane doors are very expensive

What does every one think? Anything not worth it or anything really an emergency

Comments (6)